What the Most Ridiculous Thing You've Ever Overheard About a GT?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Last Sunday was a beautiful day to just hang out in this small Suburban Philadelphia town where car and bike lovers gather to show off their toys (New Hope for those of you familiar with the area). We watched as an endless parade of Corvettes (including no less than five C6 Z06's), a handful of Porsches, a couple Ferraris and a host of other enthusiast’s cars passed within a very brief period (but not a single GT I might add ….. hehehe).

Meanwhile, sitting close by were these two moronic, half-drunken blowhards who for reasons that are completely unclear suddenly felt compelled to verbally bash the Ford GT. I was on my Harley so the jerks had no clue that someone within ear shot might be put-off by their nonsensical diatribe. I endured the assault on my ears until I could stand no more. Here’s what I overheard in chronological order:

• The GT is the one with a cam in the back window.
• It (the GT) is way overpriced at $100,000.
• The GT uses old technology.
• The Z06 is much faster than the GT.
• Why would anyone even consider buying one (a GT).
Empty Pockets just reminded me of one I'd forgotten - "the car has been recalled three times."
I usually shrug things like that off, but at that moment I just felt obligated to respond. I engaged these two dopes for a few minutes until I realized that a battle of wits with these two mindless jackasses would be tantamount to striking unarmed men.

BTW, it was the ZO6 comment that put me over the edge despite the fact that it’s a great car and I’ve owned 11 Corvettes so I’d be a fool to pooh-pooh the car. I suppose it was the preponderance and timing of their comments that caused me to snap.

So let’s have it ….. have any of you ever had to endure such ridiculous nonsense?

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just uninformed, non-mean stuff. When people see the signatures on the cross bars, they really go crazy.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I was asked if mine cost 1.3 Million. :lol
Most people get their info from someone that read something about someone that heard that the flux capacitor was crappy. :biggrin

BTW, isn't the Z06 faster? :biggrin

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Ahhhh, the city of brotherly love!!! You go Joe, let 'em have from all angles
and just when they think you've given up, hit 'em again with an intelligent barrage of facts and specs.

You'll get that stuff no matter what the subject. Like you with your Vettes I've always been a Viper guy. Now that I own a GT also we all know that it is a much more polished and refined vehicle then the Viper will probably ever be, but I'll always defend what the Viper is and stands for. Because I also own both I (speaking factually) I know that I can beat a GT in my Viper, but that's because I race motorcycles and know a little bit about slidding a car, apex's etc. If I'm driving my GT vs. myself in my Viper, GT wins but not by much.

Sorry, I drifted (no pun intended) a little bit, you go back to giving them hell Joe and if you ever need a New Yorker for a back, I'm there...BigDan

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The doors are gullwing. Also most people still don't know what the car is. I have been to two major car shows where the car was either parked in the wrong area or the parking attendant didn't know if it was a chevy or not.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I hear ridiculous things about all cars all the time...

I think less than 5% of men are real car guys; so majority are talking out their rear-ends in general. I would love to know the combined circulation of all car mags, as a test

below stats give us a feel for sorry state of car-guy'dom and why most dont care....

-In general the average bloke is losing 50% on leaving the new dealer lot

-the most popular color of cars is white (no offense to the classic Shelby white/blue)

-Most people would rather buy a new Hyundai/Kia/Suzuki than a nice used 5-10 yr. od BMW/MB/Porsche/Audi, for same price

-75% of men cant drive stick

-women purchase 65% of new cars...great gals; slacker guys!

-Based on non-registered VINs in states DMV databases its est. 33% of 1950-70s classics are destroyed or gone

I just dont talk, listen, or converse with anyone on cars unless they are certified car-nuts.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Maybe a bit off topic but...

Cop said to me...."What is that thing, some kinda' ferrari or sumthin'?"
Me.................... "Nope, it's a Ford"
Cop................... "Well, what ever it is, slow it down"

mardyn

SkyMan

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
mardyn said:

mardyn
:lol :lol - That's a good one!

Stuff like this reminds me of when I was looking for an available GT. I was calling dealers in my area, and they all had no idea what i was talking about.

One call went something like this:

Me... " I was wondering if you have a Ford GT available for sale/order."
Salesman... "Yeah! We have 17 of them in the parking lot!"
Me... "Not the Mustang; the GT40..."
Salesman... "I've never heard of the Ford GT40"

:lol

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
joe
would you ever really consider anything that comes out of the likes that hang out in "new hope" to be intellegent ???
the only thing those people there are good for is "putting things in their mouths"
call me next spring, and we will drive two gt's through that queer little town

sam
#1451---------red/white
#003 ------extreme saleen
#038-------parnelli jones(be here in dec)

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Dumb dealer

I stopped at a Ford dealer down from my office asked the service manager if he had any SVT tech's that could service my GT. He asked if it was Supercharged, I said I thought they all were and he said it depends on which "Mustang" you bought. I pointed to the car and said no a "GT" and he said "Oh no, we don't have anyone that can work on that". And this from a dealer.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
mardyn said:

mardyn

now thats funny :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Another "dumb dealer" incounter @ parts counter,et al l

