Whipple supercharger question

Sdomfs

Sep 8, 2010
I have a 4.0 whipple supercharger and I was installing a new accufab throttle body and I noticed oil sitting in the supercharger behind where the throttle body bolts on I wanted to know if this is normal? Thank you.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Yes. Oil from the PCV system. Ford Modular motors are known for this, particularly from the passenger side cylinder head.

Sdomfs

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the answer. Yes the oil was coming in from the passenger side cylinder head. The oil won't get sucked into the supercharger and damage it?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Yes it will get sucked into the supercharger, but it will not damage it. Nevertheless, since you are using a big Whipple, I would install a catch can on the passenger side PCV line. I get about a 1/3 cup every couple thousand miles with the stock supercharger with a pulley. Evan Guyett made a very nice catch can that looked OEM. I don't know if it's still available, but it's a first class piece. I have it. It has an OEM finish, uses OEM-type clamps and even has an OEM sight glass. If unavailable, you can use one of the many catch can kits available.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

Sdomfs

Sep 8, 2010
Yes it will get sucked into the supercharger, but it will not damage it. Nevertheless, since you are using a big Whipple, I would install a catch can on the passenger side PCV line. I get about a 1/3 cup every couple thousand miles with the stock supercharger with a pulley. Evan Guyett made a very nice catch can that looked OEM. I don't know if it's still available, but it's a first class piece. I have it. It has an OEM finish, uses OEM-type clamps and even has an OEM sight glass. If unavailable, you can use one of the many catch can kits available.

View attachment 44363
View attachment 44364

I have installed a catch can but when I checked the can there was no oil in it I but still have oil behind the accufab throttle body so I installed a catch can on the drivers side but still no oil in the catch can but oil behind the throttle body. What else do you think can be the source of the oil? Thanks.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have installed a catch can but when I checked the can there was no oil in it I but still have oil behind the accufab throttle body so I installed a catch can on the drivers side but still no oil in the catch can but oil behind the throttle body. What else do you think can be the source of the oil? Thanks.

As far I known, there cannot be another source of oil in the intake tract. Many of the oil catch cans I've seen are not good. Which ones do you have?

Sdomfs

Sep 8, 2010
As far I known, there cannot be another source of oil in the intake tract. Many of the oil catch cans I've seen are not good. Which ones do you have?

UPR 5032 billet catch can with a filter made for 5.8l mustang supercharged on the passenger side and a JLT with a filter on the drivers side. When I opened the can it was dry but oil in the intake. Let me make sure I installed it correctly, the filter is on the side going to the intake. There where no instructions it was a direct bolt on for a supercharged mustang. Thank you.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
have you checked your sc oil level recently? sometimes they bearing seal fails and allows for a slow leak of supercharger oil. How much oil do you see ?

Sdomfs

Sep 8, 2010
have you checked your sc oil level recently? sometimes they bearing seal fails and allows for a slow leak of supercharger oil. How much oil do you see ?

The supercharger oil level hasn't changed. The whipple supercharger
was installed this month. The oil is coating the bottom of the intake behind the
throttle body.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I don't care for those catch cans. In my opinion they are more bling than functional. I would install different ones.

Sdomfs

Sep 8, 2010
I don't care for those catch cans. In my opinion they are more bling than functional. I would install different ones.
ok, I will change them. I emailed the company you suggested but they are out of business. Do you have any one else you can recommend. Thanks.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I used a MOROSO universal catch can. I hope that's not the one you are unhappy with! Mine catches oil. Enough? Who knows? It does no harm.

Howard

Attachments

• FGT Separator Mounted 1.jpg
    FGT Separator Mounted 1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 214
  • FGT Separator Mounted 2.jpg
    FGT Separator Mounted 2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 220
  • FGT Separator.jpg
    FGT Separator.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 212

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I use the Moroso on my Lightning and is very effective at catching oil.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I use the Evan Guyett oil catcher. It works great and looks OEM. That's important in CA since by the letter of the law any mods to the PCV system must be carb approved and if it doesn't look OEM it may raise eyebrows during the smog test and inspection.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I used a MOROSO universal catch can. I hope that's not the one you are unhappy with! Mine catches oil. Enough? Who knows? It does no harm.

Howard

I've heard nothing bad about that one. Pull the PCV hose at the superchanger and stick your pinkie into the fitting to determine if any oil is getting through.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Evan Guyett is still selling the air/oil separator kits. In stock and ready for shipment. $495. Phone 559-349-3570, or email sales@guyettperformance.com.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Check out ours... one of the nicest solutions I believe.

Cheers

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

View attachment 44575

CHRIS_GT_V2-2.jpg

CHRIS_GT_V2-3.jpg

CHRIS_GT_V2-4.jpg

REVISED_V3.jpg