Willow Springs best lap times

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
The best lap I ran during the last TallGuy driving school at Willow Spring was a 1:37 (As fast as my courage would allow). I had Hoosiers but everything else was stock. What is the best time a GT has had at Willow Springs (stock and modded)?

From another thread I found this,
Lap Times at Willow Springs:

2008 Viper ACR 1:29.33
2008 Viper Coupe 1:32.19
2008 Lambo Gallardo Superleggera 1:32.47
2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 1:33.14
2008 Lambo Gallardo 1:34.32
2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S 1:37.09

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
32's the same day as you with the same set up. Hannemann ran a 31:thumbsup in the same car. A GTX. I couldn't run fast laps in the GT as it developed an overheating issue.

-Kent

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Hannemann shaved many seconds off my time, I hoping to do better at the next driving school. Hey Kent, are you going to Willow on March 11th?

My reason for starting this new post is to see how the GT compares to other great track cars, and to see where I stack up personally.

Steve Millen posted most of the times listed in this post. I would be curious to see his best time at Willow driving the FGT.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
The 1:37 is very respectable at this track for a novice in a $180k supercar. The fear factor of damage alone will slow you down some:thumbsup.

The 1:32 Kent posted is a smokin fast time on this track for a car with only a set of Hoosiers. :eek

After driving other peoples cars at track days you tend to run a notch lower than your caged factory racer. A 31 in a street driven car is almost heroic for an instructor. If with passenger, figure about 1-2 seconds faster without.

The biggest time differences on this track seam to be in turns 2, 8 and 9. And to some extent how fast you get back on the gas out of 1.

I do not know how much seat time you have, but my guess is that you will best your old times by at least 3 seconds this time out. Great times require lots of courage through 8. The track has gotten very bumpy here over the last few years. Some lanes feel better than others. This is also a difficult turn because it is hard to get any good reference points for the set up to 9. This causes you to lift too early in an effort to find the proper turn in point.

I have yet to run this track in the GT, but this is thee track where it should shine. The fastest track in the West. Easy on brakes and you can use the torque without having to max rpms. Nice long back straight and long front. You should be just topping 150 on the front if you exit 9 correctly, maybe more in the GT.

That said, I have maybe 50 days on this track over the years and and ran about what you ran in my C5 ZO6 on Eagles, the first time out in it. On Nittos I have run a best of 1:29:19. I really don't think I have the courage to go any faster here in that car. But, one of the C5R team drivers posted a high 1:26 on showroom stock Goodyears for a magazine test. Rupert Bragg Smith ran a low 28 something in a C5Z with a set of slicks and some minor chassis mods. He also managed to go off at 9 that day. But dusted off and went right back at it.

There are plenty of POC members running 27-28 here in race prepared cars on full slicks.

It all comes down to seat time and courage. The car is way faster than the C5 Z06. But the extra power is only usable on certain parts of the track.

The numbers posted do not always tell the story of the car, the rubber they run, cage vs. no cage. You are doing great!. Just drive at your comfort level here and notch it up a little at a time. Getting a good reference point for 8 is key. Get Neil to help you through here. Remember every confidence lift is 1 second. Count them back when you pit. I will bet if you are like most you will find the following.

Turn 1 brake zone =1, Turn two, if you have to correct = 1, Turn 6 bottom of the hill late on the gas=1, Turn 8 entry lift and brake tap=1 - 2. There are the 4-6 seconds that would normally show up if data logged for most any novice driver on this track.

Keep the shiny side up:thumbsup

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Edson, keep in mind that track conditions, especially weather, can change track times from day to day a couple seconds. Add in the couple seconds tires make to a cars lap times Then there's set up. And drivers. I'm sure you get the point.

I might make it to the GT event on the 11th. I should know by Thursday. How many cars are signed up? Last event the five of us owned the track. That was nice:biggrin

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
A friend of mine did 1:29 a couple of weeks ago in a bone stock (including tires) '08 viper. these cars are scary fast. People will die.

Craig

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
A friend of mine did 1:29 a couple of weeks ago in a bone stock (including tires) '08 viper. these cars are scary fast. People will die.

Craig

Sounds like someone with lots of seat time. Balls of steel, driving a disposable car. :banana

The Viper has a alot more tire than a GT, as I recall it pulls more G's, brakes make no major diff on this track IMO. But the Viper I hear does stop shorter. Most of the time it's the driver in these comparisons NOT the car. The Viper is a worthy track car for sure. But it's more about the driver than the car....read on.....

