Whipple car keeps shredding belts

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
The vendor who sold it asked me if it was for a Ford GT. Once confirmed he said he would include the shim. My thinking is if the shim makes for excessive spacing, then the belt would start to come apart on the other side (closest to the supercharger). The belt even though missing 2 ribs remains in correct location on the pulley. Thus telling me the alignment isn't
The belt is not from Whipple but is a 10 rib belt in the correct length. Once installed everything fits snug on every pulley the way it should. Only reason I have not bought the Whipple belt is because they cost $200 vs a $50 gator belt. Until this issue gets resolved and I stop breaking belts this is the more economical way to go. I wouldn't think the belt itself would make a difference but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know for sure what the difference is and why the Whipple belt would be required or if it would even make a difference? Belt is a belt to me.

Get the Whipple belt. I have a 3.4L gen 2. Running about 19.5 psi a mile high have never had a problem with belts for 6yrs....Gone through one Whipple though;)

cyclehead

Jun 27, 2013
tennessee
just a thought

I have had experience with the following on multiple groove sheaves/pulleys. Due to manufacturing differences the pulleys aligned perfectly face to face and the shafts were perfectly parellell yet still shrdeed belts like made. Turned out the individual grooves were not in line with each other. Found out by trying to align center groove pulley to pulley. Would not align completely. Bottom of groove was exactly same yet width at top was slightly different making belt want to walk up and down and side to side ever so slightly. Old 60's dragracer clued my in. Said back in the day insisted on match sets of pulleys from same manufacturer. Thrashed pulleys and started over and success. Alignment issues can sometimes be seen with a adjustable strobe light. FWIW to you

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I have had experience with the following on multiple groove sheaves/pulleys. Due to manufacturing differences the pulleys aligned perfectly face to face and the shafts were perfectly parellell yet still shrdeed belts like made. Turned out the individual grooves were not in line with each other. Found out by trying to align center groove pulley to pulley. Would not align completely. Bottom of groove was exactly same yet width at top was slightly different making belt want to walk up and down and side to side ever so slightly. Old 60's dragracer clued my in. Said back in the day insisted on match sets of pulleys from same manufacturer. Thrashed pulleys and started over and success. Alignment issues can sometimes be seen with a adjustable strobe light. FWIW to you

Good Point !! :thumbsup

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
Thank you all for the input and the suggestions. Really good stuff here. A new belt is on order so I'll post my results once completed!

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
One other point I will mention....gatorback belts and non slip style pullies do not get along. I've seen countless supercharged mustangs shred gatorback belts with a non slip, but a regular gates belt will last for years.

Most of the manufacturers that make non slip style pullies specifically state to not use gatorback belts.

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
One other point I will mention....gatorback belts and non slip style pullies do not get along. I've seen countless supercharged mustangs shred gatorback belts with a non slip, but a regular gates belt will last for years.

Most of the manufacturers that make non slip style pullies specifically state to not use gatorback belts.

Thanks for that. Good info.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
I have seen several of the high-grip, cross-cut style pulleys shred belts on Mustangs we have worked on in the past, it seems like they are somewhat tough on belts especially if there are any mis-alignment or tensioner issues. We have done a lot of research in the past and well documented the Whipple belt alignment issues; we have had excellent results in correcting the problems. But first, make sure there is nothing contacting the belt causing damage to your belt. As stated above, the Whipple belts are from Gates and start out as 12-rib belts that are cut at Whipple on a special fixture.

This might be of some help to you:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-Corrected&highlight=Whipple+pulley+alignment

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
We have done a lot of research in the past and well documented the Whipple belt alignment issues; we have had excellent results in correcting the problems.
:agree:

Evan sent me a spacer and the squeaky belt problem disappeared.

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
LATEST UPDATE:

Whipple belt was installed as many have recommended. Took the car for a short drive and noticed considerable wear on the smooth side of the belt.
My guess now is one of the idlers or one of the tensioners. Contacting Whipple to see what they might recommend. Any thoughts?

IMAG1078888888888888.JPG..IMAG1077.jpg

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Looks to me like you are getting interference somewhere along the path of the belt. Something is wearing a groove in the belt, from contact. Check the ENTIRE pathway of the belt for any close tolerances that might possibly interfere with the belt. See my first post on page 1. Or, a bur on a tensioner pulley, rubbing on the smooth side of the belt??

Last edited:

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Is that a Whipple pulley? Or a groved pulley for better grip? If it is a groved pulley , switch out with the Whipple one. My belt doesn't slip and no belt issues. Just my 1 cent.

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
Looks to me like you are getting interference somewhere along the path of the belt. Something is wearing a groove in the belt, from contact. Check the ENTIRE pathway of the belt for any close tolerances that might possibly interfere with the belt. See my first post on page 1. Or, a bur on a tensioner pulley, rubbing on the smooth side of the belt??
Yeah, I'm afraid it's something like that. Just a pain because it's so hard to see anything without removing the bulk head. Something I was hoping to avoid.

Is that a Whipple pulley? Or a groved pulley for better grip? If it is a groved pulley , switch out with the Whipple one. My belt doesn't slip and no belt issues. Just my 1 cent.
The first belt shredded with the Whipple pulley in the same fashion. Others have had issues with this pulley, but they shouldn't be occurring so soon.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You can use an inexpensive USB camera connected to a PC to check the belt path.