What Were You Thinking?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Set aside the argument that the GT appeals to you physically, and you are pleased with the performance potential with comparatively few modifications, what was your underlying global plan when buying your GT(s).

For example, were you:
a. looking for a car that would amuse you for a year or so?​
b. seeing the car as a very long term/indefinite keeper/collectible?​
c. just not seeing anything else that had current appeal?​
d. attracted only by its comparative rarity?​

- doc

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
eshrink said:
Set aside the argument that the GT appeals to you physically, and you are pleased with the performance potential with comparatively few modifications, what was your underlying global plan when buying your GT(s).

For example, were you:
a. looking for a car that would amuse you for a year or so?​
b. seeing the car as a very long term/indefinite keeper/collectible?​
c. just not seeing anything else that had current appeal?​
d. attracted only by its comparative rarity?​

- doc
b

Rob

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Rob:

There is a thing called completion compulsion wherein some people attempt to find the final and perfect decision (it is, of course, illusory). They attempt to find the perfect mate, the ideal and final family home, the ideal schools, job...and hobby purchases.

I met a fellow who paid $200k for a 1959 Gibson Les Paul (guitar) in fair condition. It was, for him, the quintessential purchase.

I met a fellow a year ago who had purchased a 427SC Cobra that he has owned since new, and it had 14k miles on it, accumulated 1/4 mile at a time. He had never planned to sell it, and over all these decades, he has never sold it...and will not.

There have been cars like the Hemi `cuda, L88 `67 Corvette and others which would have been the perfect decision.

I know a fellow with a historically relevant automatic weapon. It is worth a fortune, and he will never sell it in his lifetime.

I do not know if it is possible to now purchase a collectible car (as far as guitars Fender, Gibson, PRS....or guns Colt, Beretta, Smith & Wesson have tried to create instant collectibles and have not succeeded). Anyone want #11 Fender Harley Davidson? It's instant collectibility went from high $40k range to its current $20k range.

However, it was a specific generation that wanted these cars and guitars. That generation may not be followed by a subsequent generation with the same interests and goals.

They have made a good number of GTs. Will future generations want them? Does it matter? Are the people who put them up still wrapped making a wise investment?

Were KTEL and CMGI good equities to buy?

Some art still is a good buy...some gems may be.

Maybe the compromise is to enjoy the GT, but take good care of it, and perhaps it will retain more resale value than most expensive things we buy during our lifetimes.

- doc

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
b, c, d and i just love driving the damn thing..... :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
An interesting question!

If I tell you that a thousand school books of mine featured (bad) sketches of the GT - that duck ass flip, the rear curves. I had to have one - like a moth to a flame. I can't tell you how excited I was when Ford announced they'd build a new one.

Global plan? It's my dream car, it's an instant classic, it's vintage and contemporary, it's completely timeless, I don't need more bhp or a higher top speed. It's style, grace and vulgarity. A complete engima. I'm spellbound.

Why would I sell it? I have no plans ever unless I was down to my last few pennies.

The fact that it PERFORMS just enhances the magic - I was half expecting it to be an 'average' supercar (I realise this is an oxymoron), by that I mean not a leap forward on the Murcielago or the Vanquish, but it's so different, so 60's so 21st century.

AND I'M DRIVING IT TOMORROW! :biggrin

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
b.

Wanted one since 1966.

First new car I have ever owned that I don't care if it depreciates because I really don't plan on selling. I think a lot of buyers will be long time owners. Remember, Ford thought the car would sell to people in their 50's and 60's that were more in to muscle cars and did not own exotics but had the love for the GT-40. They got us.

Just feels good to know it is in the garage and I can drive it whenever I want. Security. You know how we all like security. :biggrin

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
I dont believe in automobiles as investments. One can make so much more money in the same amount of time it takes one of these vehicles to accumulate equity. Cars as well as other collectibles should be aquired for personal enjoyment, not as an investment opportunity, thats my own personal opinion.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
e. I have wanted one since I saw the Lemans start on TV in 67. I saw the 123 finish either that year or the year before. I was only 11 at the time. I have followed Ford's teasing us with several company sports cars beginning with the streetable GT40 advertised for $18,500. Then the Mach 2C, a mid engined next generation car powered by a boss 429. This was the brainchild of Bunkie Knudson and pal Larry Shinoda. If you don't know who they are google them. Then Henry II had a problem with Bunkie and fired them both. This killed the car. Then SVT around 1989 developed the GT90, another stillborn car. It was on display at the centennial at SVT HQ.