Stunt man Steve Kelso holds a track record here for AS with a 1:31.31 and change. This is in 1996 and still standing. Stunts if you are reading this you know this guy, he also won the Runnoff's @ Mid-Ohio that year. That was a 305 4bbl Camaro making about 290 flywheel hp, The car weighed about 2850 . I clocked that lap. I couldn't believe it at the time. We were running a 93 Mustang and also turned a 29.9xxx that day. We thought we owned the place with our lap, 1 lap later we got smoked. But you have to respect that lap as it still stands with looser rules 12 years later. This boy can drive.

The all time track record here is by Michael Andretti 1:06:05, but that was an Indy car in 1987.

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/trackinformation/records.asp

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
love it

Thanks Cobra R for the great track info as always. I'll get to that track later this year I hope.

Craig - "People will die"... With a smile on their face!!!!

Ed

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
my brother has lapped willow springs BIG track in his formula mazda at 1:19 and i lapped it at 1:34 in my datsun 240-Z. i look forward to racing my viper there someday. i think i can run a 1:29 in my ACR.

Last edited:

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
This is also a difficult turn because it is hard to get any good reference points for the set up to 9. This causes you to lift too early in an effort to find the proper turn in point.

I was there this past weekend for the first time running in the Radical Cup race. Theres a tall white structure off in the distance (maybe a silo?) that seemed like a great turn in reference for turn nine. When I was lined up with that I knew it was time to turn and get on it. The tricky part for me was having the balls to get more outside there.....next time I guess.
It's such a fun track...sooooo fast. Turn 8 is flat out in the Radical...breath the throttle going into 9 and hope for the best! :eek
The fastest guys in our group we're running 21's......I'm a newbie still and could only muster a low 28.
I did meet our own Bart Carter there for the first time....great guy.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I was there this past weekend for the first time running in the Radical Cup race. Theres a tall white structure off in the distance (maybe a silo?) that seemed like a great turn in reference for turn nine. When I was lined up with that I knew it was time to turn and get on it. The tricky part for me was having the balls to get more outside there.....next time I guess.
It's such a fun track...sooooo fast. Turn 8 is flat out in the Radical...breath the throttle going into 9 and hope for the best! :eek
The fastest guys in our group we're running 21's......I'm a newbie still and could only muster a low 28.
I did meet our own Bart Carter there for the first time....great guy.

Thanks, nice meeting you too! :biggrin

For comparison, here are the NASA time trial records for Willow Springs:

Willow Springs International Raceway
Class No. Name Vehicle Time Date
TTR 4 Bart Carter 05 Radical SR8 1:20.27 5/25/08
TTU 66 Russell Warr 04 Subaru STi 1:26.73 8/5/06
TTS 7 Scott Howard 85 Mazda RX7 1:28.82 5/25/08
TTA 212 Patrick Lindsey 01 Audi S4 1:29.48 2/11/06
TTB 81 Keith Parker 72 Corvette 1:33.12 9/11/05
TTC 777 Greg Greenbaum 04 Dodge Neon SRT4 1:33.99 9/11/05
TTD 777 Shawn Dolan 01 Pontiac Firebird 1:36.25 2/10/08
TTE 18 Dan Gardner 07 Scion Tc 1:37.47 8/12/07
TTF 321 Dan Gardner 91 Nissan NX2000 1:41.21 5/7/06

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Just in case anyone is still interested in this thread, Neil Hanneman, Bob Blizzard (one of our instructors) and myself were at Willow Springs today getting ready for our GT School coming up in March. I ran a 1:28.7 lap with a bone stock GT on Hoosier R6 tires. I think there's still a bit more to go.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Next school date

Richard,

Do you have a school date yet?

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Bart,

We are having a two day GT School at Willow Springs on March 9th and 10th. The 9th is on the Streets of Willow and the skid pad and there are two openings available. The 10th is on the Big Track at Willow Springs and is sold out.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Richard,
Please put me down for the Streets.

All the best....
Rick

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Rick,

It would be a pleasure to have you in the GT School again. I will mark you down for one of the two available spots on Monday March 9th. We will be doing a buffet dinner the evening before at the Lancaster Valley Inn so if you would like to attend, just let me know, my treat.

Richard Hille
The GT School

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Well Guys,

The GT School is again full, so thanks for all the interest.
I will let the Forum know when we have another School planned.

Richard Hille
The GT School