What the Most Ridiculous Thing You've Ever Overheard About a GT?

GTeddy

GT Owner
Nov 4, 2006
Whats that?

Had my Red '06 for about 6 weeks now....have had at least 4 conversations with cluless car folks (male & female) that go something like this:

Bozos: Hey cool! What is that thing?

Me: Its a Ford GT. (they are usually looking at the huge "Ford GT" lettering on the side of the car while this discussion occurs...)

Bozos: Wow! Who makes that?

Me: ahhh that would be Ford...

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Ford should have called it a GT 44. Would have cleared up some things.

As for the average person not knowing, how many hobbies do you know well? If a women walks up with a 5k dress, and jimmy chou shoes, and an 800 purse, can you identify them?

I have worn $200 suits and $2k suits, and I still can't tell the difference if I'm not wearing it. (and barely then)

I remeber parking my first Viper at an outdoor bar. Guy with mercedes a few tables away, "who would pay 50k for a dodge?" Of course my thought was who would pay 50k for a 4 door sedan? But instead I beat him to death with a pool cue. Just kidding.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
MDT said:
I remeber parking my first Viper at an outdoor bar. Guy with mercedes a few tables away, "who would pay 50k for a dodge?" Of course my thought was who would pay 50k for a 4 door sedan? But instead I beat him to death with a pool cue. Just kidding.
I like the way you think.

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
Alot of people tell me its a Ferrari or Lamborghini, and that the holes in the seats are for air conditioning and have speakers in them

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
MDT said:
Ford should have called it a GT 44. Would have cleared up some things.

I'm with you on this. Was it 44 inches or 43 though? Either way, I run into this problem all the time when I talk about a GT.

I see this happen all the time too, not with just the GT though. For instance the Lightning guys always run into either the Hemi guys who think they have the fastest trucks on planet earth (which makes for some funny stories) or people who just think it's a regular F-150. Then there are those who spit out the most random "information" about them that I can't help but laugh before correcting them.

This thread is hilarious though. :lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
MDT said:

:lol

Obviously the most frequent and bizarre question is "what kind of car is that?"

"Hmm, let me check. It seems the Blue Oval on the nose, the Ford GT lettering on both sides, and the Ford GT wording on all four wheels and the steering wheel is intact. It would appear, in fact, that this is a Ford GT. Of course, I'm kidding. This is Ferrari."

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
ETW said:
Alot of people tell me its a Ferrari or Lamborghini, and that the holes in the seats are for air conditioning and have speakers in them

Yes, I've heard that also.

"Dayum. I thought that was a Ferrari when I first saw it!" As if that is the biggest compliment or something, and I should be impressed.

And yes, I've also been asked - "Cool - are those little speakers in the seats?"

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
I have driven my car a total of 10 miles. At the one traffic light I had to stop for the neighboring car put down the window and asked what kind of car it was. My response was a Kia with the areo kit. I am picking the car up friday and I can't wait to see what happens on the ride to the shop.

V8 FGT

GT Owner
Oct 2, 2005
London
Funniest thing I have heard so far:

Driving very slowly in traffic in West London, following a mate of mine in his Diablo 6.0l........overheard a guy who was obviously showing off to his girlfriend.....

Guy: Hey look at those two lambo's

Girl: are you sure the seond one is a lambo

Guy: Of course, but it looks like he's changed his wheel centres!! :ack

I kid you not!!! :bored

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Another one. "Who would pay $150K for a car with a F150 Motor?"
Mis-information is abundant!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
ROCMAN said:

Today at the Ford Irvine Cars and Coffee, I overheard a lady at the show, that appeared to be working with the Ford organizers, telling a group of 3 cyclists, with conviction, that:

1) These cars (pointing to the Ford GT's) are replicas.

2) They are made in South Africa.

3) There are only 300.

4) They are about $90,000.

I politely explained to her that the cars she was referring to are actual production vehicles, made in America, of which 4,038 were made, and that the base sticker price starts at $150,000 for a 2006, but due to demand and options, price paid has often exceeded that figure.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
MDT said:
If a women walks up with a 5k dress, and jimmy chou shoes, and an 800 purse, can you identify them?

