Why won't Ford sponsor one of the FGT teams???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Just curious. Back in the 60s Ford sponsored a number of the Ford GT teams including Shelby. So why isn't Ford behind at least to some degree any of the current FGT efforts. Wasn't the FGT the "Pace car for an entire company"??? Wasn't it the halo car for Ford and the car of the millennium for them???? So why not some effort to help make it a winner in GT1 and especially at LeMans.

A win in GT1 and especially at LeMans would bring a tremendous amount of prestige to Ford and prove they can build a world champion just like back in 1966.

A number of manufacturers are involved in the LeMans efforts on behalf of their cars. Audi, Peugeot etc...Although I don't know if Chevrolet is behind any of the Corvette efforts.

Point is the FGT proved it has the "right stuff". Won a series of GT3 FIA titles, its in the hunt for the point lead this year in GT1 with two wins in the series, it finished in the first 3 spots at the Spa 24 hours this year, it lead LeMans for 8 hours before being damaged. It seems like with just a little nudge and helping hand from the factory the FGT could well dominate like it did in the 60s.

I don't get it???? Where's Ford or am I mistaken???

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Just curious. Back in the 60s Ford sponsored a number of the Ford GT teams including Shelby. So why isn't Ford behind at least to some degree any of the current FGT efforts. Wasn't the FGT the "Pace car for an entire company"??? Wasn't it the halo car for Ford and the car of the millennium for them???? So why not some effort to help make it a winner in GT1 and especially at LeMans.

A win in GT1 and especially at LeMans would bring a tremendous amount of prestige to Ford and prove they can build a world champion just like back in 1966.

A number of manufacturers are involved in the LeMans efforts on behalf of their cars. Audi, Peugeot etc...Although I don't know if Chevrolet is behind any of the Corvette efforts.

Point is the FGT proved it has the "right stuff". Won a series of GT3 FIA titles, its in the hunt for the point lead this year in GT1 with two wins in the series, it finished in the first 3 spots at the Spa 24 hours this year, it lead LeMans for 8 hours before being damaged. It seems like with just a little nudge and helping hand from the factory the FGT could well dominate like it did in the 60s.

I don't get it???? Where's Ford or am I mistaken???

My 2 cents is with the "recovery" we are in it is all about risk vs return. Apparently they aren't willing to invest in the "risk" to see if there will be a "return". It's all about the bottom line right now.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would also guess the GT is "old news" to those who make decisions at the Blue Oval. Out of production for nearly 5 years.

I think they are focusing on truck sales and looming new CAFE standards. :bored

:usa

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
I dont think they want to race a car they cant sell...

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Also GT1 is not the big class....

Yes a class victory is prestigeous but the FGT was 47 laps behind when it was hit by the other car....

So to have commercial return you either play in LMP1 vs Audi and Peugeout or you leave it to privateers....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Out of production for nearly 5 years.

I dont think they want to race a car they cant sell...

Those are likely two of the larger factors. No question.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Yes but Ford posted great profits as I recall this past year and was the only one of the big 3 not to take Obama bucks. Don't blame them on that.

However, the original Ford GT was not made in tremendous quantity (only around 1000 built) and was not a car for the general public either but Ford used the Ford GT to promote sales of its other cars, i.e. the Mustang. A winning "halo" car and "pace car for an entire company" would prove the quality and competitiveness of Ford cars. What was that old saying????... "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday". I believe this still hold true today. Performance is still an important criteria for consumers. Everyone loves a winner.

While the FGT may have been 47 laps down when it was hit at LeMans this year, it did hold the lead in GT1 for 8 hours this year. Thats impressive. It won Spa 24 hours and is vying for top spot in the FIA GT1 this year. Thats impressive. It won several GT3 titles in the FIA. Thats impressive. All in privateer hands no less. Just imagine if these cars had some Factory backing and assistance.

Does Chevy sponsor to any degree any of the Corvette teams??? If so Ford should also back their product at least to some degree.

Eventhough the FGT is no longer produced it was their "halo", "car of the millenium", "a pace car for an entire company"...Their words not mine

Ford can also limit their sponsorship as they wish i.e. lots of money or just a little money. But not to sponsor at all???? Thats not right :bs IMHO especially if Corvette is being sponsored to some degree by Chebby.

An article that was written when the FGT first came out noted, and it appears to be true that Chevy is building a legacy at LeMans, Ford is just reveling in the past. The FGT was built to carry on the "heritage" of its forefather. I believe Ford needs to stand behind the racing efforts of the FGT and help the FGT regain its glory. If not, then what was the real point of bringing the FGT back???? The only way the new FGT will gain the prestige of the original have its metal tested and win in GT1 and at LeMans IMHO. The car clearly proved it has not only the ability to win but to dominate. Whats Ford afraid of? Man do I wish Henry the 2nd was here.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Win on Sunday, buy on Monday does not work here (Shelby might do well) It is all the Big 3 can do to support NASCAR and that is way down in most instances.

Dodge supported Viper racing in Europe for awhile and it did a lot for their image and for Viper but they don't do much now and the Viper plant closes in August.

I would think with everything else that is going on in Dearborn they would have a tough time telling Jack Roush not to mention their Board why they are funding GTs.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Yes - you're all correct in assessing that winning GT1, Le Mans, etc. does not sell Mustangs in the US - and that seems to be Ford's main goal.

However. Europe is a different story - and many Ford vehicles are designed, produced and sold in Europe. Look at what designs they are importing, and you find that it's the European cars that look hot to new US Buyers.

Plus, the Europeans watch International Racing!! They are aware of the GT1, GT2 & GT3 winners. And, sales in Europe are dependant upon "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" concept through Friday. Lastly, they loved the GT40 (because "the Deuce" was willing to try to beat Ferrari, and he did), and they love the GT as the comeback child. Win in Europe, and people remember.

If you want to increase European sales, and, if you can convince he US media that Road Racing is more challenging than ovals, then support of the Ford GT Racing Program is essential.

If Ford had slightly supported Matech's racing effort, another new engine would have been available after practice, and likely would have given Matech the GT1 victory. Didn't happen. :frown

It seems that Ford (Corporation) is more concerned with US sales then those in Europe - which would imply that winning road racing events doesn't appear on the progam, yet influences the design of our future cars. Guess I'll get off my soap box....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The fact of the matter is the Ford GT is old news. They don't build it, they don't sell it. Therefore, the company is not interested in funding a race program for it. That's the long and the short of it.

In the interests of not offending our friends on either side of the debate, I ask that we let this thread die...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Original 1960s FGT production #s.

However, the original Ford GT was not made in tremendous quantity (only around 1000 built) and was not a car for the general public either but Ford used the Ford GT to promote sales of its other cars, i.e. the Mustang.

Total production of all original 1960's Ford GTs including Mark I, Mark II, Mark III, and Mark IV was only 130 cars. The exact # is hard to pin down because a few were chassis only.

This thread is closed.

Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.