Reading the writing on the wall, I went into my local Ford dealer to order up a "spare" front spliter for my GT to have on hand when the unavoidable finally happens:
"I need to order up a front spliter, or you might call it a front air dam, for my Ford GT. I can show yuh what I want in the parts book."
"What year is your MUSTANG?"
" 'Don't own one".
"But, you just said ..."
"2006 Ford GT? ... as in mid-engine? ... limited production? ... 205 mph "supercar"? ... as in GT40?" ('Don't remember the exact order/words I put this in.)
The lights come on ...
"Oooooooooooooh!! One of THOOOOOOSE ...............!"
Krymuny...
It's REALLY amazing how even Ford DEALER PEOPLE don't have a clue what you mean when you say "Ford GT" 95% of the time! Virtually ALL OF 'EM think you're talking about a Mustang. Wouldn't you THINK a guy would say, "Mustang GT", if that was what he was talking about?
Like I've said B4, Ford shudda called it the GT43, or the GT44... ANYTHING that'd instantly clear the air as to WHAT we mean!

Next situation: 'Sittin' in a restaurant ... GT parked in plain view (naturally!!! gotta keep an eye on it!) ... three kids (early 20's) within earshot ... one says to the other, "Those GT40's are a piece of crap. They're all lemons. No quality control at all. Those things have been recalled about a hundred times. Anybody who'd buy wunna THEM is just a rich (blankety blank) showin' off how much money he's got (note the grammer)." The third party at their table then leans over & whispers in this guy's ear ... the guy sheepishly sneeks a look in my direction ... I looked at him as if to say, "Hi, idiot" ... he turns back around and says the first smart thing I'd heard him say the whole time: "Lets go". And they did! And I was burnin' a hole in the back of this yo-yo's head all the way out the door! ( Reading this thread brought this to mind. I'd completely forgotten about it until now. It's the only "negative" thing I've overheard - or that's been said directly to me - about the car. But it figgers. You shudda SEEN those loosers! :ack )

Fun case(!): 'Talkin' to a couple employees at the tire store I've done business with for 40 years ... a guy I didn't know, but who the employees knew, walks up and says," Hey! 'You guys seen that new Ford GT 'in town yet?!" The two employees replied in the negative (I hadn't mentioned my car to 'em 'cause the subject just hadn't come up). They asked him if he was "bulls--ting" them ... He says, "No lie!! I've seen it twice now. 'Saw it just this Sunday headin' into town on the Hannagan! (a main road in the county). So, wise guy that I am :biggrin , I matter of factly asked the guy, "Was it blue with white stripes?" ... "YEAH! 'YOU SEEN IT?!!" ... "Oh, yeah - pretty much every day."... "NO SH--!!!! WHERE?!!! "... In my garage..." :rofl I thought the guy was gunna soil himself. He had NOOOO idea ... and why would he ... especially since there I stood in my old work "grubbies" & driving my old, dirty, dented, beater pickup with the paint peeling off! I doooooooo love it when, "don't judge a book by it's cover", stuff like that happens! I'm just AWFUL! :lol

E.P.

XR750

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2006
he said...

"nice Probe"

no shit,...I said "thanks" and kept on going

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I ignore negative comments about the car and fat ass owner... life is to short. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
XR750:

Nice PROBE????????!!!!!! :eek
Oh! That's priceless!!!!!!!

Bony:

Roger that! :banana

E.P.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
An unusual comment from a young woman at McDonalds

I stopped at a McDonalds on the way back from Lexington, KY to Bowling Green. I parked the car in an empty lot next door. I looked out the window ten minutes later. There were 20 (I counted) teens and early 20 year olds hovering around the car. I looked up at the workers behind the counter and they said, "You aren't from around here are you?" Nope. "Well you parked in the local teen hangout area," they said in unison. Crap. Well, there I went. "Greetings fellow Ford lovers," I said with uncertainty. An attractive early 20 year old girl walked up to me and stopped about a foot and a half from my face and said for all to hear, "If I owned this car I would make slow love to it all night, everynight." I said to myself, "Don't respond, don't respond, don't respond...."

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dumbest thing I've heard - any of you owners saying you're going to sell!

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Roger Vincent said:
I stopped at a McDonalds on the way back from Lexington, KY to Bowling Green. I parked the car in an empty lot next door. I looked out the window ten minutes later. There were 20 (I counted) teens and early 20 year olds hovering around the car. I looked up at the workers behind the counter and they said, "You aren't from around here are you?" Nope. "Well you parked in the local teen hangout area," they said in unison. Crap. Well, there I went. "Greetings fellow Ford lovers," I said with uncertainty. An attractive early 20 year old girl walked up to me and stopped about a foot and a half from my face and said for all to hear, "If I owned this car I would make slow love to it all night, everynight." I said to myself, "Don't respond, don't respond, don't respond...."

well that was neither a bad or stupid response lol! :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
fjpikul said:
Dumbest thing I've heard - any of you owners saying you're going to sell!

amen good doctor :thumbsup

Tommy

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2006
XR750 said:
"nice Probe"

no shit,...I said "thanks" and kept on going

I hade a 89 Probe GT turbo :lol But I was 16