What was the last car to have this feature?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
foot_switch.jpg

A buddy posted this to FB... some responders did not know. :bored Haven't seen this discussed in a few years, when/why did it go away? I don't recall (I have a severe case of CRS).

I do remember it spawned at least one joke. Something about why car companies had to go back to the foot switch... too many blondes getting their feet stuck in the steering wheel. :biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Hmmm...last car..that's a tough one. They pretty much phased out as FWD phased in, and with FWD the advent of the multi-function stalk. So...70s-80s they were disappearing fast, but the last one? IDK.

Flash to pass was a PITA with those crunchy switches.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My folks had one in a 1972 1/2 Ton Chevy. We lived in the sticks in the central CA valley. Late moonless night and I stepped on the damn button..... and the lights went OUT! Took me a second or two to try squishing it with my foot again and finally got the lights to come back on. Never used it much after that. Fewer lawyers in those days...

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
1991 Ford F series trucks.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Fewer lawyers in those days...

Terrible, terrible times. :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I'm not mistaken, Volkswagens in the state of New Jersey were the last cars to have the dimmer switch on the floor. There was some archaic law in that state that they all had to be modified from the turn signal stalk.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
my first truck was a 1978 K-5 Chevy Blazer and it had one of those....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My 1964 Lincoln convertible has one, and the mysterious Autronic Eye. Sounds creepy.