Yellow antifreeze?

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
Finally checked the two antifreeze containers and I am baffled by the baffles. Owner's manual confusing. Any real world experiences in adding fluid? Both look low to me. Book says 50-50 mix. Is this the way it comes from the jug? Must I use Motorcraft brand? Do I need an oil change after 350 miles and 13 months? Is the K&N brand better than Motorcraft, can it void my new car warranty? Have been driving over 40 years but never had so many questions about maintenance. My dealer service dept. never worked on a GT, maybe better off taking it to a good mechanic?

leon

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
leon said:
Finally checked the two antifreeze containers and I am baffled by the baffles. Owner's manual confusing. Any real world experiences in adding fluid? Both look low to me. Book says 50-50 mix. Is this the way it comes from the jug? Must I use Motorcraft brand? Do I need an oil change after 350 miles and 13 months? Is the K&N brand better than Motorcraft, can it void my new car warranty? Have been driving over 40 years but never had so many questions about maintenance. My dealer service dept. never worked on a GT, maybe better off taking it to a good mechanic?

leon

Whew - deep breath

First off the antifreeze. The GT has an all aluminum cooling system. Motorcraft antifreeze is designed for use in these systems like in the Cobra Mustangs.... Use only Motorcraft or a like type from Zerex. DO NOT MIX THE GREEN PRESTONE TYPE. It won't mix! And yes you have to add the 50/50 water.

Second Oil - to each his preference. Mine was changed at 500 mi. and at 5,000 mi. Again to each his preference based on driving stlye, tracking etc... Last oil change cost $166 for the 12 quarts of Motocraft 5/50, filter and the time...

Third K&N - search the site type in keyword K&N. Look for the posting and thread from Analogdesigner and Centerpunch It's one of the best I've seen on the topic. I'm leaving mine FoMoCo

Fourth - you need to find a dealer with a service manager that likes the car as much as you do. I'm lucky as my dealer takes as good as care of the car as I do.

Last one - Drive it like a car that should be driven. Watch out for the idiots who drift into your lane when they are trying to take a picture of you with their camera phones and have fun with the car as it was designed to do.

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
Again, thankyou for your advice.

leon

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Leon, many of us got our first oil changes free from the selling dealer. Had mine done at 1K. It takes some time, they usually let you watch. Make sure when they first go to start the car after the change that they floor it to build up oil pressure first (engine won't start). Make sure they do it on DRIVE ON lift and put some boards in front of the lift to not scrape the front diffuser. SVT dealers usually know this.