I think they call those "gold diggers."

:wink

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
ROCMAN said:

:lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MDT said:
If a women walks up with a 5k dress, and jimmy chou shoes, and an 800 purse, can you identify them?

hope so, I'd respond... "hi dear, how was shopping, whats going on for dinner?"

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
"Wankage" at car show

Went to a local show and shine today. Just to stop in and look over the other muscle cars. Got talked into registering and won best in class and best in show with the GT! Dumb luck.
Anyway, as I sat there and listened to folks talk about the GT, I heard the typical and then the stupid.....
- This has to be a kit car. They only built about a dozen of the real GT-40's. This is a cheap knockoff.
- These things have, like 1000 hp.
- This car costs $400k. (I told that guy I'd sell it to him for $300k on a deep discount, but only if he bought today!)
- This guy must be drug dealer. Nobody can afford one of these, even if they can find one.
- These things are all show and no go. Real low hp...like 250.
- I wonder how they get the engine in under that hood. It's so low and small. (I'm thinking...Gee, I wonder what this dope thinks all that mechanical stuff is under the glass hatch!)
- These are all plastic bodied.
- You can only get this car as an automatic.

It was quit funny to listen to how even some hard-core car guys really don't know what the GT is all about.
Good fun! :willy

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
MDT said:

I have no idea how I know this, but it's Jimmy Choo shoes... :wink

Probably comes from working for my dad when I was young, he was a graphic art director, so I am forever susceptible to branding and logos...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
StuM said:
Went to a local show and shine today. Just to stop in and look over the other muscle cars. Got talked into registering and won best in class and best in show with the GT! Dumb luck.
Anyway, as I sat there and listened to folks talk about the GT, I heard the typical and then the stupid.....
- This has to be a kit car. They only built about a dozen of the real GT-40's. This is a cheap knockoff.
- These things have, like 1000 hp.
- This car costs $400k. (I told that guy I'd sell it to him for $300k on a deep discount, but only if he bought today!)
- This guy must be drug dealer. Nobody can afford one of these, even if they can find one.
- These things are all show and no go. Real low hp...like 250.
- I wonder how they get the engine in under that hood. It's so low and small. (I'm thinking...Gee, I wonder what this dope thinks all that mechanical stuff is under the glass hatch!)
- These are all plastic bodied.
- You can only get this car as an automatic.

It was quit funny to listen to how even some hard-core car guys really don't know what the GT is all about.
Good fun! :willy

Well, you definitely should win the award for most crazy-talk in one day.

Just nutty. Yeah, I would think the average hot-rod enthusiast would have a clue. Bizarre.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
SYCO GT said:
I think they call those "gold diggers."

:wink

NO! They're called delusional "IDIOTS".
They're of the "baffleus-with-bullcrapus" family of idiots. They know absolutely NOTHING about whatever subject they may be opining - which is painfully obvious to all ... yet they feel compelled to appear knowledgeable on all topics, and therefore will utilize whatever level of conviction and authority they deem necessary in their useless dissertations to pursuade those around them they actually know what they're talking about. (Sorta like ME! :rofl )

E.P.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
SYCO GT said:
I have no idea how I know this, but it's Jimmy Choo shoes... :wink

Hummmmmmmmmmmm...

I had some electric "Choo Choo's" once ... 'same guy? :shrug

e.p.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
MDT said:
As for the average person not knowing, how many hobbies do you know well?

I think the point of these listings is: the people cited herein tried to create the impression they were actually stating FACTS extracted from their vast knowledge of the item being discussed ... when they really didn't know SQUAT. They were just hoping their listeners were dumber than THEM on the subject and wouldn't' know the difference... therefore making THEM look "superior". The stuff listed here is intended as criticism of the FRAUD these Bozo's were trying to pull off ... not criticism of their ignorance of the subject at hand.

Mark Twain said it best:" Everybody's ignorant ...only on different things."

"Pontificating Pockets" :biggrin :cheers :cool :party