Whipple Vs. Twin Turbo question

dandaman

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Tyler, Tx
I have a discussion question. If you had Ford GT engine that had a Whipple Supercharger on it that put out 19 lbs. of boost and an GT Engine that had a twin turbo chargers that put out 19 lbs. of boost, what engine would make the most Horse power? Would they be equal? I know it takes HP to turn the Supercharger but twin turbo chargers creates back pressure on the engine to spin them up.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have a Whipple at 19 psi, but have never driven a TT GT. From others post on this forum I believe that the TT setup will have much more power at higher RPM ranges >4500 than a Whipple. I got 730 RWHP at 6800 and I think a TT would be in the range of 850 to 950 with 91 octane.

dandaman

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Tyler, Tx
If that is true and the boost psi is the same, how is a twin turbo set up putting out more than 100 hp more? Does it take that much HP to run the Whipple?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Yes

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My guess is that the Whipple at 19 psi takes between 75 to 85 HP. The TT gains more than that because it has lower air discharge temps at the same boost, better compressor efficiency. Athough it takes power in the form of increaed exhaust backpressure to run the TT, it is not as much as turning the blower and you get some energy back from the heat from the exhaust flow.

dandaman

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Tyler, Tx
I read an article that said "a stock Chrysler Hemi does not have enough HP alone to run a supercharger on a Top fuel Hemi engine producing 5,000+ HP" I thought that was interesting.

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
It takes a thousand hp to turn a top fuel blower and the turbos will make more power.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Cal Cuda, I heard you were getting tuned this week. How did it go?, she should be a screamer.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
While tuning, we noticed that there was an exhaust leak where the primary tubes go into the collector. I have ordered 2 new collectors from Reid Washbon that use double slip connectors to seal better. Maybe back to the tuner next week.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Too bad, but at least you are getting it well sorted. Looking forward to the results. I would also like to see the cage sometime.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Somebody has to do a dyno shoot out soon.

Maybe Heff or Henn or Torrie all on 93 oct.
  1. Tune & pulley/accufab
  2. Whipple
  3. TT
  4. SCTT
Dyno over lay and trace the lines with fat magic markers for us old farts.

Then a ball park cost comparison

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
If it was done, watch the tq curve. The superchargers make the tq down low and the the turbos, the hp at higher rpm.