Who has the best oil separator for use with a Whipple 4.0

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
Hey guys, I have read many threads on the oil separators but am still having trouble deciding what to go with. I am running the Whipple 4.0, 25 lbs of boost, 925 rwhp and have oil going into the intake. It looks like to me the car needs one on each side. I am looking for the path of least resistance and I am sure some one sells a kit directly for are cars. Thanks for any help. Rich at The Mustang Ranch.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Good question, and sorry that I don't have any help to offer with it, but I am curious- are you running all stock internals? I do have a JLT oil separator on my Whipple 3.4 on my GT500 (20-21 lbs boost), but it seems like I have heard there are better options now.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
An inexpensive and easily installed option is the Moroso separator sold through many suppliers, including Jegs. There are a number of P/N's available that use specific bracketry to fit specific cars, but none for the GT. I bought the Universal Mount and made my own bracket (straight aluminum piece with three holes: very easy) using a threaded hole already available in the chassis. I cannot comment on this assembly's performance compared to larger, more expensive options. I collect less than 1/2 cup of oil per year (4000 miles). My gut tells me these are not really needed, but they surely do no harm.

Howard

Attachments

• Moroso Catch Can (1).jpg
    Moroso Catch Can (1).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Moroso Oil Catch Can (2).jpg
    Moroso Oil Catch Can (2).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 199

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Rich at The Mustang Ranch.

Hey - that's not in Colorado, it's about 17 miles east of Reno, NV, off I-80.

View attachment 38391

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_Ranch

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I cannot comment on this assembly's performance compared to larger, more expensive options. I collect less than 1/2 cup of oil per year (4000 miles). My gut tells me these are not really needed, but they surely do no harm.

Howard

You've nailed it. There has been many a heated discussion on the benefit of these in other forums. Rarely are they needed. The cases would be when the car is subject to long term high RPM WOT conditions. Not for street driving. Even a 1/2 cup measured over the hours of operation results in only a few drops of oil entering the air intake system at a time. It's not like it's running in there (if it is doing more than that you have aBIG problem and should FIX IT instead of collecting it in a cup). Statements that "you're losing 10s of horsepower without this" are unfounded.

By the way, your observation is consistent with my Shelby GT/SC mustang. The Kenne Bell kit that SAI installed came with the oil separator. In nearly 8000 miles of normal driving and a few offical drag runs, and some "spirited" driving (but no serious track time) I think I had collected maybe 3-4 ounces. (It was clear jar type.)

When I pulled my supercharger on the GT to get the bearings repaired I also saw a little oil around the gasket, but none on the intercooler. That was at about 1500 miles.

Second, you only need it on one side (assuming you need it at all). The side where the PCV valve goes TO the supercharger intake (I think that is drivers side on our cars). If you have oil on that side you've got a bigger problem.

Both of these were explained in the forum, but I can't think of the search that might bring it up.

Maybe the oil collectors with clear jars provide information that is not available other ways, but you're generally right in that they don't do harm. They're kind of like copper bracelets.

Last edited: