What on earth is wrong with people?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Well, my company is getting backlogged on shipping products out. So, I ordered up some temps to get us caught up.
I had one guy that showed up, and starts complaining his back and legs hurt. He moves like 2 miles an hour. He wears his sunglasses indoors, while he is working, and has the most weird comments.
Then today, I had one guy show up, and he tells everyone he is going to the restroom, and then nobody sees him again! He Bolted! :willy
To top it all off, we have to go through a crash course with everyone that comes in, and they never send the same people twice! We have to train everyone, everyday! :ack
Don't people want to work anymore? :confused

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This is why when people say "unemployment is high" or "it's deceptive because it doesn't count discouraged workers" I tell them "you mean the I'm too good for this job rate is high". Gen X and Y have a nasty habit of being too good to do dirty work, but I'm pretty sure a dollar is worth the same amount, regardless of who cuts the check...

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I think that this is an example of why the people from south of the border have been received so well.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
The worst thing is that we pay much higher than the rest of our industry, and the job is very easy. We have a very laid back atmosphere, and usually my staff is laughing the whole day. I guess I am expecting too much from a temp agency.
I guess I should expect that when they once sent me a worker that had just shiet himself and stunk to high heaven. We immediately called them and said he was not going to work out. :lol

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
californiacuda said:
I think that this is an example of why the people from south of the border have been received so well.

Oh, they are not exempt. Half the people they send me barely speak english. The one that vanished today was one of them. :frown
For all I know, he stuffed his pockets with stuff and left.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's because they smoked as babies and subsequently developed improperly...:biggrin

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
My wife keeps saying that, but I don't believe her. :lol

jimfro

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2006
Sebring, Florida
help wanted

If you are in business today the single most detriment to your continued sucess s finding anyone under 35 with a true work ethic. My best employees are simply the oldest ones, they grew up when personal responsibility mattered and don't think the company or the governemt owes then anything, what the young ones today call "bipolar disorder" they called the challenges of living and making your own way. Every Monday morning before I get to the office I already know who is either not gonna show or be late. If there over 50 and not there they are in the hospital or dead.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
hey mark

one thought comes to mind

how can you soar like an eagle when your surrounded by turkeys.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
As a teenager I see this constantly. I started working at 15, and I've had two jobs, about to turn 19 now with 0 days unemployeed. I'd say 80% or more of my peers have had AT LEAST 5 jobs. :thumbsdow

People not carrying their load was the number one thing that ticked me off. 99% of the time where I used to work there wasn't enough to keep us busy, but people STILL complained for 6 hours then worked for two and said they didn't have enough time.

The other thing that bothered/amused me was when people leave without notice to "show the boss who's in control". ROFL. I certainly had a few things I didn't like about my first job, but if I couldn't solve them while employeed, I sure can't solve them getting my panties in a wad and being a moron about quitting.

I've turned in my resignation for my current job 4 months in advance (moving for college) and gave a month at the last one. Both have already wrote me recommendation letters and have volunteered to help me in any way they can get a job in Orlando. Had I not given notice, I'd have 0 recommendation letters, which is why I find it hilarious that people quit without notice.

Do those of you that hire people find it funny when they quit without notice to "show you"?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I employ quite a few people and it can often be a nightmare - particularly with strict maternity laws, sex discrimination etc etc. I'm not talking about the correct prosecution of any case where inappropriate behaviour might occur (never has in my company) but legal action where someone was not 'cc'd' on a memo and said 'I would have been copied had I been a man' etc or 'you fired me because I am gay' etc.

The laws would almost suggest that my company is not entitled to make a profit!

On the whole, we're pretty lucky - I take on a lot of young graduates (22/23 years old) and they have a great attitude...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
We try to promote family business, job security and have regular 'controled' family events. We promise all our employees that we have summer work, and school break work for their kids. In every branch we have at least one example of three generations working. We have never laid off anyone, we have a waiting list of potential employees. Openly state that we give Veterans preference. We have high expectations and standards that are exceeded. Using our employees extended famalies as a hiring pool has worked for us. Peer pressure works, we have great safety, attendance and yes, NO internal theft issues. GOD BLESS AMERICA,

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Mark,

Really, I was going to come back after the restroom break. I found this really cool key that said "Ford GT" on it. As soon as I spot that new Mustang in your parking lot, it's mine baby!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
bony said:
We try to promote family business, job security and have regular 'controled' family events. We promise all our employees that we have summer work, and school break work for their kids. In every branch we have at least one example of three generations working. We have never laid off anyone, we have a waiting list of potential employees. Openly state that we give Veterans preference. We have high expectations and standards that are exceeded. Using our employees extended famalies as a hiring pool has worked for us. Peer pressure works, we have great safety, attendance and yes, NO internal theft issues. GOD BLESS AMERICA,

Bony, that sounds like the charter of the Salvation Army...

all kidding aside - thats great. Keep it up..... :cheers

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Common ground.

The only thing the average GT owner has in common with a lot of today's workers is that they are both carbon based. :bored

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I have held exactly 2 jobs in my life. One was part time during high school at Souplantion. The other was my former employer of 7 years. I never showed up late, and rarely called in sick. I would show up in no condition to work.

Unfortunately for them, I am now there competitor and they hate me. :wink

My point is that todays youth has a HUGE chip on their shoulder, and wants everything given to them.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ROCMAN said:
I have held exactly 2 jobs in my life. One was part time during high school at Souplantion. The other was my former employer of 7 years. I never showed up late, and rarely called in sick. I would show up in no condition to work.

Unfortunately for them, I am now there competitor and they hate me. :wink

My point is that todays youth has a HUGE chip on their shoulder, and wants everything given to them.

...dare we ask what your industry is? ,,,, I am a beverage alcohol distributor and agent for wine coops.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Bony,
I'm in the retail furniture industry. You ever need a hook up, let me know. :biggrin I specialize in higher end Craftsman furniture.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Damn Bony, you sure are racking up them posts! :wink :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ROCMAN said:
Bony,
I'm in the retail furniture industry. You ever need a hook up, let me know. :biggrin I specialize in higher end Craftsman furniture.

Our secret is we have been around, have a good industry reputation, promise a long term future, hire from within and are in a growth industry. and live by the 4 way test of Rotary.