Wireless carplay or android auto

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Has anyone looked into replacing the radio with a modern single din wireless android auto or carplay unit?

Years ago I replaced my Sanyo with a single din JVC nav unit, but by today's standards it has a very clunky interface. Plus its too far away and small for it to be of much use with my poor eyes.

I have wireless AA in my wife's VW GTI and it's so simple to give voice commands and have the map and route pop up.

The are tons if units from China on Amazon that look like they could work. $100-300. Some have larger screens that slide up/down, tilt and pan, but still have single din chassis.

My car is stored for the season now, so I won't try anything until spring, but thought I should check in here.
Thanks

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The location is awkward and too far away, and single DIN makes it hard to see. Some years ago, a number of us went with a Bluetooth dongle and that plugs into the RCA aux jacks on the back of the Mac. Then do everything from your phone.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
I have often looked at the Porsche head unit. No idea how this may or may not work with the setup in the GT but I think it is worth an investigation. To be clear the screen is so small I see no value in maps but would like the carplay function. I have an ‘84 911 that I will be installing one in this car after the first of the year (and once it has the engine and trans. again)

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
If there was a way to relocate the starter button pod, it might free up much needed viewing space to fit a unit with a 9-10" movable screen.
I know in the past Kip? had a double DIN option, but I don't think it is available anymore.

If I upgrade from the old JVC with new single DIN unit I get more usable screen space.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231120_235159_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231120_235159_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230703_145220.jpg
    20230703_145220.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 34

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
I’m working on a better solution than replacing the headunit with an ugly aftermarket unit. Should have some more details in the next few weeks.

It will be in a rearview mirror, connect to factory headunit for audio, have 4k front and rear cameras (recording or reverse) and do CarPlay.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Following.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I’m working on a better solution than replacing the headunit with an ugly aftermarket unit. Should have some more details in the next few weeks.

It will be in a rearview mirror, connect to factory headunit for audio, have 4k front and rear cameras (recording or reverse) and do CarPlay.
Interesting, looking forward to it. Will the new mirror still have the dome light feature?

Reactions: Red-Rocket

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Interesting, looking forward to it. Will the new mirror still have the dome light feature?
I have never seen an aftermarket mirror with the gt dome lights. I talked to gentex who makes most of the self dimming lights with cameras etc but they said the numbers were too small. Even at 100% market penetration 4000 wasn't enough

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If there was a way to relocate the starter button pod, it might free up much needed viewing space to fit a unit with a 9-10" movable screen.
I know in the past Kip? had a double DIN option, but I don't think it is available anymore.

If I upgrade from the old JVC with new single DIN unit I get more usable screen space.
Kip did a double din housing in carbon fiber that relocated the start button and I think the charge port but he hasn't made them for ages

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I have never seen an aftermarket mirror with the gt dome lights. I talked to gentex who makes most of the self dimming lights with cameras etc but they said the numbers were too small. Even at 100% market penetration 4000 wasn't enough
Rich Brooks installed in mine an aftermarket mirror with built-in backup camera display, and I think he also installed these light strips attached to the top of the windshield. They come on with the door open and light the interior great, although I don't think they dim:
pxl_20211024_220127749a-jpg.64417

pxl_20211025_041656897a-jpg.64420

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Kip did a double din housing in carbon fiber that relocated the start button and I think the charge port but he hasn't made them for ages
I purchased Kips Double din molds and we produce them on a small scale for folks that are interested in Carbon fiber.

Mark H.
M2K Motorsports, LLC

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
They've got some pretty good rear view mirror cams that can be hard wired ,that slip over your existing mirror with rubber straps very cleanly ,leaving any dome light visible

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Rich Brooks installed in mine an aftermarket mirror with built-in backup camera display, and I think he also installed these light strips attached to the top of the windshield. They come on with the door open and light the interior great, although I don't think they dim:
pxl_20211024_220127749a-jpg.64417

pxl_20211025_041656897a-jpg.64420
I did the same exact thing and think it’s terrific

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I find the power point blue tooth adapter adequate
Or you could just enjoy the drive and enjoy the music the engine notes!!

Reactions: Submoose

Red-Rocket

Oct 6, 2015
New Mexico
I purchased Kips Double din molds and we produce them on a small scale for folks that are interested in Carbon fiber.

Mark H.
M2K Motorsports, LLC
Can you DM with pictures and pricing? For whatever reason the pictures in this thread aren't loading....