What modern car would you trade your GT for?

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
The only realistic car would be the Carrera GT. Of course, Enzo, Veyron, etc.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
AlohaGT,

I will PMl you in February when the dates get closer. Some appetizers and Hula Dancing at the Halekulani are always a great way to meet.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Halekulani's recently made some modest improvements which has come out well, AtomicGT. In the event I don't respond quickly to the PM (meaning life has got in the way with Forum visits), please send me an email as I have my BB with me 24/7.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
AlohaGT, I will nbeed unrestricted use of the Heritage while I am in Hono! :biggrin

We should meet for coctails and Hula at the House Without a Key when I am there.

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD
There was a time when I would've happily traded it for an original 1960s GT40 Mark I, until I sat in one. Evidently, the 1966 Ford GT40 was not built for Chip Beck's 2007 butt. :bored The Ford Motor Company built the new GT 20% larger than the original because people who could afford one struggle with the primary curse of affluence. "It's tough to diet when you're rich". :bored

Chip

Chip, the original GT40s were built for guys like Ken Miles, Mario Andretti, Phil Hill, and Bruce McLaren. All were 5'7" or a bit taller and probably weighed 150 pounds if that. Dan Gurney at 6'2" was a giant in comparison. He not only needed the famous "Gurney Bubble" in the top of the driver's door to squeeze into the car, but also had the floor under the driver's seat lowered in the Mk IV (#J5) that he drove at 1967 Le Mans.

But even if you could fit into an original 40, driving one is an exercise in masochism. Here is what a racer back in the day said:

"Driving it (GT40) on the road was something else. It was like lying in bed, connected up to a sauna, being blasted by sound from every quarter and gassed at the same time. You needed a periscope, wet suit, earplugs and gasmask to handle it properly."

Not exactly the ticket for a relaxing Sunday drive. I can tell you that, while being inside an original GT40 is extremely exciting, it is also extremely debilitating from the huge amounts of noise, heat, and road shock through the solid suspension. How drivers managed to run these cars at flat out racing speeds for hours at a time (Peter Sutcliffe and Dieter Spoerry drove double shifts in my GT40 at 1966 Le Mans) is totally beyond me.

I do think I have the problem of fitting in my GT40 solved. This would help the interior heat problem too. Wouldn't do in the rain, though. :lol

Attachments

• Me-5.Nov07.web2.jpg
    Me-5.Nov07.web2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 168

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
AlohaGT, I will nbeed unrestricted use of the Heritage while I am in Hono! :biggrin

We should meet for coctails and Hula at the House Without a Key when I am there.

The Heritage will be parked at the porte cochere awaiting your arrival and the key will be with Janis, the GM.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
perfectomundo! We should have an enjoyable time, under the Keawe Tree, watching Keanaohe Miller perform the Hula and enjoying the Waikiki Sunset.

I will contact you a week or two in advance. Put on Feb 8 on your calander.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've had a good hard think and I can't honestly say there's any car that I would trade. Sure there's the financial trade to get another GT or two, but wave goodbye to my GT and see something else parked in it's place?

Under torture I'd accept a 250SWB, but nothing modern really grabs me. Veyron? Not too much pleasure driving it - it's too accomplished and big. I can see the Carrera GT, but I'm not a Porsche person... nope, nothing I want in its place. The lines are too good and the performance suits me perfectly.

Long live the GT!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
The only cars I can remotely preceive trading for are the (very few) cars I consider in the same realm of beauty and history. They are:

Ferrari GTO (only made 39)
Ferrari 250 SWB
Ferrari 275 GTB (preferably aluminum)
Ferrari Daytona
Ferrari F40 (not beautiful in the classic sense of the word, but I love what that car represents)
McLaren F1

The Carrera GT is close to making the list...but not quite.

HOWEVER, all that said, NONE of these cars combine performance and real-world drive-ability as well as the GT, so while I'd love to own any of them, I couldn't let the GT go to get one. The total package it offers is just too compelling (and unique) to let get away. :thumbsup (and let's not even get into the maintenance cost of keeping any of those others running...)

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
NONE

the only other cars I lust for are:

Enzo
Mclaren F1 LM
Porsche CGT

But if I can afford those, then that means I can also afford to keep the GT. So I wouldn't trade it for anything. I LOVE THIS CAR, I can only hope I die owning it and enjoy it to the end. This my dream car:banana.

Mg

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Why?

Why would anyone want to trade that which meets all a car guy desires?

We work and save and examine and read and find & buy the FGT

What we get is an Icon with a reputation and best of all it surpases all expectations by even the most critcal so called experts.

1. Its sexy
  2. Its servicable
  3. Its reliable
  4. Its rich with history
  5. Its blazing fast
  6. It handles with attitude
  7. It has creature comforts
  8. It feels great to touch and sit in
  9. It rides nice slow or fast
  10. Its easy to drive and makes normal men look like a pro
  11. Its quality through out
  12. It mechanically balanced
  13. Its tough with muscle
  14. Its full of exotic designs and materials
  15. Its safe (ask Fubar)
  16. It makes young men dream
  17. It makes women wink at you
  18. It makes grown men cry
  19. It makes friends of people you never knew B4
  20. Its Designed & built by the best of the best.

And finally:
Its so good you need to post and ask everyone you can from around the world to rack their brains for what could be worth trading.

Trade stocks not dreams that come true:thumbsup

Tom B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 1, 2005
Fallston, MD
1) 997 GT3 RS
2) Pagani Zonda
3) Mercedes CLK-LM

Here's the GT and the GT3 RS together:

Attachments

• gtgt3rs-057.jpg
    gtgt3rs-057.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 109

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Here's the GT and the GT3 RS together:

Very nice - both great cars!

As to the original question for this thread - I traded my GT for another car, the Mosler. I can't afford both - had to stretch to get into either one. It was not that the GT was lacking anything - I really liked it (enough to bust my tail doing all those mods). I typically always get a car and say it will be THE keeper, and in the end I always trade for something different. In a way I have spent the last 30 years trading up - sometimes I lose money on a car, sometimes I make a bit, but I always put it back into the next one along with some debt, so I can slowly upgrade over time. The Mosler appealed because of its singular focus - almost a race car, very light, made for a road course. I have not had it on a track yet, but I hope to take it to a driving school in 2008. I can't afford a collection of high dollar cars, but have been fortunate to be able to briefly own quite a few cars and enjoy them, the GT included.
:cheers

Tom B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 1, 2005
Fallston, MD
Very nice - both great cars!

As to the original question for this thread - I traded my GT for another car, the Mosler. I can't afford both - had to stretch to get into either one. It was not that the GT was lacking anything - I really liked it (enough to bust my tail doing all those mods). I typically always get a car and say it will be THE keeper, and in the end I always trade for something different. In a way I have spent the last 30 years trading up - sometimes I lose money on a car, sometimes I make a bit, but I always put it back into the next one along with some debt, so I can slowly upgrade over time. The Mosler appealed because of its singular focus - almost a race car, very light, made for a road course. I have not had it on a track yet, but I hope to take it to a driving school in 2008. I can't afford a collection of high dollar cars, but have been fortunate to be able to briefly own quite a few cars and enjoy them, the GT included.
:cheers

Do have pictures of the Mosler? I would love to see them.

Tom

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Do have pictures of the Mosler? I would love to see them.

Tom

Well, since it is a thread about "other" cars;

14vsra0.jpg

x3vbxh.jpg

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Tell us about the Mosler!!

I know so little about this car - it looks fabulous. That side view is sex!

More info please.. :biggrin

Engine bay shot? Interior shot? Driving impressions? Comparison with the GT?

Thanks

Neil

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ev... nice pussy! :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
everetto:

My daughter lives in ARIDzona ...how did her kitty cat get to your place???

Your(?) kitty is almost a dead ringer for her's!!! ( I did a double take on that!):lol

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

Thanks

Neil

Neil,

I think you'll enjoy ogling over both of these gals.

http://www.moslerauto.com/makes_models.pdf

Kelvin

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest

Thanks

Neil

Long post, I apologize in advance...
Guys, this car is so different than anything I have ever owned that it took a while to start to get to know her. Some people who don't know about them almost consider them kit cars, which they are not. They are hand-built limited production exotic/supercars. It does utilize a Corvette LS6 engine (the C5 Z06 motor) which I believe is why folks think of them as kit cars (the LS6 is a reliable, proven compact engine that works perfectly for this application). The transaxle is a quality Porsche/Getrag GT3 box with some gears from the GT2 box to fine tune the ratios. Years ago, early prototype cars did make use of some Corvette suspension components which probably fostered the early "kit" car impressions, however current production cars use all custom suspension components either built by Mosler or chosen for their quality and fit for the application (i.e., the coilover units). The suspension is much more race car than street car, and there is not a single rubber bushing to be found. Everything is solid Heim joints, and there are beefy hollow tube solid-mounted fully adjustable sway bars. The shocks are adjustable racing shocks (Advanced Racing).

The car is entirely made of carbon fiber and Kevlar (body panels, dash, pretty much everything), and the monocoque is aluminum honeycomb with carbon and Kevlar. It weighs 2450 lbs, so the power to weight ratio is pretty good. The LS6 is rated at a conservative 435 HP in this application due to cold air intake (scoop in roof), free flowing exhaust, and no power steering pump. Steering is direct rack/pinon. The pics may not show it very well, but the fit and finish is quite good. The interior is all carbon fiber, topped off with custom Alcantara.

As far as driving impressions go - every time I get in the car I have to change my frame of reference. This car requires one to "grab hold and DRIVE". Steering, braking, and shifting all require considerable effort compared to our GTs or any of my prior Corvettes (again, no PS or PB), and for me it was not until I started muscling the car around that it felt "right". The car jumps ahead with the slightest touch of the throttle (light weight and very sensitive throttle due to the fly by wire setup and how they have tuned the sensitivity) and it revs so quickly that I hit 7000 in 2nd gear recently before I even realized what was happening. Obviously it does not make as much HP as the GT or a C6 Z06, but I think in straight line acceleration it should equal both stock cars due to the power to weight ratio (subjectively it feels as quick as my C6 Z did).

The real forte of this car will be the braking and handling, which of course I have not come to close to being able to explore on the street. Mosler claims it will be many seconds quicker around a road course than any production street car. I hope to get a glimpse of her capabilities if I get to enroll her in a driving course this coming year. The car is built around a platfrom made for the track - large Wilwood racing brakes, solid adjustable suspension, custom close gear ratios, Tilton racing pedals, cockpit adjustable brake bias, and the light weight should allow the car to do lots of laps without losing braking capability etc. Hopefully someday I will start to learn about the performance envelope of the car.

Sorry for the long post, here are a few pic, and thanks for the compliments.

6wymbed.jpg

7wrlelz.jpg

6sr19wi.jpg