Who needs a Whipple.... 200mph at V-Max! :banana

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Last Saturday I partecipated to a private gathering at an airstrip (Brungtingthorpe) here in the UK.

The layout was pretty simple, with a long runaway (1.6 miles long) accessed by a service road through a large radius right turn.

Positioned 600 yards before the end of the runaway (braking zone) there was a beacon which would indicate the speed reached passing through the line....

After a couple of tries I am pleased to say we hit 200mph! :biggrin :banana

The car has a Ford pulley + tune....

Here is a little video (shot with a Nokia phone as we left the camera batteries in the wrong bag!)

There were some pretty exotic cars there...

The record was obtained by a ordinary looking Porsche 996 cabriolet, tuned by the German company ff..... to 1,000hp. He clipped 222mph.

Another car from those guys (9ff GT9R with 1,300hp) posted 230mph through the beam, but failed to stop in time and hit the bank at the end of the runaway.
Car destroyed, but occupants only had a couple of scratches...

Here you can find the list of the cars that partecipated and the speeds achieved.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...ageddon Attendees - Estimates & Actual Speeds

Here is another video of the event

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Last Saturday I partecipated to a private gathering at an airstrip (Brungtingthorpe) here in the UK.

The layout was pretty simple, with a long runaway (1.6 miles long) accessed by a service road through a large radius right turn.

Positioned 600 yards before the end of the runaway (braking zone) there was a beacon which would indicate the speed reached passing through the line....

Here is a little video (shot with a Nokia phone as we left the camera batteries in the wrong bag!)

The record was obtained by a ordinary looking Porsche 996 cabriolet, tuned by the German company ff..... to 1,000hp. He clipped 222mph.

Another car from those guys (9ff GT9R with 1,300hp) posted 230mph through the beam, but failed to stop in time and hit the bank at the end of the runaway.

Here you can find the list of the cars that partecipated and the speeds achieved.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...ageddon Attendees - Estimates & Actual Speeds

Here is another video of the event

Looks like fun . Welcome to the 200 MPH Club...we did the same thing last year in Miami.. running starts etc..

Did you use a GPS? The GT Speedos are off by 5 to 6 MPH at 200 MPH. Speedo reads 205 MPH actual speed 199 mph on a GPS. I also checked mine at 100 mph on the Speedo GPS was showing 97 MPH. It seems to be a consistent ratio but they are off a little.. Not as bad as a Lambo. they are off by 20 mph at those speeds.

Last edited:

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Speedo read 210mph when the beacon (same stuff you'd find at the drag strip) measured 200mph.....

So it looks like mine is a little more off than yours...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Looks like fun we did the same thing last year in Miami.. running starts etc..

Did you use a GPS? The GT Speedos are off by 5 to 6 MPH at 200 MPH. Speedo reads 205 MPH actual speed 199 mph on a GPS. I also checked mine at 100 mph on the Speedo GPS was showing 97 MPH. It seems to be a consistent ratio but they are off a little.. Not as bad as a Lambo. they are off by 20 mph at those speeds.

Brian you can tweak your tune and get the speedo on the button! :cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

Sounds like a great time. There's a runway event planned for here this summer. I'm really stoked. Congrats on your run. Awesome!!!!

Too bad about the GT9R. That's a really cool car. 9ff does some amazing stuff. I've got a few mods from them for my 911. :wink :thumbsup

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
That is true. At the Mojave Mile, in 2 of the runs the speedo's needle was definitely passed 185mph, but my official times were 176.8 and 178.8mph....

GTED

Speedo read 210mph when the beacon (same stuff you'd find at the drag strip) measured 200mph.....

So it looks like mine is a little more off than yours...

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
That is true. At the Mojave Mile, in 2 of the runs the speedo's needle was definitely passed 185mph, but my official times were 176.8 and 178.8mph....

GTED

Noticed that as well. Runway events seem to be spreading like wildfire. :thumbsup

Congrats on your 200mph run!! :cheers

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian you can tweak your tune and get the speedo on the button! :cheers

Thanks for the tip.. when I get done with all the wheel and tire mods I'll need to check it out ..:biggrin

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
when i gps'd 212 mph my speedo was reading 217 mph. that is ~ 2% error. i have the stock gears and tires.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI