will this motor fit into a cobra?

gtaustin

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2007
ok so i asked for suggestions and so far the consensus is coffee table. While that is tempting, I'm leaning towards trying to shoehorn this thing into a kirkham cobra...

just got delivered the other day and i'd thought i'd post a pic to try and generate some discussion on how hard it would be to put this into something other than a gt....

530890774_5424fe1243.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bscreative/530890774/in/set-72157600312510716/

cheers :banana
patrick

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
That sure is a beautiful motor:thumbsup :thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
That it is...... Don't think it will fit in a Kirkham though...

Good luck!

As far as a coffee table, how many beers can you stack on it?

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Break out the vaseline and crow bars.... otherwise, put the motor mounts on the block 1st and not the frame and while lowering that beauty in, when the mounts touch the frame...... WELD the sucker!!!:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have seen modular motors in Factory Fives but it requires major surgery.
I have seen SOHC in ERA's and CSX cars but again, major mods are needed, including custom fabrication.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Overpowering a Cobra is very easy. Managing the power is very difficult. I have one with an aluminum 468 making about the same power as a GT and it's a handful.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
The only other car set up for something like this is the Shelby GT500 Mustang, but saw a 32 Ford roadster kit car with a similar mod motor at Hot August Nights Reno last year

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
just got delivered the other day and i'd thought i'd post a pic to try and generate some discussion on how hard it would be to put this into something other than a gt....

cheers :banana
patrick

There's always the Hummer. 'Oughta be enough room in wunna those "no prob."

'KIDDING, Patric!

'32 Hi Boy would be cool. ('Be kinda like killin' a house fly with an atom bomb, but whut th' hey.)

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Kirkham is very responsive with questions and have built a custom car with a GT motor in it called the Ford 40GT. It has a copper body. I asked them for some help last year about my GT motor project and they got right back to me.

There also is some talk about a wiring harness to adapt a GT motor being available shortly. Kirkham got a GT wiring harness from Pauls High Performance and cut off the connectors for their project.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
The Kirkham brothers are very experienced with the GT engine -- they built a spectacular copper 40 Ford called the "40 GT" with the GT engine mounted behind the cockpit. (I've got a Kirkham 427 and hang out at the shop quite often when we are at our place there in Utah).

You might give them a call and ask.

Having said that, I'll bet it won't fit.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
OOPS! We both posted at the same time -- at least we both gave you the same advice:wink

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I have seen modular motors in Factory Fives but it requires major surgery.
I have seen SOHC in ERA's and CSX cars but again, major mods are needed, including custom fabrication.

The Factory five Mark III was built to accept a mod motor. Probably a 4.6. They usually respond if you ask if a 5.4 will fit. I have seen creative hood scoops that could hide the blower.

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Table!?

I'd put that thing my Lightning!

I've seen L motors put into Mustangs, and V8's into Miata's, so i'm sure there's some way to do it.