Where abouts of missing concept car

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
My son is reading the new book Ford GT 40 and New Ford GT.

On page 149 the authors mention that one of the GT concept cars "got away".

Will some one better steeped in the history of the GT, than I, explain this statement by the authors.

Thanks in Advance

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Not sure if this is the car you are looking for but......I know that John Sadler, the fellow that owns the rights to the name GT40 ended up with the white concept car with blue stripes. It was not much more than a mere shell. He sold it at auction in Arizona last year. I was there. He got a pretty penny for it.

Rob

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
One Got Away

Rob - Do you know what the background is on this?

How did he get the GT shell in the first place? :confused

Jeff

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
It's a long and sorted story Jeff. As you are aware there was a bit of a falling out between Safir and Ford over the name copyright. The way it was told to me by John, Ford passed the car along to he and his business partner in compensation for one portion of their negotiations. He didn't get into too much more detail than that. A picture of the car is in my (Red) Ford GT book. John said that the fellow that bought it at the Steele Auction in Scottsdale last year owned some kind of a salon and intended to use it as a promotional tool. The car was a shell over steel frame. The wheels were the cool retro one's that were never used. The car sold for as much as a new one at the time. Kinda wacky if you ask me. I have John's number somewhere if you are interested in the goods from the horses mouth on this one. Just let me know.

Rob

Rob

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't think it sold for that much. I thought I remembered it being on eBay a few times....

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Can't confirm it without seeing the cheque DBK but I spoke with Bob and John at the auction after the car went through and the price that they quoted me was 140. I was shocked myself!

:ack

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Sold for $198 000

My mistake guys.....the car is listed and cand be viewed on the Russo and Steele past sales page. It went for $198 000 at the 2007 auction.

Rob

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
The One.... that got away

Rob thank you for the information. My son's question had been answered.

I was hoping that it might show up at Joe's GT Parts Barn & Depot. And thus remain in our Community.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I was hoping that it might...And thus remain in our Community.

Wish granted.