ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Do it right the first time. Uh, OK.

The IW west balancer is a very nice piece and removing 10lbs from the snout of any crank will help in power especially when it drives a blower, I'm considering installing one. I will let you know if it's very difficult, this is a balancer of a GT40 which looks like the 07 GT500 balancer which is really crap and Ford even changed it on the 08 GT500. If I were you I would run the upper/lower combo. Do it right the first time.

balancer.jpg

Gentlemen,

I am not an automotive engineer, but for the purposes of this discussion, I don't need to be. Engineering on items as complicated as aircraft or automobile engines involve a tremendous number of variables. As such, theory, projections, speculation, and extrapolation are of negligible value. When it comes to modifying the expensive engine in my Ford GT, I'm not interested in anybody's theory about what's going to happen, I'm only interested in history. What DID happen. Every engine modification needs a pioneer, somebody has to go first. But when somebody proclaims that something worked on one car....so it will work on in a similar fashion on the Ford GT, I am quite skeptical. None of us have the test equipment and facilities of the Ford Motor Company nor do we possess the body of knowledge of that manufacturer. A new harmonic balancer/lower pulley may be the hot ticket. Or it may be a disaster. After a lot of testing and time on the road, we'll find out. A blanket proclamation that this is clearly the way to go if one wants to, "Do it right the first time", is a bit premature.

Ford GT owners have learned a lot over the last four years. I'm sure that there's a lot more to come. A select group of owners who relish the idea of being first, will continue to push the boundaries of our knowledge base. The pioneers take the arrows however, and no matter how well thought out a new mod may be based on theory and extrapolation, things often go awry.

The vast majority of us have been bitten in the past by the law of unintended consequences, so we are content to hold back and install mods only when they have proven themselves on the dyno and on the road for an extended period of time. Then and only then, can we be reasonably sure of "Doing it right the first time". JMO

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I doubt if anyone could tell the performance differences between a 10 vs 20 lbs balancer in a blind test. As for engine life with either, who really knows. The biggest reason why I don't even give the mod any consideration, is IMHO the engine has to come out to change it. So any benefits real, or perceived would be greatly overshadowed by the labor and potential for collateral damage.

If an engine has to come out for another reason, or it can be done easily with the engine in place, that's a horse of a different story.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Jon Lund i heard is a really good tuner ,did he tune ur car already with the 2.7 ? Ask him about doing the IW 10% under and the 2.7 upper with pump and VP 109,there is numerous amounts of GT500 people with this set-up and is proven to work and im sure it will do better and hold up in a GT40 5.4. I ran a VMP tune for Justin on my GT500 with 10% under and a 2.65 upper and made awesome gains.Maybe you can work out a custom tune with that set-up and i will help with the cost for a tune for mine ,let me know

That was the combo he wanted to run. I am running that very combo on my GT500. The lower pulley is the hot ticket on the GT500 motor.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Chip for reposting my thoughts on changing the FGT harmonic damper. It has been a while since I read my thoughts and believe they are still accurate today as when I wrote them. Thanks also to Mike for remembering and pointing the post out. We have many new FGT members as our membership is dynamic.

I doubt if anyone could tell the performance differences between a 10 vs 20 lbs balancer in a blind test. As for engine life with either, who really knows. The biggest reason why I don't even give the mod any consideration, is IMHO the engine has to come out to change it. So any benefits real, or perceived would be greatly overshadowed by the labor and potential for collateral damage.

If an engine has to come out for another reason, or it can be done easily with the engine in place, that's a horse of a different story.

Again Ice and I are on the same page and believe I stated this opinion in my original post. Thanks for the corroboration.

Don't believe there is anything else to add which I have not stated....

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009

I think you might be surprised. The only difference in the Innovators West GT500 version to the GT version is the offset of the belt. I can tell you first hand there is a very noticable difference with this pulley on a GT500. With the higher reving nature of the cams in the GT it seems like it would be even more bennifcial in its application. But is it worth the effort? In my opinion, its not if you have to go to the trouble of pulling the motor!

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
For what it's worth, we have removed the harmonic balancer from several GT's with the engine in the car with a standard balancer puller.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
For what it's worth, we have removed the harmonic balancer from several GT's with the engine in the car with a standard balancer puller.

Thats encouraging news! Is it something that a competent local shop could tackle? Is this pulley something that your shop would even recommend if I brought the car to Florida?

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
While I agree with Chip and IndyGT about keeping the stock balancer, given differences between the GT and GT500, I found an interesting post about the GT500:

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760

Beyond some interesting pictures, here is an interesting comment:

"The stock 2007 GT500 balancer is extremely heavy, about 27lbs. The design is borrowed from the Ford GT. Due to its weight, it is possible for this heavy balancer to strip out the keyway and/or crack the crank snout. Ford re-designed the 2008 GT500 balancer and made it over 10lbs lighter. Ford Racing requires the use of the 08 balancer on 07s, if you want to have the TVS blower upgrade installed by a dealer under warranty. "

I wonder if it is true that "Ford Racing requires the use of the 08 balancer on 07s, if you want to have the TVS blower upgrade installed by a dealer under warranty"? Is this really a problem for them but not us?

Funny how to use the IW pulley you have to grind a stub off of the front cover - that is pretty rigged up...

Last edited:

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Funny how to use the IW pulley you have to grind a stub off of the front cover - that is pretty rigged up...

Thats just for the OD pulley.

Last edited:

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009

Im in the process of installing the IW 10% lower on my GT .Do you guys have a tune for 2.7 upper/IW lower /FRPP RearExit kit with 93/109 fuel ?

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
Thats just for the OD pulley.

You have to grind a little of the TDC mark of the cover to compensate for larger in diameter lower ,nothing serious but nothing i will do to my GT to install

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Supercharger Pulley

Ford offers a replacement pulley kit part # M-2005-GT that they say is good for 100HP. Would like to hear from any GT owner who has installed this item and rate it for me. Kit includes a module to apparently tune the ignition/fuel system.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You buy the pulley, after you register it, they send you the tune module. Simple plug and play throught the ODB port. It is conservative. They were late to the party.

Gary, where have you been? We'll probably be doing a Rally to the Rally from my house for the Rally in VA. Is your car still in MO?