Whipple Gen 2

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Hey everybody, just wanted to show some results with the Gen 2 SC. Car has FRPP long tubes, FRPP muffler, Accufab TB, and 91 OCTANE. Also note, this is 3rd gear. 4th gear showed 25-30lbs more torque, same HP.

KitaharaGen2SC_2_small.jpg

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
773 in 3rd gear :eek on 91 Octane!

Wow!

Mase

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2006
Jacksonville, Florida
nice numbers for sure :thumbsup, but i'm surprised you run the mixture that lean.

What kind of intake temps are you guys seeing vs delta ambient air temps?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Dustin,

Very impressive numbers. However, I too am concerned about a/f's - they seem high. In particular, the area around 6000rpm, the engine is seeing just over 20lbs of boost with a/f's near 12.5:1. If this were my car, I'd rather have around 11.5:1 - and perhaps a few less ponies. Is a richer mixture possible with the tune or are we seeing the limits of fuel pumps and/or injectors?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Those are just jaw dropping results. :bow

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
What's actual physical difference in the Gen 1 and Gen 2 compressors?

mardyn

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My understanding is that the case is the same, but the internal rotors are new. They displace more air per revolution, thus give more boost at any given RPM. Maybe Dustin can chime it here and tell us the more about the specs. I would like to know how much more displacement, the abiatic efficiency vs. the old rotors and the cost to retro fit them into a Gen 1 case.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just out of curiosity, why show the lower 3rd gear results? Don't most shops show 4th gear?

Either way, impressive, especially for 91 octane and what seems to be a reasonable amount of boost. Any info on improvement of the IATs?

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Dustin,

Is that with the 3.375 pulley?

I'll have dyno results this weekend on mine...

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Just out of curiosity, why show the lower 3rd gear results? Don't most shops show 4th gear?

Either way, impressive, especially for 91 octane and what seems to be a reasonable amount of boost. Any info on improvement of the IATs?

the GT's 4th gear is not a 1:1 ratio. as a result of 4th gear being overdriven i would assume that this would show a higher # than what 1:1 would show and thus the reason Dustin decided to do his pull in 3rd gear. i am not sure which gear would be closer to a 1:1 reading? obviously 3rd gear is far from 1:1 but its not overdriven like 4th gear is in the GT, so maybe the results in 3rd gear are more accurate?

Dustin how much more HP and TQ do you think this setup could make with a 100 octane tune? i bet it would make 800 rwhp :thumbsup

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Now if you guys can just figure out how to make it run on Makers Mark.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
My understanding is that the case is the same, but the internal rotors are new. They displace more air per revolution, thus give more boost at any given RPM. Maybe Dustin can chime it here and tell us the more about the specs. I would like to know how much more displacement, the abiatic efficiency vs. the old rotors and the cost to retro fit them into a Gen 1 case.

The displacement is the same, the Volumetric Efficiency is increased. Typically VE was somewhere around 85-95% depending on boost and rpm. The Gen 2 picked up nearly 12% VE at rpms lower than 10,000 and 7% at high rpms. This gives you more air volume at the same rpm. Also, because it leaks less, temperature is decreased for the same volume of air. AE was increased 5-8%.

Dustin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now if you guys can just figure out how to make it run on Makers Mark.

Oh - Bony's wurkin' HARD on that...

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Hi Dustin,

Very impressive numbers. However, I too am concerned about a/f's - they seem high. In particular, the area around 6000rpm, the engine is seeing just over 20lbs of boost with a/f's near 12.5:1. If this were my car, I'd rather have around 11.5:1 - and perhaps a few less ponies. Is a richer mixture possible with the tune or are we seeing the limits of fuel pumps and/or injectors?

No, there was still room with injectors/pump. The red line is 12.5:1, so this got to a max of 12.25:1. This AF on top varies .25 depending on the ignition firing. Also, this has long tubes, so the AF is reading 1 cylinder, so you get slightly higher pulses than a constant flow in one collector. Also, with the Dyno Jet Wide band, it's commonly .25 AF leaner than our Horiba's, which are more accurate at the 13:1 and lower numbers.

Thanks,
Dustin

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005

Few reasons, first, when I first did my first GT, where we built the pulley and first tune, I started with 3rd gear pulls, and everyone after that. Therefore, all my data is with 3rd gear pulls. Data logs, graphs, info, etc. I've certainly run 4th gear runs. I've back to back them, at this level, it's 25lbs of torque more.

Dustin

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Dustin,

Is that with the 3.375 pulley?

I'll have dyno results this weekend on mine...

No, 3.25" pulley. Long tubes and high flow mufflers drops boost 1-2psi, especially at this flow level.

Thanks,
Dustin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When is Bony's GT going under the knife?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i wonder how many degrees of timing he is runnin on that 91 octane tune? i bet with 100 octane gas and more timing he could make 800 rwhp......

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Dustin, I'm convinced - sign me up. :thumbsup I'm airing my FGT to Kendall in May prior to the Le Mans trip. Please set aside a Gen 2 for me. I suppose we'll (at least Bony & I, maybe others?) land on the Continent with the first Gen 2s.

I can hardly wait! :banana:banana

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
When is Bony's GT going under the knife?

Very, very soon, and I'm pretty confident it will leave here with 800RWHP on 91 octane gas. Got 2 more tricks in my bag :banana

Dustin