Who the hell crashes into a lion?!?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
What a CATastrophic event... :facepalm: :wink
Really glad you are ok and it was not in your GT, new or old.
Feel bad for the kitty too but I am sure he will make for good stories in Chip's library.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
That’s how you do a cat delete.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Fred I'm awarding you post of the month. Classic.

Hitting that cat in a GT would have been bad. But I ride that route on a motorcycle a lot and hitting that lion on a bike at about 75 mph would be a nightmare. I've had 4 close calls with deer and elk here in AZ. If I'm going to do a cat delete, a full size truck is the tool for the job.

Chip

Reactions: extrap

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The Cat Delete line is classic!

Glad you are OK and that the truck can be repaired. But the bolt cutters in the truck? I have my construction tools but never carried bolt cutters before :)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The Cat Delete line is classic!

Glad you are OK and that the truck can be repaired. But the bolt cutters in the truck? I have my construction tools but never carried bolt cutters before :)

I operate gas stations for a living and the brass fittings on the end of my stainless braided air & water hoses break pretty often requiring the hose end to be cut off and new brass fittings pressed on. I use to hacksaw the hose ends off but that's a PITA so I started using a bolt cutter that clips those stainless reinforced hoses off in a couple seconds. Much easier!!! And so now bolt cutters are standard equipment in my tool bag.

Chip

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What happened to the door

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Go figure.....
Wonder what it was chasing?
Near CATastrophy...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Chip glad you are ok!
As others have said, the truck can be repaired. Not so much for us.....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Poor kitty. That particular F-150 might be jinxed. Get it fixed and trade it in on a 2018 with the refreshed grill and tail lights.

+1

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
What happened to the door.

Descending a really steep rutted out and very rocky dirt road on a hunting trip the right front tire slid off the road and the bottom of the right front door came straight down on a boulder denting it badly. With the FX4 package and the locking rear axle that truck is the most amazing off road vehicle since my Jeep Rubicon. It will climb anything.

Chip

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

Are you sure it is cat delete... in the second photo it looks like catback system!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Let's see, out late at night, bolt cutters handy - sounds more like a cat burglar. Glad you're ok.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
wow that's different ,only deer here in Jersey. better to hit one in the truck than get jumped buy one in the bush I guess.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Horrific story, could have ended totally differently. Glad no one ended seriously hurt or worse. Even more glad you weren't in a GT. A good reminder about physics, weight multiplied with speed equals serious energy.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
:rofl

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Sorry Chip.. speechless.... I guess you could say the cat's got my tongue .. happy you're ok.. Hitting something larger could have been a catastrophe. :biggrin

Last edited:

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Amazing story Chip. That built Ford tough F-150 did it's job. Glad you're ok. Also glad it didn't happen while doing 70mph ++ with a trailer carrying precious cargo!

Last edited:

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
As stated by many others, glad your OK. All though probably traumatic at the time, another good story for Chip's history book.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
What's next Chip, African lion [emoji881]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Chip, is it odd for there to be a lion in the area you were driving? Glad it was only the truck that was damaged.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Let's see, out late at night, bolt cutters handy - sounds more like a cat burglar. Glad you're ok.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Who carries bolt cutters in their truck at night? LOL

I had a similar strange collision back in May 2016. A 21 year old was speeding and tried to pass me on the shoulder of the road in the grass. Quickly found out it wasn't smooth in the grass, lost control and crashed into the side of my truck. Took out the entire side of my truck.