Wow!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Time flies. We're trying to massively rearrange everything around the house so we were digging through all our boxes. Came across some magazines from yesteryear about the old GT.

First one is Motor Trend from March of 2003. There's an article called "Update 2003: Ford GT, Making its Way From Concept to Production". There's a couple funny things to note, including a "goal (that) is 500-plus horsepower)", and a "Ferrari 360 Modena Performance to Beat of 12.25@113.53" in the 1/4 mile. I think that whopping 113 got beat. Just a bit. :lol

There's also an interview with Camilo in the same issue, including the quote "Health Food is good, and we need to eat it. But it's also time for dessert!". :lol

Then I've got the November 2003 Automobile, which pits a Ford GT, Ferrari 360 and Lambo Gallardo against each other. They say "Those lucky enough to coax the Ford GT off the lot for the 'substaintially less than $150,000' list price will have scored the deal of the century." Whoops. It also lists an estimated top speed of 190. I'd say 212 slightly clears it!

The Automobile article closes by saying "The Ford GT is more than a Ferrari-thumping power-to-weight ratio. It goes beyond the performance-per-dollar deal you can enjoy with the Lamborghini Gallardo. Look at the Ford GT as rolling history, your small part of a monumental achievement. Grab one if you can."

High praise indeed. If anything, re-reading these articles just makes me irritated Ford failed to capitalize more on such a phenomenal vehicle. Those that own it know what a sensational vehicle it is...it's insane to think it's just a one-off. Enjoy it while you can.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Not to take one dang thing away from what Ford accomplished with the GT, I can't help to draw comparisons to what Honda did with the NSX a decade and a half earlier (1990). Both Honda and Ford targetted Ferrari as the benchmark for performance. Both companies accomplished their objective of besting the then-current Ferrari but neither company truly understood how to capitalize on all that they accomplished. Ford jumps out of the GT market after just two years. Honda, in contrast, stays with the NSX through 2005 - though they failed to make any significant changes throughout the car's 15-year tenure. Selling roughly 300 copies a year for the last few years of it's run, Honda was clearly losing money near the end.

The GT is rolling proof of what a great company called Ford can accomplish with a clear vision, the right people, a whole lot of passion, and a lot of history to draw upon. Though I enjoy the "presumed-better" appreciation aspects of Ford never doing another supercar, I'd gladly sacrifice my financial future to witness Ford to do it again and again showing the rest of World what we are capable of.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't think the NSX even sold 2000 copies during the good years. I would have to believe the whole NSX program was a financial lost. Great car in its days. My old boss had one and I was amazed at how civilized it was in town, while still performing very well at the track. Great brakes to the point of melting the plastic valve caps in the pits without any fade.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Just came back from Monterey car week. Chasing arround with Enzo's, 599's, Veyrons, Vectors, Lambos galore and more F cars than anywhere except maybe the 60th at Maranello. Can't tell you how #1153 turns heads and gets cell phone photo'd in that company. Yup, brought the correct car, she is a keeper :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Just came back from Monterey car week. Chasing arround with Enzo's, 599's, Veyrons, Vectors, Lambos galore and more F cars than anywhere except maybe the 60th at Maranello. Can't tell you how #1153 turns heads and gets cell phone photo'd in that company. Yup, brought the correct car, she is a keeper :)

Especially with all of the custom carbon fiber stuff. Kip's center console is a real show piece!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Need the CF spoiler and vents... and ... and...