Why Chrysler is in DEEP DEEP TROUBLE...NO POLITICS......

H

HHGT

After I saw this I wanted to puke. This video epitomizes our state of affairs at so many levels... Drugs, Alcoholism, Union Corruption, Integrity, Quality, Entitlement Atitude and then some.... What values are these guys breeding into their own kids.

About the only modern Chrysler product I care about is the Viper and its future is even uncertain. Perhaps they will build it in Italy....

**************NO POLITICS*************

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWi6IlmSO_o&feature=topvideos

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Always a few bad apples in every barrel. I am sure that other industries have some workers with similar habits during their lunch break. I have witnessed this to a smaller scale at a large garment company based in SF. Who willl be the 1st to find some school teachers doing the same? How about staking out the Apple parking lot?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Note to self: If I must buy a Chrysler, buy one built in the am......

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
A basic lack of respect for anyone or anything...an all to common trait in todays society.

You take the mans money, you do a mans job.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ya, I saw this on the news lastnite. But in THAT report, no mention was made of the fact this had gone on day after day.

Heads really need to roll on this one. These guys are working around automated machinery, for Pete's sake.

Buuuuut, I guess the "upside" is, if you discover someone forgot to put in the heater in your new Chrysler - you now know WHY.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I doubt the drinking on the job culture is endemic - whilst it's good to show a few guys up, it would be wrong to assume the entire factory is full of alcoholic drug fiends. I would imagine most large factories have a few folk who like a beer at lunch time, it doesn't make it right, but it's hardly a serious news piece.

(I'm in a very even-handed mood today!). :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(I'm in a very even-handed mood today!). :)

Neil, you've always been "even-handed" around here, as well as a voice of reason, sir!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Does anyone remember the word "responsibility"? I think we should have required school courses.......RESPONSIBILTY I, II AND III. Seriously. And don't get me started on the word "entitled". Off my soap box.....but still pissed.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Does anyone remember the word "responsibility"? I think we should have required school courses.......RESPONSIBILTY I, II AND III. Seriously. And don't get me started on the word "entitled". Off my soap box.....but still pissed.

How about "Gimee, Gimee, Gimee."

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Always a few bad apples in every barrel. I am sure that other industries have some workers with similar habits during their lunch break. I have witnessed this to a smaller scale at a large garment company based in SF. Who willl be the 1st to find some school teachers doing the same? How about staking out the Apple parking lot?

Gentlemen,

While it would be possible to find such behavior in any industry, there are reasons why it is far more prevalent at union shops like Chrysler, or among government workers, than it would be at non-union Apple. The Union and government employee mentality that workers are bulletproof and protected from dismissal for almost any reason takes most of the risk out of idiotic and irresponsible workplace antics. The dope smoking, beer swilling lowlifes in that video will be instructed by their union stewards to immediately sign up for a substance abuse program which will prevent their firing and insure that they receive their full pay while in the program. That substance abuse program will also be paid for by Chrysler. The primary purpose of a union is to do away with the concepts of personal responsibility and individual effort/reward. When seniority is everything an individual excellence is nothing, the inevitable result for a large percentage of workers and the companies hobbled by them is laid bare in that video.

Chip

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Chip, improper lunchtime behavior is probably better predicated base on job description rather than if one is in a union. Of course most of those jobs may be unionized, others not. I have heard that drug use is high among Wall Street traders and they are not in a union. Also here in CA people get "medicinal" use permits and "legally" light up. I wonder what the BMW workers do on lunch break. They are also in a union.

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
As a "government worker", I can assure you that in my workplace that behavior would not be tolerated. I’ve worked in factories (Caterpillar and Firestone) and for the gov’t (DoD and NASA) as a contractor and civil servant. Experienced good and bad in both, IMO it all boils down to personal self control and work ethic no matter the labor situation.

It is interesting though, when I worked with Alenia in Italy they had wine and beer dispensers in their cafeteria. Actually, one of the Itialian guys that we were working with at Kennedy Space Center doing acceptance testing of one of the Italian built Space Station Nodes pulled out a beer for lunch in the control room:eek. Everybody freaked out and the offending substance was immediately removed from the building. We laughed about it afterwards and I find it interesting the culture difference. It is considered poor form in Italy to become intoxicated whereas we celebrate it. No judgment being made here as I am enjoying my keg beer whilst watching football.:banana

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Has anyone ever toured a German manufacturing plant? I have been through dozens. More beer machines than we have Coke and Pepsi. (Not sure how much pot they smoke) There are some restuarants not to mention private clubs that would go out of business without white collars downing drinks at lunch (I include my own profession--law) While I don't think it is a great idea, I can't get too excited about the Chrysler story.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yup. I know an astounding number of white collar professionals that stay up through the day with stuff alot stronger than coffee. It's snowing in Los Angeles 365 days a year...

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I don't have as much a problem with the drinking and smoking as I do "abilty" to do the job paid for. IF, and only if, it does not impair your ability then so be it. But I'm going out on a limb here and say sometimes they are impaired due to these activities. This could place the owner/company in jeopardy from shoddy work. Not good. I never had a personal problem with who or what was going on was under Clinton's desk.....just his abilities.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Hey BLACKICE/DBK, Man you should have been around new york in the 80's it snowed.......every day down town....:biggrin great times, but as nardo can attest , you must do things responsilly, i meann respondably, hey man you get the vibes:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lo
Yep 5 Dead shows at the garden, friday nite tony bennett at radio city and then jagger and peter tosh at every 10 dollar dive.......hey mon, at least we were working in the old days you only got 4 months unemployment............leave all your trouble behind....you better walk and dont look back........
Now advils are the best ehh nardo......:eekgtjoey just slipping again, i mean tripping again, hey man you know what i mean......see you at v.i.r......:thumbsup

H

HHGT

Lets be honest, would any of you hire these guys to work for you? I think not! The fact that they are working because of my taxes, with a bull$hit organization protecting them is the shot through the heart. Besides, what morals are these idiots teaching their kids, the next welfare recipient.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I don't have as much a problem with the drinking and smoking as I do "abilty" to do the job paid for. IF, and only if, it does not impair your ability then so be it. But I'm going out on a limb here and say sometimes they are impaired due to these activities.

It is well known in Detroit that you look to purchase a car that was built on a Wednesday or Thursday. Monday and Tuesday the workers are still coming off of their hangovers. Wednesday and Thursday they have run out of money as they live paycheck to paycheck. And Friday they are flush again.

I saw this first-hand when I worked the line one summer putting bumpers on. At breaks and lunch there was a line outside the liquor store just outside the plant's gate. I compared stories with several buds that worked at various other plants and they all said the same thing. This has been going on for quite some time.

Significant time off for 'sickness' was an employed strategy.

Last edited:

Paul Vincent

Oct 20, 2005
Well, they may have been partying, but at least they weren't stealing!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Ah but Sam....you don't get it.:confused The more kids you have the bigger check you get:eek.......wait that is for people that DON"T work at all.:frown

Yeh, yeh...I know. You and I both are "GETTING" it.:willy:frown

Have thought about the "if you can't beat 'em...join 'em theory".....but I really don't like kids that much.:willy

Last edited: