Which Exhaust for the GT??

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
What's the best exhaust to get fitted to the GT?? (soory for the newbie generic question!)

I want a good balance of weight reduction, increased performance (better breathing) and a MUCH better sound!

I want to get the exhaust fitted by the dealer before my car is shipped to the UK, and I will be leaving the CATS in situ.

I have a Tubi fitted to my Murcie and want something which elevates the experience of the car by improving the aural quality of the engine note.

So which exhaust fits the bill??

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Accufab X Pipe. Don't look at my embrassingly slow ET, but listen to the sound the car makes.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2154650088359811750&pr=goog-sl

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It you want it to make some real noise go with the Accufab. I have heard a few and they sound good, very racy. They are just too loud for me.

I like to go into stealth mode sometimes, so the Borla made more sense.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Exhaust

It's TUBI for me! Seems to be best of both worlds. Heard them all at the Rally and some are just too loud. Also, pay attention to harmonic vibration and resonance -- it can be awful. I have driven a 13 hour stint in the GT (stock) with no noise fatigue - not sure the aftermarkets can do that.

Gordo

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Fubar said:
It you want it to make some real noise go with the Accufab. I have heard a few and they sound good, very racy. They are just too loud for me.

I like to go into stealth mode sometimes, so the Borla made more sense.

I heard Bruce's Accufab at the Irvine event, and I was definitely impressed. I had a Tubi on my M5 and thought it was close to heaven.

Of course, every car and exhaust is different, so I will start all over again...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
FB GT40 said:
It's TUBI for me! Seems to be best of both worlds. Heard them all at the Rally and some are just too loud. Also, pay attention to harmonic vibration and resonance -- it can be awful. I have driven a 13 hour stint in the GT (stock) with no noise fatigue - not sure the aftermarkets can do that.

Gordo

How much louder than stock is the Tubi? I was impressed with the build and tonal quality of my previous Tubi. Who did you order the Tubi from? We used to expect a 6-10 week wait on those for the M5's.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
FRPP catless headers into FRPP Borla.

heavenly.... ! Don't think you had that combo at the rally, btw..

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
John Gourley (member of this forum) has the Tubi pipes installed on his - they sounded good to me at the Rally!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Ida Automotive is the way to go no question about it.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I have the Kinetic cat-back "H-pipe", and love it. I think the 3 similar designs out there (Accufab, Ida and Kinetic) are all good products, and probably pretty close, although some are offered with baffles and some without. Almost anything is an improvement over the stock muffler.... I am considering putting some headers "in front" of my cat-back pipe now.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would think that headers with either Accufab, Ida or Kinetic would be as loud if not louder that Ford Racing long tube headers. Since those exhuast pipes really don't have any sound attenuation. But I would love to hear one to see how load it really is.

BlackICE

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ida exhaust

I love my Ida exhaust. Not bad at all after hours on the freeway or in town but love that sound when it's uncorked! It really is close to the original GT40 sound.

Ed

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Tubi

"How much louder than stock is the Tubi? I was impressed with the build and tonal quality of my previous Tubi. Who did you order the Tubi from? We used to expect a 6-10 week wait on those for the M5's."

The Tubi is quite a bit louder than stock - but seems to smooth the pulses better. To my ear it's a great sound. Has a bit of a shriek to it up top. I'm pleased but think it may wear on you on a very long drive. Delivery was just a few days and I belive they had 4 units in stock and had sold 12 as of September.

G.

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
Tubi Cost??

What is the cost of the Tubi system???

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
Hello,

We have just begun our first production run of our own cat back system. It offers everything that you are looking for plus it has a set of really nice looking exhaust tips. You can click here for sound files, pictures and other details.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What do you think the exhaust system is worth for the typical pulley/tune/intake car Jason?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Are there baffles in the "heffner" system. The "balance tube" is this an "H" pipe? How is the sound at highway speeds? Cost?

hboyle2003

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
ARE ANY STREET LEGAl?

I notice on the Ford racing site the exh headers etc are listed as not street legal. Are any of the after market systems street legal?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
hboyle2003 said:
I notice on the Ford racing site the exh headers etc are listed as not street legal. Are any of the after market systems street legal?

The headers are not legal because they eliminate the cats. The other exhaust systems discussed on this site are cat back and thus remain emissions legal. They might not meet noise ordinances, but emissions wise you would be OK.

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
Dave, realistically it would only be worth about ten to fifteen horsepower on a pulley and tune car dynoing the car back to back with this and the stock muffler with the egine cover open. The greater advantage is the fact that it allows significantly more heat to escape the engine compartment while driving and ends up being closer to forty or so.

This system does come with removable baffles that allow you to taylor the sound level to your liking. Cost is 2299.00.