What's the most ridiculous item on the GT?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Some will say it's the Mac sub woofer. But as I was showing someone the interior of the GT and explaining all of the toggle switches I realized that with the 550 HP weenie roaster in the back do you really need a rear window defroster ?? :rofl They could have used that switch for some cool LED lighting..:biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I good point!

Has anyone neede to use it yet?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
The reason for the rear defroster is that some states (NY for one I believe) require them as standard equipment. What had everyone shaking their heads on the PB cars was the glow in the dark emergency hood release cable INSIDE the front compartment. (as required inside trunks of regular cars). Anybody trapped in the front compartment of a GT would have little use of an emergency release! The latch was a carry over part from something. They got a waiver to eliminate it before production. :thumbsup

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Has anyone neede to use it yet?

Only once, and that was by accident on the way back home from Indy.

I was messing with the IPOD and then saw the light go on the dash. I freaked out, didn't know what it was. Thought it was the check engine light. After I fumbled around and used a number of explicative words for a few miniuites; Mrs. Spirit calmly said that it looked like the symbol on the AC contol [wavy lines]; only then did I realize it was the rear defroster light. Felt much relived and also kinda dumb. Calmed down and continued with the enjoyable drive home.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
The 65lb muffler.

There has to be a story behind this thing. Anyone on the team know the story. With all the efforts to save weight, how did this thing make production?.

The only things I can think of are:

Traction

Insulation increased the weight......The Borla is not very loud and weighs 25lbs less.

The weight is there for a reason ? high and heavy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My guess would be legal sound limits and heat insulation.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The 65lb muffler.

There has to be a story behind this thing. Anyone on the team know the story. With all the efforts to save weight, how did this thing make production?.

The only things I can think of are:

Traction

Insulation increased the weight......The Borla is not very loud and weighs 25lbs less.

The weight is there for a reason ? high and heavy

I understand it's part of the rear crumple zone. If someone else said this sorry I didn't get to the end of the thread.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The Big Mac sub/amp probably tied with the doors/roof. The former can be fixed (and has been on my car); the latter I'll just live with as a design quirk!

M

Mark O

I think the most ridiculous feature of the car would have be the huge external glove box. :lol

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I vote for the backup lights. Can't see crap behind the car anyway, so don't even know if the lights are on.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
+1 on the huge heavy unsightly muffler

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
2 people who have seen my car have already chuckled at the rear defroster.

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
Non-functioning brake ducts.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Non-functioning brake ducts.

+1!!!

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Ahh now ACR you have to know the history of the car and that it wouldn't be the GT without those doors.

The muffler...freakin thing already warped one set of louvers...had to change it out to get the heat out correctly.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
No question about it.

Far and away the most ridiculous thing on my Ford GT is the $2500 Arizona license plate affixed to its rear end. The tab for the first year was $3000. For me this works out to a little over two dollars a mile for license plates. And that, my good friends, is ridiculous!:ack :ack :ack

Chip

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Far and away the most ridiculous thing on my Ford GT is the $2500 Arizona license plate affixed to its rear end. The tab for the first year was $3000. For me this works out to a little over two dollars a mile for license plates. And that, my good friends, is ridiculous!:ack :ack :ack

Chip

Right on Chip We are all tired of paying more than our share of taxes. But my vote goes to the lack of a glove box.:thumbsdow Or doors that would be easier to use if the opened up. Or a sub woofer that lookes like it belongs in the hood. But in spit of these we still love our GTs:lol

FLY GT40:confused

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I haven't found anything that I don't like - but I might add a window break hammer at some stage. I doubt I'd ever invert the GT, however I would imagine that it's impossible to get out of when on its roof. I recall seeing some horrible pictures a while back from an accident involving a Murcielago.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

Chip

Chip,

I have to say I absolutely love my Arizona license plate. It cost me a grand total of $15 for sales tax, title, plate, and two years of registration.

Now that might be just as ridiculous, but I'm definitely not complaining.

Best Regards,
Jason

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Chip,

I have to say I absolutely love my Arizona license plate. It cost me a grand total of $15 for sales tax, title, plate, and two years of registration.

Now that might be just as ridiculous, but I'm definitely not complaining.

Best Regards,
Jason

Waldo, sounds like a tax bill will soon be awaiting your return of duty serving this great country.....

Re: the GT, how about the speedometer and cup holder!