Wheel Repair

jrader1

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2006
Got a recommendation from KJRGT for wheel repair in So. Cal and the guy is a magician. I am as anal as can be and the guy fixed some small nicks on both my GTs. I thought I would post some before and after pics of one of the repairs. KJRGT was right, you cannot tell where the original damage was. The guys name is Son Tran and his telephone number is 714-757-6855, email onsitewheels@yahoo.com. He lives in Orange County but drove up to me in Malibu and did the repairs on site with the wheels still on the cars. He has done wheel repair for some heavy hitters and even fixed some wheels for BBS themselves. He said he tried to get the paint code from them but they refused. Here are the pics:wheel 1.jpgwheel 2.jpg

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Looks good. How did he get the wheel weights in there and re-balance the tire with it on the car? Maybe I'm being too much of a cynic. It looks great if it's the actual repair.

jrader1

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2006
Never took the wheels off or tires off of wheels. I doubt the paint he addded or removed necessitates a re-balance. I watched the whole process. He taped off area, then sanded the nick down. He said the paint on our BBSs are thick so it makes it easier. If it is too deep of a nick he would add filler. Next he methodically wiped down wheel with a cleaner. Once that dried he mixed up the formula and airbrushed the silver with a gun hooked up to a compressor. Taking his time to blend in the paint slowly. His hands were steady as a surgeon's. Once the silver paint dried he then covered with a clear coat. He said the trick is to get the combination of the paint and clearcoat right to match color. I see you're in Alberta but if you are ever in Malibu, I would be more than happy to show you the wheels (on of my GTs is a Heritage as well).

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I've heard great things about him from others in SoCal as well. Looks like a great job. I have a few chips I'd like taken care of. Maybe I'll see if he can do them next time I'm down there. How long did it take him to do that one spot?

jrader1

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2006
Looking at the pictures again, it may be possible that I took the after picture of the wrong area. The repair was that good, that I could not even tell where the nick was.

jrader1

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2006
Two hours. Since he was doing two cars and bouncing between three wheels on the two GTs, he was trying to be efficent and would work on one wheel while the other was drying.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Haha. No problem. The tire position looks the same (based on the tire markings), but there are definitely wheel weights in the 2nd picture that I can't see in the first one. Hence my comment. I've no doubt about the quality. Those guys that are doing it well are absolutely first rate.

PS - I'm taking you up on the offer when I'm down in Malibu. Don't worry, it won't be anytime soon. ;-)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
That looks great, I'll be giving him a call. Thank you.

Chip

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I'm glad Son is still doing repairs.
The repairs to my wheel 4 years ago were numerous and needed filler.
Perfecto!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Just saw this on my FB feed. I need to get this guy to do some touchups. The little chips on my wheels irk me to no end. His work looks incredible.

http://blog.modbargains.com/refinishing-curbed-wheels/

jvmax

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 13, 2008
anyone recommend someone in central florida?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
...mine could use a touch up, maybe I should give him a call.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 79

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
So Cal Wheel Repair

I have some minor damage on a couple of spokes of a FGT Standard wheel that fell on its face when I had it off the car ... my bad!. Does anyone who has used Son know if he will repair and re-ship a wheel sent to him as I'm on the right coast. If so, can someone forward his address and contact info.

His work does look great.

usmcfred

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Google Proformance Industries in New Rochelle,NY and speak to Mario the manager. He did my NSX wheels, and they manufacture custom wheels. They're probably among the best in the country. No need to send it to the left coast!!