I was willing to bet the Gt project was going to be another giant tease. Once it became real I had to have one. No plans to sell ever. This is the only truly mass produced sports car Ford has made. Hopefully not the last.

I guess you could argue the original Thunderbird was a sports car, but I think it was simply a cruiser like the modern version was.

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
It is difficult for me to imagine, in this very changed (2003-2006) world, that the GT will ever have a future sibling nearly as interesting...not only with regard to historical roots but to exclusivity.

No other manufacturer has a car to recreate...not a Le Mans winner...

Let's face it. The early GTs were very difficult hard to find/acquire. The current cars are easier to find, and admittedly they are not flying off lots even at MSRP. Even though this entire GT concept has reportedly been profitable, it is likely not the best allocation of funds for a future project.

So I can see the new Cobra, the GR-1, etc emerge, but like the Gen. IV Viper or the Z06 Corvette, I do not see them as being part of an exclusive club even though they likely are (will be) good cars.

I agree that investing in cars (except as Keith [of Barrett-]Jackson does, and he makes his own market) is unwise.

It would be great, however, if the legacy of the current GT was such that it inspired one to keep it indefinitely.

- doc

Last edited:

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
b. - I don't buy cars as investments (Pleeease don't mention this to my wife :eek ) but because I really enjoy them for what they are. They give me great pleasure driving them and caring for them. :banana I have no plans to sell.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Ford GT 150 - 250 thousand

Tank of 93 octane $45

Hooters girl that climbed into my car at lunch today - - - Priceless

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Probably like many people here, I thought about all of these things. I test drove a lot of sport cars over a 3-4 month period prior to making my decision.
So, I think my decision came down to the following:
1) Of the cars I had driven, the GT was the most fun and easiest to drive. I mean the Ricardo shifter with this much torque and drives like a Honda Accord....just one capable of hitting 200 mph.
2) Many of the comparable new cars, Lambo Gallardo, Ferrari F430, and 360 CS, were closer to or above 200K. The GT I could obtain for MSRP, at around 167K. And I did not consider this a compromise.
3) The exclusivity and rarity of the car...downside is that I parasite onto other local car clubs (eg. Ferrari and Corvette clubs) but I never see another one on the road. This ruled out the very fine C6 ZO6.
4) Ford is not making any more after this year.
5) Nothing else even looks remotely like the GT. It's interior and doors (gotta hate'm; gotta love'm) are unique.
6) I wanted a balanced car...not just superfast in a straight line, like a turbo-charged viper or lingenfelter vette...but a car that was capable of handling corners and slolam precisely.
7) Finally..passion. A friend of mine, a Ferrari owner, gave me this advice prior to my decision to purchase this car, "Buy the car that you are most passionate for..." I simply love this car. I tried to convince myself to wait for the 2007 Porsche Turbo...but it just did not push the right buttons.

Last edited:

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Hubby loves the GT40 as do all of you (sans perhaps eshrink). He can explain why he chose this car over all others, but I can tell you that I'm tickled pink to see that car in the garage every day. We have a Heritage. For the first time in my life, I understand when someone referrs to the "purr" of an engine. She's low, she's sleek, she's beautiful to behold... and she packs a whollop when you step on the gas! This car is too much fun! As for value... let's hope it maintains it (or goes up in value), but if it doesn't, that's OK. It is simply a hoot to own it; it sure gets a lot of attention every time we take it out!
Mrs. Blue Moose

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Mrs. Blue Moose:

Actually, I never said that I did not like the GT; I merely was disappointed in my own GT, but that too is being rectified.

My family really enjoys the car, albeit my daughters love their horses more.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
eshrink said:
Mrs. Blue Moose:

Actually, I never said that I did not like the GT; I merely was disappointed in my own GT, but that too is being rectified.

My family really enjoys the car, albeit my daughters love their horses more.

...then they should REALLY love the GT: it has 550 Horses! :thumbsup

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
why GT?

I like the 60s (although; they say if you remember the sixties, you weren't there!), the car looks so very cool & it rails corners like no Mustang ever will!

I almost bought an ERA repro GT40 a few years back but I'm glad that I held out for the real thing. The Ford GT is boss.

Retro Ed

Hey, great thread Doc. Got the sticker yet?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Ed:

No sticker as yet. Shall let you know as soon as delivery occurs. And thanks again.

I was a GTO guy in the 60s, had three very interesting GTOs. It would be fun to drive two of the three one more time.

(Last night)
Neighbor: "Do you like that GT?"
Me: "I had better like it."

