What should I expect...?

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
I am now in my second week with my new 2005 GT. I absolutely love this car. I am not familiar enough with the car to know if the few things I am noticing are "common" or need looking after.
By the way, I am a past Lotus owner so I have a high threshold for wierd noises and sometime erratic car behavior..
Indulge me if you will? Thanks
-How loud should I expect the a/c fan to be? I think this sounds like alot more cold air should be delivered with the robust fan sound I am experiencing..
-I expect some shifter cable whine and periodic vibration..no problem.But today, I think I heard a loose "something" rattling around on takeoff and sharp corners..If it were a Lotus, I would expect to find loose change.(gift of assembly at Hethel)..This sounded more like a loose bolt or screw rolling about in the console area.Any thoughts?
-Vibration from rear end..not exhaust pipes,not diffuser,not license frame,not plate..maybe exhaust cans ?
At any rate.. I love this damn car and look forward to driving as often as possible. Oh yeah, one major problem...I can't seem to get in and out of a gas station in less than 10-15 minutes. My record crowd was on visit #1..8 people admiring the car..today ..I felt rejected ..only 6!:wink

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The vibration in the rear may be from the heat shielding around the exhaust areas.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I am now in my second week with my new 2005 GT. I absolutely love this car. I am not familiar enough with the car to know if the few things I am noticing are "common" or need looking after.
By the way, I am a past Lotus owner so I have a high threshold for wierd noises and sometime erratic car behavior..Past Turbo Esprit owner here
-How loud should I expect the a/c fan to be? Mine is very quiet with a robust amount of air that gets cold quite quickly. No complaints whatsoever. I have read where other GT owners have a clicking noise...none here so far. I think this sounds like alot more cold air should be delivered with the robust fan sound I am experiencing..
-I expect some shifter cable whine and periodic vibration No cable whine or vibration ..no problem.But today, I think I heard a loose "something" rattling around Nothing loose on takeoff and sharp corners..If it were a Lotus, I would expect to find loose change.(gift of assembly at Hethel)..This sounded more like a loose bolt or screw rolling about in the console area.Any thoughts?
-Vibration from rear end..not exhaust pipes,not diffuser,not license frame,not plate..maybe exhaust cans ? At any rate.. I love this damn car and look forward to driving as often as possible. Oh yeah, one major problem...I can't seem to get in and out of a gas station in less than 10-15 minutes. My record crowd was on visit #1..8 people admiring the car..today ..I felt rejected ..only 6!:wink

It appears you have an black w/stripe delete as well.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
It appears you have an black w/stripe delete as well.

Congratulations. :thumbsup Good color choice. :biggrin

--

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Oh yeah, one major problem...I can't seem to get in and out of a gas station in less than 10-15 minutes. My record crowd was on visit #1..8 people admiring the car..today ..I felt rejected ..only 6!:wink

Get use to it, Stewart. That'll ALSO happen when you go to the bank ... when you're at a restaurant ... when you're waiting for your wife at the mall - in fact, that happens ANYTIME the GT's wheels are stationary. You'll ALSO find you have a "mobile" fan club whenever you're just trying to drive down the road as well.

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Where are you in Florida? I ask, as I'm in the Boca Grande/Englewood area of S.W Florida and have my '05 black, no stripes Gt40 here. Will buy you a beer as we compare funny noises.
I have a collection of TVR's that I campaign...talk about funny noises...all the way from a 5.0 ltr convertible, a 385hp HI-PO Tuscan, a Vixen Super Sport and a Taimar 3.0 ltr.
Paul Eddy
mobile#: 781-608-2840

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
Welcome!

I have a black/no stripe '05 as well. You chose wisely.

Enjoy your baby and take good care of her.

Jess

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Where are you in Florida? ...

If I recall correctly Stewart is in Delray Beach over on the East Coast.

Stewart- Drop me a PM maybe we can meet this weekend sometime. I can't be more than five miles from you, up the beach in Gulf Stream.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Although there have been episodes of young ladies being interested in the car posted on this forum, unfortunately in my experience, it most greatly excites teenage males...

great....since I have all daughters, just one more thing to worry about....:frown

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Thanks for that tidbit.I have two girls also..
14 & 16...
of course I also have two large dogs that are part of the greeting "boy" comittee:biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Stewart, many of these cars demonstrate neutral gear rollover, which sounds like some of the sounds you describe. Next, look under the seats for loose things that roll around, or, you may have the "ratttlesnake" noise, a fuel line vibration. Do a search to see the old posts on these subjects. As far as your fan goes, make sure the recirculate button on the center console just under the A/C button is on/off. The light for these things is very small and hard to see.

Aug 25, 2006
By the way, I am a past Lotus owner so I have a high threshold for wierd noises and sometime erratic car behavior..
-How loud should I expect the a/c fan to be? I think this sounds like alot more cold air should be delivered with the robust fan sound I am experiencing..
-I expect some shifter cable whine and periodic vibration..no problem.But today, I think I heard a loose "something" rattling around on takeoff and sharp corners..If it were a Lotus, I would expect to find loose change.(gift of assembly at Hethel)..This sounded more like a loose bolt or screw rolling about in the console area.Any thoughts?
-Vibration from rear end..not exhaust pipes,not diffuser,not license frame,not plate..maybe exhaust cans ?
At any rate.. I love this damn car and look forward to driving as often as possible. Oh yeah, one major problem...I can't seem to get in and out of a gas station in less than 10-15 minutes. My record crowd was on visit #1..8 people admiring the car..today ..I felt rejected ..only 6!:wink

Very nice; enjoy your newest family member

As for your questions;

1. The buzzing within the console is common and can often times be corrected by simply removing one of the zip ties securing the throttle cable to the harness assembly

2. The A/C makes a fair amount of noise but the best test of this sadly; will be to listen to another to compare

3. I have found loose hardware aka a clip within the console; if you remove the center console to cut the zip tie you have full access

4. The vibration at the rear; without riding in her it is impossible to tell however I worked with The GT Guys on Syco's gal. It had a vibration that ulttimatly was the diffuser. We made several tweaks and I think that he remains happy. Since that time I have found several others with a similar comment and implimented the same fix.

5. Lastly; I suspect that she is fine just a combination of you getting to know her character and maybe tending to a few quirks; she certainly is no Lotus.

All the best

Shadowman

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Very nice; enjoy your newest family member

As for your questions;

1. The buzzing within the console is common and can often times be corrected by simply removing one of the zip ties securing the throttle cable to the harness assembly

2. The A/C makes a fair amount of noise but the best test of this sadly; will be to listen to another to compare

3. I have found loose hardware aka a clip within the console; if you remove the center console to cut the zip tie you have full access

4. The vibration at the rear; without riding in her it is impossible to tell however I worked with The GT Guys on Syco's gal. It had a vibration that ulttimatly was the diffuser. We made several tweaks and I think that he remains happy. Since that time I have found several others with a similar comment and implimented the same fix.

5. Lastly; I suspect that she is fine just a combination of you getting to know her character and maybe tending to a few quirks; she certainly is no Lotus.

All the best

Shadowman
Thanks for taking the time to respond..your insight is appreciated.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Stewart,
If you need to make some GT comparisons I'm not that far away... Welcome to the club !!!

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston

AC should be excellent in the car....are you sure it is not blowing out bottom ande or bottom and dash vents? When you turn it to just dash, it blows extremely well...