Whippled GT...what sparkplugs?

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
On a generation 1 whipple, what sparkplugs is everyone using and at what gap? I have done a lot of searching through old threads and see that most everyone, including the pullied guys, are using the NGK TR6 plugs, but gaps are all over the place. Some like Shadowman suggest NGK TR7 IX iridiums at .028-.030 gap but see some are doing smaller gaps even like .022-.025 Can someone enlighten me on why these gaps are so different. My setup will be FRPP cat-deletes, IDA catback, stock manifolds, TB, inlet stiffener, MAFia, tuned for 93 octane. Thank you.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
On a generation 1 whipple, what sparkplugs is everyone using and at what gap? I have done a lot of searching through old threads and see that most everyone, including the pullied guys, are using the NGK TR6 plugs, but gaps are all over the place. Some like Shadowman suggest NGK TR7 IX iridiums at .028-.030 gap but see some are doing smaller gaps even like .022-.025 Can someone enlighten me on why these gaps are so different. My setup will be FRPP cat-deletes, IDA catback, stock manifolds, TB, inlet stiffener, MAFia, tuned for 93 octane. Thank you.

TR7IX should be used on all of the pulley changes and SC changes. Don't know about the turbos. Gap should get smaller as cylinder pressure increases. Ignition has trouble firing high cylinder pressure cylinders with large gaps. I run .022" for anything over 17psi.

Thanks,
Dustin

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
That is exactly what we run in the Turbo GT's as well.