Will Vinyl Wrap Damage Original Paint?

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
I’m thinking about vinyl wrapping my white/blue stripe GT in matte black. I just wanted to know if the vinyl will damage the original paint job at all?

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
No, it should not. Ford did an excellent job on the GT's paint. I have heard of instances where the wrap pulled off paint but that was on trailers where paint was of questionable quality and preparation standards. Go for it :cheers

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I’m thinking about vinyl wrapping my white/blue stripe GT in matte black. I just wanted to know if the vinyl will damage the original paint job at all?

I saw this done on a One-Lap FGT last year. Saw the same car with wrap removed, and according to the owner no problems or damages at all.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 Factors.

How long will you keep the wrap on and how much sun (heat) will the car be exposed to. We had a lot of trouble with this in AZ on cars that sat in our 100+ degree sun for an entire summer. Promotional cars and vans were wrapped and displayed at shopping centers where they were often left in direct sun light every day for weeks on end. The UV proof, indestructible, never damage the paint, wrap got hard as a rock AND.....damaged the paint. Your flat black wrap will absorb more heat than any other color so I advise caution unless it's a short term thing or the car will seldom sit in the sun. JMO

Chip

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

'BLACK 'WRAP??? AND YOU THINK YOU HAVE HEATING PBLMS WITH YOUR GT NOW?????!!! YEEEEE GADS!!!:eek:eek:eek :willy

Where you live, the WHITE paint on your GT is the best of all possible colors. IMHO you really ought to leave it that way regardless of whether wrapping it will or will not cause damage to the paint. :wink:thumbsup:cheers

(My own view is the wrap would WELD ITSELF to the paint in all that desert heat. ESPECIALLY a black wrap! 'No color absorbs heat better! :ack)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
EP is right, no need to wrap your car, EP never did and his paint was pristine!

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
EP is right, no need to wrap your car, EP never did and his paint was pristine!

Not exactly true .................EP wrapped his GT with his garage.

And that's what I do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Ask Arya that just purchased a GT. He had a saleen mustang with a wrap on it and when it was removed it pulled a few spots on the paint. Too much risk IMHO

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Ask Arya that just purchased a GT. He had a saleen mustang with a wrap on it and when it was removed it pulled a few spots on the paint. Too much risk IMHO

I wrapped 4 E-150 vans in black(originally white) in the last two days for a Canadian brewer. Vinyl wraps will not disturb FACTORY paint. And 3M, Avery, etc will gaurantee this. If this wrap removed paint then the vehicle was repainted in that area.
Think about it if the adhesive can pull paint off then the prep for the paint wasn't done properly. I wrap new cars almost every day and the only time it pulls paint is if there was previous damage to that area. I have been doing this for over 30 years and yes I have seen lots of paint pulled off of limo wraps - because they have the best paint right :bs but never off of a factory painted vehicle.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
(My own view is the wrap would WELD ITSELF to the paint in all that desert heat. ESPECIALLY a black wrap! 'No color absorbs heat better! :ack)

It's actually the reverse. Heat softens the adhesive allowing it to be removed. on a sunny day you can easily pull the wrap off of any car - especially a black one.
Luckily our youth of today don't know this or there would be alot of 1/2 wrapped promo cars running around.:biggrin

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I'm thinking of wrapping my Heritage also as the Gulf colors catches too much attention and I do want to drive the car. I'm thinking of flat black or dull silver. I'd do that if I knew for sure the wrap can last 3 to 4 years.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
That wrap would look very slick on your GT. :cool

I saw a matte black vinyl wrapped Rolls Royce Phantom at Mandalay Bay last weekend. That wrap definitely looks better on sports cars than on a Rolls.

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
'BLACK 'WRAP??? AND YOU THINK YOU HAVE HEATING PBLMS WITH YOUR GT NOW?????!!! YEEEEE GADS!!!:eek:eek:eek :willy

Where you live, the WHITE paint on your GT is the best of all possible colors. IMHO you really ought to leave it that way regardless of whether wrapping it will or will not cause damage to the paint. :wink:thumbsup:cheers

Yeah, I totally agree with what you are saying. I guess I have just been thinking about it for a few reasons, one is that I was hoping it would not damage the original paint and instead, while it was wrapped, I was thinking it may help to protect the original paint.

Another reason is because once in a while I see matte black wrapped cars and they look so damn good. The other day I saw a Mercedes SLR Mclaren parked near my house and it looked really nice.

I guess also it is probably because of the old "you want what you don't have". I always loved the white before and it was my favorite but now I feel like a change.

Finally, I honestly don't drive the car very often during the day. During the week I'm busy at work all day and my office is in the Jebel Ali Free Trade zone so I don't want to risk it with all those idiot truckers and such driving around. The other reason is because traffic is just a lot worse during the day so I can have more fun once the sun goes down. Finally there is the issue of the heat and my baby gets so bloody hot hear even at night so you can imagine how hot she gets when the sun is up.

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
That wrap would look very slick on your GT. :cool

I saw a matte black vinyl wrapped Rolls Royce Phantom at Mandalay Bay last weekend. That wrap definitely looks better on sports cars than on a Rolls.

I think so too, I always wanted a matte black car even before I owned the GT. You see them once in a while here and they look damn nice.

Hell, I even saw a Toyota Yaris in matte black wrap the other day and that even looked kind of cool in a weird way, haha.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I think a matte black GT would look outstanding but I have to side with my OCD twin - EP. It seems rather risky, and you don't know the outcome until you try to remove it. The hot sun, despite the fact that it theoretically softens the glue, also likely alters the chemistry of it and the wrap as well. And that 3M and others guarantees it doesn't mean it can ever be put back to 'as new' if something goes wrong.
A heritage is a beautiful car that no doubt gathers a big crowd. But I assure you that my run-of-the-mill white/blue stripe car is hardly stealthy. Beside, you don't want anyone pointing to your car and shouting Reventon, do you?? :)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That sounds cool. DO IT.

Send pix.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I'm thinking of wrapping my Heritage also as the Gulf colors catches too much attention and I do want to drive the car. I'm thinking of flat black or dull silver. I'd do that if I knew for sure the wrap can last 3 to 4 years.

Bruce, are you serious?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Beside, you don't want anyone pointing to your car and shouting Reventon, do you?? :)

With apologies to anyone here who may own one, I r-e-a-l-l-y dislike that matte finish on the Rev. 'Stood there for quite a while looking at the one in the dealership at the Venetian, and couldn't get it to "grow" on me one little bit. 'Couldn't get past the fact it looked like someone had primered the car and then ran out of money.:biggrin

IMO the finish on pretty much ANY exotic/supercar should be S-H-I-N-E-Y. But, to each his own. :thumbsup

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Bruce, are you serious?

Yes but my ideal wrap would be easily removalbe and reapplied, like vinyl cling racing numbers that race teams use over non steel panels. This way I can have the car back to its original Heritage paint in thrity minutes and then spray water and apply the vinyl cling which is in fact like the round Gulf stickers.

H

HHGT

With apologies to anyone here who may own one, I r-e-a-l-l-y dislike that matte finish on the Rev. 'Stood there for quite a while looking at the one in the dealership at the Venetian, and couldn't get it to "grow" on me one little bit. 'Couldn't get past the fact it looked like someone had primered the car and then ran out of money.:biggrin

IMO the finish on pretty much ANY exotic/supercar should be S-H-I-N-E-Y. But, to each his own. :thumbsup

I also agree with Pockets. The matte finish is not for me.