- doc

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
eshrink,

I was hoping to see some kind of a reply from you based upon the answers we've seen and the questions you've posed. Was also hoping to hear from you on why you bought your car. The general consensus seems to be that the Ford GT was wanted for a very long time by many people. Was that the case with you?

Like others, I have wanted a GT since the mid-60's. Being on a farm in rural Oregon, I had little exposure to anything automotive. I was able to follow the Ford racing exploits in the 60's, and like most, became very impressed with the Shelby effort. (My folks bought a new Mustang in the first week they were out, so that didn't hurt.) I can recall four specific events that eventually led me to my current car. One, I saw an article about the Cobra and the Ford GT in an article of TV Guide of all places. I thought, wow, I should have one of those (or both). Two, the Shelby American team actually stopped in my small community on their way to a race near Seattle, and darn near casued the town to come to a stop. Talk about a sight! Three, reading about Ford winning Le Mans in 1966 was just too much! And Fourth, seeing an original Cobra on Interstate 5 passing by my town. (My only sighting of a real Cobra for many, many years.)

Anyway, I am encouraged by the people who have responded and said, "I'm keeping my car forever." They will be totally pleased with their car, and I also project that with such a loyal owner-base, that the car will not be that easy to come by in the future (could be a decent investment).

I've owned enough cars over the years that it would be easy for me to say, "This car is a keeper." And then when the next hot thing comes along, say, "Oh, except this is nicer, I must have this." If I'm reading these threads correctly, there are a number of people who are owners who are sincere in their keeping of their cars. If you've wanted something from the 60's, it's not likely something that you're going to sell without some hesitation. You can count me as one of those. Funny, I bought my 05 GT in February, and I feel better about my decision today than I did five months ago.

Cobraman :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Cobraman:

I was a drag racer for many years, chiefly with Royal Oak Pontiac modified GTOs although one of my GTOs was equipped with a 421 Super Duty block rather than the standard 389. I followed drag racing (I have no road racing or NASCAR interests) for many years, but when the the early 70s concerns for oil and gas consumption castrated the cars, I lost interest and went immediately into Harleys.

I recall the introduction of the Ford GT40 and felt that it was an incredibly cool car in its day, but it was not plentiful enough that I longed for one. Two cars that I did want were a 1967 red Corvette convertible with black interior, 427/435 tri-power L89, optional black hard top, side exhaust, transistor ignition, cl. ratio 4-speed and 3.70 rear end. I also always wanted a 1962 Corvette 340/327 w/cl ratio and 4.11 posi. I never bought either, and, due to collectibility, they are now impractical.

I liked my wife's Viper, but I found it a bit torquey, and those run flat tires insured that you could not stand on it in any gear. It was like having a monster motor on a bicycle, and while I enjoyed its appearance, I did not enjoy driving it.

I tried to pre-buy a Ford GT when it was first mentioned in the trade papers. No dealer I knew had any interest in pre-sales. So I set aside the interest.

I then tried to buy it in 2005 but found that most dealers still controlled the market. I made two attempts to buy this year, the last of which resulted in ~8 offers. They differed as much as $30k for the same car.

I was in the process of closing on a black car when I was contacted about the blue car that I bought.

Fortunately, a member of this forum noted that my car was missing some parts and then ensued a complex process of finding the correct people in the company to address that issue.

When the appropriate person learned of the situation, he immediately set things in motion. It took quite some time to reach him.

Thus, I should be able to answer your questions about how I like the car in a few weeks. In the interim, I can only state that it is very shiny...those that can...drive...those that cannot...polish.

I suspect that my enjoyment of the car may well prompt me to buy a second one.

- doc

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
“Fourth, seeing an original Cobra on Interstate 5 passing by my town. (My only sighting of a real Cobra for many, many years.)”

Cobraman,
Would that have possibly by chance been in the summer of 1969?
A Red ‘narrow’ body 289 – black interior, top off, and with a young good looking redheaded girl in the passenger’s seat?
If so that was me and my girl friend [at the time] either on the way up to or on the return trip back from Victoria on Vancouver Island, BC.
If not, at least you brought back some VERY fond memories for a few moments.
Now that was a ‘Road Trip’ – San Francisco to Victoria & back with a beautiful girl and in a true raw brute of an automobile to boot.
Do I ever miss those days!!oot.
Woops; my age is starting to show.
Come to think of it, I'll be doing it again this August, only from Texas to Detriot and back in a GT [a little more refined and a lot more comforable] - and yet again, with a goodlooking readheaded woman with me.
Ain't Life Just Absolutly Great!!