where is this coming from ?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
"Sandy" looking specs, non oily, splattered all over the window inside the engine bay. Cleaned window yesterday, and took a drive today and here they are again :confused:

101_1094-1.jpg

101_1095.jpg

Aug 25, 2006
"Sandy" looking specs, non oily, splattered all over the window inside the engine bay. Cleaned window yesterday, and took a drive today and here they are again :confused:

101_1094-1.jpg

101_1095.jpg

No oily film?

Just dry specks of an unknown material?

If the later I would speculate on something rubbing on ? and causing it to deteriorate or a belt

Takes care

Shadowman

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
look up super charger pulley leak here; a few have had it

could be dry residue

BradleyP

GT Owner
May 5, 2007
Is your pully and/or belt rubbing the foil insulation?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Have you washed your engine bay recently? If not, I would suspect what others have suggested that the belt is rubbing something/etc.
You could also have a small leak in one of the coolant hoses and the supercharger belt is slinging it up there. When the coolant dries, it has a spotty appreance..... :confused

Aug 25, 2006
Have you washed your engine bay recently? If not, I would suspect what others have suggested that the belt is rubbing something/etc.
You could also have a small leak in one of the coolant hoses and the supercharger belt is slinging it up there. When the coolant dries, it has a spotty appreance..... :confused

Great call

Shadowman

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Rubbing

Looks to me like BradleyP is onto something. From the pic it looks like a stock pulley but the big question is "Why is the pulley touching the heat shield?" Maybe a powertrain mounting issue???? Any other noises happening when the car is being driven??

Rich

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Is your pully and/or belt rubbing the foil insulation?

I thought the photo must have foreshortened the distance - it does look awfully close doesn't it?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Measured about 1/2 inch clearance between the pulley and firewall insulation:

101_1102.jpg

No supercharger leak under pulley:

101_1106.jpg

The hose closest to the "lower" pulley have clearance:

101_1105.jpg

Checked under same hose for signs of rubbing, none found:

101_1103.jpg

Never took a hose to the engine bay, collant and oil levels levels are good.

Still :confused, maybe I should look from the bottom with aero pan removed, also just an FYI car is an '06 with about 1900 miles on it

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Looks to me like BradleyP is onto something. From the pic it looks like a stock pulley but the big question is "Why is the pulley touching the heat shield?" Maybe a powertrain mounting issue???? Any other noises happening when the car is being driven??

Rich

I hear noises from the supercharger, I don't have "trained" ears, however I've asked Kendall to listen on two different occasions and he confirmed the noises I'm hearing are normal. Stock pulley by the way.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have never seen anything like that. :confused

H

HHGT

Actually mine does the same exact thing. I was whiplle'd approximately 1500 miles ago and it did the same thing before when it was stock. The only difference is that there is more of it now.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
The splatter pattern has definitely lines in it. Can you follow those lines back to a common point?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Tried, but hard to follow it below the glass window, the silver insulation does not show a patern or specs, on the glass however you can tell the pattern is projecting upward center, upward left and upward right. Super easy to clean, water damp cloth and this stuff (whatever it is :bang) comes right off.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I agree that it looks like fine mist of Coolant, possibly a slight leak. When mine blew off the whole engine compartment had similar looking spots. Mine was easy to find the disconnected hose. Yours sounds more frustraiting...good luck!

H

HHGT

Problem Solved

Cleaned the window when I left early this morning and drove car easily to C&C. Inspected the rear window and a very small amount was evident. Cleaned the window again before I left C&C on my way home and rode her in a spirited manner. Guess what? The window and all the surroundings were full of splatter.

Called Kendall to socialize this and while on the telephone as I stuck my finger on the clamp of a 1" coolant hose (2nd hose below the pulley) and VIOLA it was wet. Kendall inspected this on another car and it requires a 6mm socket to tighten. Problem solved - I think!

Back to Kendall to check all clamps. I'm thinking every 5000 miles.

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
Cleaned the window when I left early this morning and drove car easily to C&C. Inspected the rear window and a very small amount was evident. Cleaned the window again before I left C&C on my way home and rode her in a spirited manner. Guess what? The window and all the surroundings were full of splatter.

Called Kendall to socialize this and while on the telephone as I stuck my finger on the clamp of a 1" coolant hose (2nd hose below the pulley) and VIOLA it was wet. Kendall inspected this on another car and it requires a 6mm socket to tighten. Problem solved - I think!

Good deal!!! If that hadn't worked there's always the old "taste test". Surprisingly accurate... :thumbsup

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal

What a coincidence, my car was at Kendall's today when you called, yes he also checked mine, but mine was as dry as the Sahara desert, although this issue has not repeated itself since my first post :confused