WTB - BMW Z3 M coupe

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Have decided to look for a very nice used example of the early Z3 M coupe - I would really appreciate it if you would let me know if you have the lead to one.

Ideal configuration:

Imola red, Black interior (2 tone red/Black also ok), S54 motor (but S52 also of interest) sunroof, original, non damage, perfect service record, max 50K miles.

BMW Z3 M coupe.jpg

Thanks
Anders

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The Shoe. Such a BMW oddity but a fantastic car. Good luck with the search, Anders.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Only BMW I ever liked was the 507 -

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark

I guess we all like the cars that were cool when we were kids :rofl:facepalm::wink

I think a red Z3M coupe could be a nice companion to my near perfect 88 Porsche 944 turbo

IMG_1651.jpg

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
..... could be a nice companion to my near perfect 88 Porsche 944 turbo

View attachment 32103

I wanted one of those really bad in the day. Never pulled the trigger.

Nice car!

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have always liked these and looked into picking one up earlier this year. Make sure you check into the subframe and rod bearing issues.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I guess we all like the cars that were cool when we were kids :rofl:facepalm::wink

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia

A gorgeous car. They have a perfect one at the BMW museum in Munich. Worth the trip.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have always liked these and looked into picking one up earlier this year. Make sure you check into the subframe and rod bearing issues.

I have the convertible version with the Dinan (Vortech) supercharger. Fun car. Not sure if this is the same as the subframe issue, but my mechanic beefed up the differential attach points. Easy fix, and apparently expensive if it breaks.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark

This is the first time I hear of this type of problems. Can you tell more?

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The rod bearing issue is only for the S54 where they require replacement. As 33Bravo mentioned, the subframe welds need to be reinforced in the trunk area, but this is for all models. There are also reinforcement kits available that can be welded in.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
The rod bearing issue is only for the S54 where they require replacement. As 33Bravo mentioned, the subframe welds need to be reinforced in the trunk area, but this is for all models. There are also reinforcement kits available that can be welded in.

It´s probably more likely that I find a car in Germany and then it is the S50 model. I´ll look into if that has same issues as the S54 model.

Since this will probaby do double duty as wifes summer daily driver as well, I´m actually considering also to include the 2.8/3.0 versions as everyone I have talked to seems to almost prefer this over the more powerful 321 hp version?

I´ll take my time to find the right car :)

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006

I think a red Z3M coupe could be a nice companion to my near perfect 88 Porsche 944 turbo

View attachment 32103

Like usual interesting choices Anders. A couple of years ago a friend took me out in his red 944 turbo on a road course and was it ever fun. Amazing overall performance, balance and grip. He had also upgraded the turbo. Confidence inspiring to say the least. Back in 1986 my private car dealer employer at the time had just purchased one in red and required me to race him in a traded in 1982 911 turbo which had some motor mods done to it. It was basically a rolling start to about 160 mph. The 911 prevailed however the 944 did surprisingly well.
I hated my job.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah the 944 Turbo is surprisingly well balanced - and even now 25 years old - it still feels quite modern on the stree/track.
Mine has a few upgrades and according to Porsche experts, should have closer to 300 hp - but not really a dragracing car - more quick passing or high speed in the twisties .. :wink

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I had a 944 Turbo in red and it was a great car!