Why are Lambo's so Darn expensive

thrashdu2002

Feb 26, 2007
Fortuna,Ca
First off I know a little bit about Lambo's but I don't understand the pricing. The art of the Lambo isn't a better creation in my opinion than the Ford GT. I have seen Ford GT's out run them, the sound is better on a GT, are you just paying for the name Lambo because if your going for Horses then you got the wrong car.

all in my own opinion, not to offend anyone in here with one.

FORD GT=:thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Cars manufactured in Europe do have seemingly unjustifiable prices when compared to those made in the USA.

Lamborghini's are arguably more costly to produce as the engines, when first built, were unique. The V12 unit in the Murcielago is not taken from another car in the range - the FGT takes it's engine from elsewhere in the Ford empire.

Interestingly when I bought my FGT it was about the same price (over here) as the Murcielago - but that's supply and demand!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Sad thing here is the largest Lambo dealer, Lambo of Orange County had their doors padlocked two days ago... tough times.

They are stunning machines and with Audi like quality control.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
well Audi owns them now so the quality should continue to become better "more german". It is sad that many dealerships are failing .... hopefully things will turn quickly or at least stabilize so rational business can resume once again.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"Sad thing here is the largest Lambo dealer, Lambo of Orange County had their doors padlocked two days ago... tough times."

Totally unrelated to Lambos, but here in NW Chicagoland, 2 dealers with long histories of supporting muscle/performance cars closed up, like overnight
with no warning. Lattof Chevrolet, always big in the Corvette and Chevy performance crowd, locked their doors last month after being in biz for nearly 70 years. The Lattof family accepted a GM buyout, and the General immediately closed the dealership. Barrington Champion Dodge, huge in the Viper and SRT crowd around here, closed suddenly last week, shelving earlier plans to expand. These are not small dealerships either. While they certainly weren't the mega stores, these were well established dealers with long histories in their communities.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
people that do not prepare for the storm, will always get wet and some will drown. Its very sad, but is true. So many people think they are crisis proof, but really NO ONE IS. I count my lucky stars everyday that we are still doing ok in this stuggling economy. I try to focus on cars that are difficult to get and in demand. The GT has proven well. There was a time I thought I wanted to be a new car franchise. I can tell you that thought has completely left my mind. The good thing about being independant is that I can change what I sell tomorrow. I can change WITH the economy and the general publics wants. I really feel for all the good dealers out there that have had to close their doors after all these years. I wish them and their families well in what ever they end up doing.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
No doubt difficult times for many. SEMA is very quiet, many exhibitors did not show, including Bridgestone who always imvited their top dealers for 3 days of wine and dine.

The Lambo store was padlocked by the Feds.

Interesting times to say the least.

H

HHGT

I went to the auction to buy a Boxter S for a friend of mine - way over rated in my opinion. But to stay on topic, 3 2004 Lambos ran yesterday while I was in the driveline and none of them could get a bid of $120K - Shocking to say the least

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I was looking at a Gallardo that I can still get for $110k with great mods.
Just decided the Lambo community is not for me.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Gallarado chassis/engines are built in Germany, with final assembly in Italy

Murcielago's are entirely built in Italy

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hitch your wagon at your own risk.

The good thing about being independant is that I can change what I sell tomorrow. I can change WITH the economy and the general publics wants.

Shelby,

I believe you just nailed the number one problem that all franchisees face. All of your talent and business acumen can be overwhelmed by the business failures of your supplier. When I graduated from college in 1978 and took over my father's Pontiac/GMC Truck dealership in Scottsdale, Arizona, Pontiac was selling over 900,000 cars a year in the United States and was a top recognized brand that outsold Toyota, Nissan (Datsun back then), and Honda combined. Oldsmobile was the third best-selling car in America moving 1.1 million units annually!! 10 years later Pontiac was selling fewer than 500,000 cars a year while continuing to increase their dealer count. By 1998 Pontiac continued to flounder with a string of poor product. The dealer count in the Phoenix area increased by 133% while national Pontiac sales dropped below 400,000. General Motors continued to sign disastrous labor agreements with the UAW and acted increasingly heavy-handed with their dealers who they blamed for much of their own failure. By the end of 1998 I had completely lost faith in Pontiac and General Motors and I sold out to AutoNation. It's the best financial move I've ever made in my life.

Today, Pontiac sells fewer than 200,000 cars per year, Oldsmobile doesn't even exist, and that dealership I sold to AutoNation just 10 years ago for $6 million was bankrupted, and shut down last month. It sits vacant today.

Franchising hitches one's wagon to someone else's star upon whom you must depend, in addition to your own efforts, for your success. A disastrous agreement when your supplier flounders.

Chip

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
SEMA is very quiet, many exhibitors did not show...

I had been wondering if that would in fact turn out to be the case. I just couldn't see the place "jumping" at all this year given the current econ mess.

'Sad...:frown

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Well said, Chip. Most observers of the auto industry have NO idea of the sales numbers you just referred to. They have long since forgotten the
50+% market share GM had in the glory days of the early '70s, when GM (and Ford too) could practically sell every car that rolled out of the factory, without incentives no less. If you would have predicted, even in the middle '80s that Oldsmobile would be the line that GM would eliminate, GM execs would've laughed you out of the board meetings.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
What's really scary is that the worst is yet to come. What will things be like in one year? Comparisons to the early 1990's crash of supercars? Also, I don't remember Ford & GM dealerships closing in the early 90's.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
i hope the supercar market crashes HARD....I'm buying!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Why would anyone be happy to advantage of other folks misfortunes??
I doubt that there is one USA member that has not been impacted by this economic crisis.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If there is any bright side to the trouble the domestic auto industry is facing, the closing of some dealerships will permit the surviving dealers to be more profitable. Toyota has done well with far fewer dealers than its domestic rivals. Nevertheless, the process is going to be painful. I am typically optimistic but 2009 is shaping up to be a tough year for everyone.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I doubt that there is one USA member that has not been impacted by this economic crisis.

Not just those in the USA, this crisis is worldwide. Just ask the folks in Iceland. I believe the approach likely to be taken will minimize the crisis while prolonging the recovery.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
a gallardo with twin turbos from heffner is the best bang for the buck in the exotic car world. it will run with a Veyron from 0-200 mph for less than a 1/4 of the cost of a Veyron.

note: while the Ford GT is a supercar since its made in America its not considered to be an exotic car here in America while in Italy it is considered an exotic.

but since we live in America here the Gallardo is the corvette of the exotic car world. in other words its the best bang for the buck.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Freddy nails it as usual. :)