Wheel and tire options for flat tires and survey

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
One of the great fears I have while driving my Gt is getting a flat tire.
Track time will be coming up in the spring and putting the car on a trailer would be a bummer when I could drive to the track. The thought of being on the side of the road in some of wonder spots in the Detroit areas worries me. No place for extra ammo inside in case of problems. One idea I had was to come up with an extra couple tires (front and rear) using a standard steel wheel and inexpensive tire I could put in the SUV that the family would be bringing to watch me. If I had a flat I would jack it up put on the steel wheel and fix the other later. The tire/wheel combo would be just a spare and not for racing. I may never need it but it would offer peace of mind. Finding a tire at 10:30 at night or a proper tow truck could be a challenge.

Questions...
I wonder how many have had a flat tire?
What was the cause?
Anyone know what standard wheel and tire would fit and have the same diameter?

Aug 25, 2006
Track time will be coming up in the spring and putting the car on a trailer would be a bummer when I could drive to the track. The thought of being on the side of the road in some of wonder spots in the Detroit areas worries me. No place for extra ammo inside in case of problems. One idea I had was to come up with an extra couple tires (front and rear) using a standard steel wheel and inexpensive tire I could put in the SUV that the family would be bringing to watch me. If I had a flat I would jack it up put on the steel wheel and fix the other later. The tire/wheel combo would be just a spare and not for racing. I may never need it but it would offer peace of mind. Finding a tire at 10:30 at night or a proper tow truck could be a challenge.

Questions...
What was the cause?

You gal should have come with a mobility kit aka tire repair system under the front hood.

This practice is used by many OEM's and will take care of all but the extreme tire loss.

Furthermore; tires of today, particularly high speed rated tires typically have a rather stiff sidewall that in worst case will let you migrate a short distance.

Flats are very rare in this day and age and yet I understand your concern.

Takes care and relax.

All the best

Shadowman

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Why put yourself through all that torment? Trailer the car ..... that's my plan.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
I have never had a flat on my super duty but I ordered it with 10 ply tires. I have the tire kit in the GT but with all the stuff on the road I wonder how many have had a flat tire? Driving a 160K car with a can of instant spare dosn't seem like enough. Are you saying that most cars today user sealer I/L/O a spare? All my other "cars" are SUV's so they all have full size spares.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
Why put yourself through all that torment? Trailer the car ..... that's my plan.

How far do you drive without the trailer? Ever had a flat?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
In the last 10 years I have had 3 flats on my trailer, and NONE on any of my cars or trucks...... my 2c

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Questions...
What was the cause?

There are some guys that have run some Mustang wheels and different tires, Locate some older posts on Joe's TT GT

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Mad in NC has had two flats. He likes to "screw" around. You can do a search for flat tires.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006

Questions...
What was the cause?

The folks at www.fordgtsupercar.com, in addition to the exhaust system test data they are working on, are developing a 13X19 rear and 10X18 front wheel system for the GT. It will provide clearance for the big brake systems, as well as allow fitment of the Viper or Z06 Corvette run-flat tires. The Michelin rubber on the Viper is 345/30 ZR19 ZP rear, and 275/35 ZR18 ZP front. The Viper rolling diameters are very close to GT stock, albeit a bit smaller. This helps with the ground clearance issues when street driving. The Goodyear rears will lower the rear of the car by at least an inch, and the fronts slightly less. The car is already so low if you don't carry your own jack, no gas station, tow company or tire place will be able to fit a lifting mechanism under the car if you go flat and the sealant won't pump up and hold. Of course, there is some compromise with the run-flats in ride and handling, but they perform surprizingly well in the magazine tests. The Michelins are less harsh and quieter than the Goodyears on the Corvette, plus they come with nearly full tread depth, 10/32 new versus the Goodyear's 8/32 new. As I understand, photos and clearance/jounce data will be on the www.fordgtsupercar.com site within 4-6 weeks. The stock rear GT rim width is not rated wide enough for these tires (11.5 actual versus 12.0-13.5 recommended rim width), although the front wheels are (9.0 actual versus 9.0-11.0 recommended). I have the same "flat tire in the boondocks or bad area worries", and will be running a set of these on the street.

