Where goes the border between a "Great driver" and a Collectible?

FordZealot

Jul 6, 2014
Norway
First, in my point of view, ANY Ford GT is a collectible, but when reviewing ads, I can't really make out what makes a car a collectible or not. What is considered the tolerance of millage, paint flicks, scratches when it comes to a collectible? And, lets say if I a buy a collectible, how many miles can I put into the car without turning it into a "great driver"?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Popular consensus here is they will all be collectible. Mileage has an effect on F/V for sure, in the shorter term. In the longer term, many say that color and mileage will not have the same effect on value as they do today. 20 years down the road, these cars will be bringing far more than they do today, if things keep going at the pace they're moving at today.

Problem in your case, is that once you drive it, you won't be able to keep mileage down...it's a car like no other and you'll want to drive this car as often as you can.

Bottom line, every (non-salvage) FGT is and will be a collectible. Many here will punish you for not driving it (not me) :)

Everyone has an opinion, but I think most would agree that once you drive one, you'll want to drive it all the time.

I have several cars in my stable, some with more power and are faster, but none deliver the level of enjoyment the FGT does.

Good luck in your search!

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Popular consensus here is they will all be collectible. Mileage has an effect on F/V for sure, in the shorter term. In the longer term, many say that color and mileage will not have the same effect on value as they do today. 20 years down the road, these cars will be bringing far more than they do today, if things keep going at the pace they're moving at today.

Problem in your case, is that once you drive it, you won't be able to keep mileage down...it's a car like no other and you'll want to drive this car as often as you can.

Bottom line, every (non-salvage) FGT is and will be a collectible. Many here will punish you for not driving it (not me) :)

Everyone has an opinion, but I think most would agree that once you drive one, you'll want to drive it all the time.

I have several cars in my stable, some with more power and are faster, but none deliver the level of enjoyment the FGT does.

Good luck in your search!

Well said.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If you buy one and don't drive it...well, what's the point?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

To that I agree. Really, except perhaps for the Ford GT if you want an investment buy gold. Face it, we got lucky. But it's all paper gains until you sell. I could have retired when I was 50 if I'd cashed out. Didn't. Sigh...

Tomcat

GT Owner
I feel (at least in the current economy, etc...) the GTs are appreciating. My position is that driving just reduces the amount by which the FGT appreciates.
BUT, the lower $ appreciation is more than off-set by the joy of driving it...which is what I APPRECIATE.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I feel (at least in the current economy, etc...) the GTs are appreciating. My position is that driving just reduces the amount by which the FGT appreciates.
BUT, the lower $ appreciation is more than off-set by the joy of driving it...which is what I APPRECIATE.
I agree completely!! The ROI increases with miles. Think of it as s(miles)!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
As the years pass, these cars will be viewed in the same way as Shelby Cobras.
People buying those cars really don't ask or care about the mileage.
The way that I see it is that you can decide to drive something that has 4 wheels and tires, or park it in your living room and stare at it!
M

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm never selling. My plan is to rack up as many miles as possible while having the time of my life! When I'm gone the family will sell it!

Ed

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'm never selling. My plan is to rack up as many miles as possible while having the time of my life! When I'm gone the family will sell it!

Ed
Im with you Ed!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I call mine a collectable driver! Every mile has been a smile mile! As I say repeatedly.The guy who dies with the most mileage wins! Im not saving my GT for the next guy! So far Jeff is winning!
I am living proof you can drive em and still keep them mint!

Attachments

• photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 1888956_776977108979011_1888737616_o.jpg
    1888956_776977108979011_1888737616_o.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 142

FordZealot

Jul 6, 2014
Norway

I'd say staring at it is almost as exciting as driving it. No other car looks as good as the FGT. Unfortunately, I live in Norway where snow covers the land 6 months of the year, so staring will be a great part of the ownership:)

Treviso

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2012
Metro Detroit
To let these masterpieces sit is sinful! They are cars and cars are meant to be driven. Life is to be enjoyed maximally. We don't live nearly long enough to lose an opportunity like this...drive these cars!