Whipple 1/4 mile preformance

Kurt Tompkins

Sep 30, 2006
Has anyone ran their whipple charged GT in the 1/4 mile?

where are you located

Kurt - Where are you located? We will have some very soon at the track!

Jack @ MMP Sales
Muscle Motors Performance, Inc.
jack@musclemotors.com

http://www.musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778
"Here to Make Racing Fun & Affordable for Everyone!"

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I clocked a 8.15 in mine...

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Awsum GT said:

8.15 in the 1/4 mile!?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Awsum GT said:

I have a few more hp, no heavy stripe so I would expect....
8.10 :bs :bs :banana :bs :bs

I would expect 145mph 1/4 mile time based on the hp, haven't figured out an et.

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing a GT with only a blower (and supporting mods) running a LOW 8 in the quarter mile!

Care to evaluate?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Hell, I have a bicycle that can turn much lower than eights!

Note the lack of any units on the numbers. My bicycle can do under 8 minutes without any problems!

I think Awsum and Bony and just kidding.

For a GT to do 8s the car would have more than 1500 hp and substantial mods to the suspension and tires and maybe a wheelie bar. It doesn't matter how much power it can put out. No traction, no go. Of course at that power output a lot of things will start to break!

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BlackStorm said:
I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing a GT with only a blower (and supporting mods) running a LOW 8 in the quarter mile!

Care to evaluate?

Ok, Storm, tell me you don't beleive in the Easter bunny and Santa Claus :biggrin

If Jerry's GT runs in the 8's, mine should be faster since I have a couple more
horses and no heavy strip...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BlackICE said:

Note the lack of any units on the numbers. My bicycle can do under 8 minutes without any problems!

For a GT to do 8s the car would have more than 1500 hp and substantial mods to the suspension and tires and maybe a wheelie bar. It doesn't matter how much power it can put out. No traction, no go. Of course at that power output a lot of things will start to break!

BlackICE

dats it... got to get a wheelie bar. :biggrin :banana :biggrin

I have no clue what the et should be, I have never been into drag racing, I would think the car should be in the 10's somewhere assuming a reasonable 60' time.

So far there are three running GT's with 3.3 Whipples, all owned by Fresno people and one sent to Ford a few months ago. I doubt that any of them have been on a drag strip... so, what do you really think the car should do?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BlackICE said:

BlackICE

another dumb ass question, if in fact a GT turns in the 10's and has no roll bar, won't the safety crew kick the car to the pits???

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
bony said:
another dumb ass question, if in fact a GT turns in the 10's and has no roll bar, won't the safety crew kick the car to the pits???
You can always do it just one time on the track, or many times on the road, that is until you get caught and throw in jail.

BTY,

I only went to the drag strip once in my life. 3 hours of waiting for a few seconds down the strip is not my idea of fun. Driving on a road course is the way to go, more track time and better suited for the GT. Now anyone have suspension treaks for road racing other than lowering it and Penske shocks? How about some adjustable sway bars?

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BlackICE said:
You can always do it just one time on the track, or many times on the road, that is until you get caught and throw in jail.

BTY,

I only went to the drag strip once in my life. 3 hours of waiting for a few seconds down the strip is not my idea of fun. Driving on a road course is the way to go, more track time and better suited for the GT. Now anyone have suspension treaks for road racing other than lowering it and Penske shocks? How about some adjustable sway bars?

BlackICE

I am not a street racer, I got way to much to loose.
Contact Rich Brooks, THE GT GUY about sway bars, and track mods that have not surfaced on the board yet. The gent selling the Penske shocks and lowering kits is a suspension expert and works with Rich.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You won't see much less than a 10.5 on the tires the car comes with. I would assume a whipple car will trap around 142-143mph, but unless you get better tires on it, I wouldn't be surprised to see 10.8-11.0 because you simply can get the car off the line.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I think that in the 1/4 the GT wont be able to run with the Viper because of the Viper's tire options.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
californiacuda said:
I think that in the 1/4 the GT wont be able to run with the Viper because of the Viper's tire options.

isn't piko joe proving that not to be the case....??? :wink

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Bob Ida just sent me

Hi all, WE have 700 rwhp with more to go.But if you cant get it to hook up
whats the fun! IM a big hp viper guy ill get it to do its thing.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
There are Vipers that run in the 8's in the 1/4 mile, they have been discussed in this forum. As great at Piko's car is, because of traction issues it won't be able to come anywhere near that time.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I personally didn't buy my GT as a dragster. I bought it as a road race car. I can't recall any historic GT40 used as a dragster either. It's much cheaper to build a sub 7 second dragster.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Gulf GT said:
I can't recall any historic GT40 used as a dragster either.

One of the more interesting facts I picked up from the 97 registry was a GT40 that won a hillclimb (Doune hillclimb, France) in 1969...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
There was a guy (Dr. I think) in Las Vegas that bought one from Ford in 68' and draged raced it for a year or so. The car got pretty beat up. He kicked out the windows and removed/cut out a bunch of stuff to further lower the weight. It was offered to my Dad for around $4000.00 in the early 70's. He passed on it, after all it was going to cost a few thousand to put back together and how much would a used GT ever be worth? :ack