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I never drive more than 25 miles from home and always through very safe areas. I haven't had a flat since 1995 when two 14 YO's ice picked both rear tires on my ZR-1; caught the little brats and had 'em pay for the damage.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
There are some guys that have run some Mustang wheels and different tires, Locate some older posts on Joe's TT GT

So the pattern is a standard late Ford? Does the Mustang use a space saver? The run flat seem like a good option, just hate to buy 4 run flat tires and wheels for somthing I drive less the a 1000 miles a year. I was kinda hoping I could find a plain jane steel wheel or space save type that I could keep in the SUV.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Maybe things have changed, but a couple of years ago tried to get a set of steel wheels for a car and found out (from tire rack) that the largest steel wheel that existed was a 16, had to go with an alloy to clear the caliper for a set of winter wheels. Again, maybe that has changed, but I doubt it.

Seems most issues have been nails and screws. Why not carry a plug kit (cheap and small), and a set of dykes (to pull out the nail / screw). You already have the hard part covered (a compressor). And maybe a sprayer with soapy water to help find the leak. This will get you where you need to go........

So the pattern is a standard late Ford? Does the Mustang use a space saver? The run flat seem like a good option, just hate to buy 4 run flat tires and wheels for somthing I drive less the a 1000 miles a year. I was kinda hoping I could find a plain jane steel wheel or space save type that I could keep in the SUV.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
check the viper sites. everyone is getting rid of run flats in favor of almost anything else.

Tonycan

GT Owner
Jul 23, 2006
Also keep in mind that most tires lose their speed rating after repairs are made. Personally, I would not drive a repaired tire on the track. Probably OK on the street at reasonable speeds. Also, with the price of tires on our cars, it pays to check pressures before leaving the garage.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
Maybe things have changed, but a couple of years ago tried to get a set of steel wheels for a car and found out (from tire rack) that the largest steel wheel that existed was a 16, had to go with an alloy to clear the caliper for a set of winter wheels. Again, maybe that has changed, but I doubt it.

Seems most issues have been nails and screws. Why not carry a plug kit (cheap and small), and a set of dykes (to pull out the nail / screw). You already have the hard part covered (a compressor). And maybe a sprayer with soapy water to help find the leak. This will get you where you need to go........

Now that is a good idea! I have put my share of plugs in as a young-in at the gas station. I think I will put together a kit. I do aggree once repaired it's time to replace. But could be a good spare, I would only need a wheel to mount it.

How many have had a flat tire?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I'm not mistaken, you aren't supposed to "plug" radials, but patch from the inside. I guess a plug would work in an emergency, but I wouldn't want to drive much over the limit with it. Also, I think I read where there are now lawsuits over the runflats becasue you can't re-use them (no one will certify after repair) so they may be going the way of the dodo.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Belize,

I had a flat(at home) and was able to use the do-hickey that comes with the car. Had a real nice size bolt in the tire. The tire inflator/sealer worked perfectly. Took the bolt out and drove for a couple days before I replaced the tire.

Manny

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I caught a screw at 3000 miles and it held air for about 25 miles until I could get a new tire and replace it. Tire cost $322 plus labor. I would never run a patched or plugged tire on a high speed car like this.

How much is your life worth?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I caught a screw at 3000 miles and it held air for about 25 miles until I could get a new tire and replace it. Tire cost $322 plus labor. I would never run a patched or plugged tire on a high speed car like this.

+1 :thumbsup

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI

I agree on the plug not being safe, but I have no problem doing it to get home or to the dealer for a new tire. Being stuck on the side of the road reminds me of that Chey Chase Movie "vacation" where they get lost in St Louis and while asking for directions the local youths are spray painting the car with grafiti and stealing there hub caps. It's sad people can't leave there hands off others property , but a GT on the side of the road would be a magnet for crooks. Might be hard to steel the tires, I don't think a concrete block will fit under it

It is good that those that have had a flat are happy with the sealer.