Why does the Mustang have such high fatalities?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
According to the latest data by the IIHS, the mustang (150 rating) is almost in the Top 10 in terms of least safe cars.....almost double the national average rating of 79.

http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4204.pdf

granted, its used by many young drivers, but are there other design issues that make it so unsafe (unibody, weight, etc)? The data is adjusted for demographics, but is still startling.

Given the Shelby has essentially the same structure with higher power (but, better brakes), it makes me wonder.

ps, The NHTSA gives it 5 Stars* for Frontal & side impact (according to Mustang brochure)....so somehting is fishy here.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
High volume, cheap performance.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Considering that a huge number of Mustang owners from coast to coast are involved involved in street racing, I wouldn't be suprised at all! You consider the end use of a car and I don't think the folks compiling the numbers you saw did their homework. Not many Volvos involved in Street racing and I'm sure it has a very safe rating - so does a safety rating like this really mean anything?

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Considering that a huge number of Mustang owners from coast to coast are involved involved in street racing, I wouldn't be suprised at all! You consider the end use of a car and I don't think the folks compiling the numbers you saw did their homework. Not many Volvos involved in Street racing and I'm sure it has a very safe rating - so does a safety rating like this really mean anything?

+1:thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Interesting report.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I doubt it has much to do with street racing. 40,000+ people a year die on the roads here every here, and the majority involving drinking or distracted drivers. The Mustang has enough power to get a driver in trouble, and with the cheap price, most people have access to them. Speed, inattention, inexperience, the urge to use the go-pedal too much...

Street racing is dangerous, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what kills the majority of people on the roads.

Mad Max

Apr 7, 2006
SE Michigan
Street racing is dangerous, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what kills the majority of people on the roads.[/QUOTE]

Cellphones, PDAs, I-pods, in dash video, talking to friends, a complete lack of meaningful Drivers Ed......?

rrobello

Dec 21, 2006
I doubt it has much to do with street racing. 40,000+ people a year die on the roads here every here, and the majority involving drinking or distracted drivers. The Mustang has enough power to get a driver in trouble, and with the cheap price, most people have access to them. Speed, inattention, inexperience, the urge to use the go-pedal too much...

Street racing is dangerous, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what kills the majority of people on the roads.

+1 I think that is most likely hitting the nail right on the head, it is an inexpensive car that does have a good deal of power and majority of the owners (of one of the top selling cars btw, so there are more on the road than others) aren't car enthusiasts nor have a good deal of driving skills and this can get them into a lot of trouble. I was wondering this not too long ago as I started to notice that I was seeing a lot of accidents involving mustangs; they were the older stangs not the new S197s (and thats a whole different story because those are real easy to get the back ends to kick out on you and lose control real fast) but I also noticed that most of the drivers of these cars were young girls/women. Not saying that women are bad drivers but most highschool/college girls Ive seen driving are paying attention to just about everything other than driving...lol. that all said they are pretty safe once in an accident, I just think being that so many are sold that the odds of crashing are obviously going to go up and the fact that majority of owners tend to also be less experienced drivers then say someone who can afford a Porsche or Mercedes or Vette.

also is this report for all mustangs or does it clarify the V6 or GT (sorry didnt open it) V6 doesnt perform as well and could also be a cause, but the V6 also brings a whole world of younger drivers into the mix and a much larger number of drivers as well.

as for the GT500 brought up, there are many differences besides the motor between it and the GT, including the suspension. Even the axle itself has been upgraded on the GT500.

PNicholson

ps, The NHTSA gives it 5 Stars* for Frontal & side impact (according to Mustang brochure)....so somehting is fishy here.

Not only accordiong to a Mustang brochure - but according to the NHTSA

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3490.html

Page

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Mustang fatality analytics

I concur with the top-level perspective - fast/cheap = danger. i.e. a hot car in the hands of more people who are ill-equipped to handle it can cause more deaths.
But that doesn't bear on fatalities by brand, it just speaks to the likelihood of an accident, or perhaps a serious accident.
The detail that needs to be examined, and this is just an example of the analysis, would be how many deaths occur in wrecks that involved a totalled car. This would, in part, factor out the 17 year old bad drivers, the secretaries on cell phones, etc.
The question is, when a 'bad thing' happens, is the Mustang more likely to generate a fatality - for a constant level of bad things.
To be fair, this would not take in to account the likelihood that the Mustang is the most basic high-horsepower car out there. Handling sophistication exceeded by almost everything (sorry, just the facts). Even the GTO (a loser of a car), Corvette, and on up are more likely to allow an equivalently skilled driver to recover from an 'edge condition'.
So, it's certainly a multi-variate problem. But for me, I'd trust my driving skills but would be curious about the post-crash fatality rate.
Sorry, just a geek here.
FWIW, my wife is a B-School PhD. She always warns me, in the context of business analytics, that there is a vast difference between correlation and causation. Fun conversation at the dinner table. :)
Rich

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Consider not only on the vehicle, but the target demographic of the vehicle, as well as performance perceptions of the vehicle.

Ask yourself, is your stereotypical Mustang buyer going to share the same risk adverse behavior as a stereotypical Toyota Camry buyer?

If you asked Mustang and Camry buyers to rank the importance of performance, style, handling as opposed to say gas mileage, operating costs, reliability, would the results differ? Additionally, is it possible there could be an over expectation of the capabilities of a vehicle. A particular person's perception of the Mustang as a performance sports car, could lead to more risk taking. All just my personal, non-professional thoughts for discussion, not scientifically proven.

I agree with t32b (and his wife), there are many variables to consider, and that correlations by themselves rarely tell the full story, but do make for interesting dialogue. I am glad that Kayvan raises such questions. Or it can be constructed relatively safe, but used in an unsafe manner more frequently than the average car. There are so many different factors at play, but if the statistics are accurate, and consistent, then perhaps there is a correlation due to some determinable cause.

And collisions are often the result of multiple contributing factors, occurring close in time.

I previously worked professionally in an nationally recognized not-for-profit organization that was designed to reduce incidents and injuries, by providing the operators of a specific class of motor vehicles with mental and physical strategies to analyze, recognize and instinctively respond or avoid potentially dangerous situations. We were focused on both active and passive safety measures taken by the operator. Not all contributing factors are always truly known in an accident or incident. Do you think all drivers readily disclose "I am so sorry officer, I was stupidly looking for a CD in my glovebox and didn't see the bicycle when I swerved due to my lack of proper attention."

In response to your question about how can the car receive 5 stars for crash ratings, but still be considered unsafe, I am not intimately familiar with the current NHTSA and IIHS studies, so I may be off base here, but consider this:

A car can be rated to relatively safe in an impact (passive safety) but poor in incident avoidance (active safety). Other unknown factors may be leading to an over-representation of a particular vehicle.

Additionally, I see a 4 star, not 5 star rating for the 2006 Ford Mustang for front side impact, on the NHTSA website:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3490.html

Last edited: