What is that thing?

RMaximillian

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2009
Well - I got my Ford GT (2006 - #0019) about a month ago. I live in NY and I have to tell you, I drive it every chance I get. Its an incredible, incredible machine. I have two questions about it that I was hoping some of you may have answers to.

1) What is that thing right above the rearview mirror? It's a little plastic thing at the end of a wire that runs from the passenger side to the middle of the windshield (looks like a radio antenna?)

2) Once in a while, especially on turns, I hear a whining noise coming from the rear. Car runs great, but not sure that noise is normal.

3) Does anyone use the 3M clear bra on their cars? Does it work well? I would like to prevent future stone chips (since there is plenty of debris on the ground right now).

Any answers would be helpful!

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Welcome to the Forum.

In answer to your third question, I would highly recommend a clear bra. I track my car occasionally and find I do not have to spend time putting blue painters tape all over the car.

I would recommend covering the roof and as much of the exposed areas as possible. At the Rally someone reached across my GT(might have been me) and there was a strong scratch on the roof. It looked horrible. When I got home the clear bra was replaced and there was no scratch in the paint. Looks brand new. At the Texas mile I have some dings in the lower clear bra, that after a couple of high speed driving events I will just have it replaced.

Anyway my point is, do it.

Kevin

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well - I got my Ford GT (2006 - #0019) about a month ago. I live in NY and I have to tell you, I drive it every chance I get. Its an incredible, incredible machine. I have two questions about it that I was hoping some of you may have answers to.

1) What is that thing right above the rearview mirror? It's a little plastic thing at the end of a wire that runs from the passenger side to the middle of the windshield (looks like a radio antenna?)

2) Once in a while, especially on turns, I hear a whining noise coming from the rear. Car runs great, but not sure that noise is normal.

3) Does anyone use the 3M clear bra on their cars? Does it work well? I would like to prevent future stone chips (since there is plenty of debris on the ground right now).

Pleeeeeeeeeeze remember that the tires on your GT DO NOT GRIP WELL in temps below 60*F!!! The lower the temp, the less grip there is. Drive it like it's a Prius during cold weather! :biggrin :cheers

"CONGRATS" ON YOUR PURCHASE! :thumbsup:thumbsup

(1) Others will hafta chime in. I don't recall seeing it!
(2) a couple (JUST a couple) members have had a wheel bearing die.
(3) 'been answered

BTW...have you hit your head on the driver's door yet..........?:lol

RMaximillian

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2009
I have hit my head on the roof - but only once (the first time I got out of it). I know about the grip issue in cold weather, and have been careful in first and second gears.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have hit my head on the roof - but only once (the first time I got out of it). I know about the grip issue in cold weather, and have been careful in first and second gears.

:thumbsup :wink

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

I'll second that.:thumbsup

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.

That is the wires for the two lights on your mirror.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I sounds like there is something aftermarket installed on your car. The Mirror wires dont look like what you described. Does it have an aftermarket alarm by chance?

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.

RMaxmillian

1) The wire in the windshield is the worthless am antenna. (poor am reception on the macintosh)

2) Could be differential noise?

3) get a clear bra done and replaced when needed.

Welcome and enjoy your new gal :driving:club:usa Drive it and enjoy it.

You may want to order the service manuals and wiring diagrams from ford 1(800)782-4356 or write to Ford Publishing, care of Helm Inc., P.O. Box 07150, Detroit, Mi. 48207 www.helminc.com They are availible in print or on CD.:thumbsup

Last edited:

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
As far as the clear bra goes my recomendation would be to get it.The place to get it done in NY is herehttp://www.detailingdynamics.com/.I have had them do 7 or 8 cars for me and their work is top notch.....you will not be disappointed!Matt or Eddie is who you speak to.My entire nose on my Gt is fully covered as is the leading edge of the roof,rockers,parts of the clamshell,inner door sills, and just about any other part that can be scratched from normal use.Joe

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 284
  • New Image5.JPG
    New Image5.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 283
  • New Image3.JPG
    New Image3.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 284
  • New Image2.JPG
    New Image2.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 295

RMaximillian

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2009
JOETWINT,

Thanks for the great advice - I will call them today. Also, great pics of your black/striped Ford GT!

FLYGT40 - Thanks for figuring out what that pesky wire was! I will order the service manuals as well.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
RMax,

post a picture of your wires near the rear view mirror. Do you have a radar detector installed?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Congrats on your purchase and finding our Forum.

It contains a wealth of FGT specific information and very knowlegable technical staff. The search feature of the Forum is also helpful to look up topics which have been previously discussed and you might find useful.

Welcome to our club. We are glad to have you!!!

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Congrats on the purchase of your GT. It will bring much enjoyment to your life.

I would absolutely clear bra the entire front end - and potentially more. As others have indicated.

I have a 2006 Tungsten with 20k miles on it and other than a small area, directly in front of the radiator (which is not clear bra'd) the car's paint is in spectacular condition.

I bought a 2005 Black, no stripe about 4 months ago and had the entire front end covered, the lower rocker panels and quarter panels behind the rear wheels.

Enjoy it...Drive it!

RMaximillian

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2009
Well, I handed the car over to Detailed Dynamics (thanks Joe) for clear bra ad full detail, etc... I don't have a radar detector installed, but am having one done. I will take a picture of the wire when I get the car back (hopefully by the end of the week). It turns out clear is a lot of money! I'm doing the entire front end, the scoop/fins, rocker panels, rear view mirrors, and the front of the roof.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, I handed the car over to Detailed Dynamics (thanks Joe) for clear bra ad full detail, etc... I don't have a radar detector installed, but am having one done. I will take a picture of the wire when I get the car back (hopefully by the end of the week). It turns out clear is a lot of money! I'm doing the entire front end, the scoop/fins, rocker panels, rear view mirrors, and the front of the roof.

'Hope you're putting 'film on the windshield as well?

'Beats the heck outta having to replace one. :wink :thumbsup

RMaximillian

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2009
You know, I would've considered it if I thought it wouldn't affect the way the wipers work!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
You know, I would've considered it if I thought it wouldn't affect the way the wipers work!

doesn't affect the wipers at all.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

As Jeff stated, the wipers would work just fine. Many here on The 'Forum have had the stuff applied.

The only drawback(?) to doing it is, if you really pay attention, you may see a very, veeeeeeeeery slight distortion of your vision when looking thru same. Most here didn't even notice it until that possibility was pointed out to them.

In any event, said 'film wards off the chipping/"starring" small stones, etc., can create... just like the 3M does on the fenders. In most cases, it probably WON'T prevent damage if the windshield is struck by LARGE rocks though...especially if they hit at high velocity.

:cheers

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Rmax congrats on the new toy. You will have many great hours and miles of fun. As for the clear bra, there are 2 basic types 3M and venture shield. If your installer has both I would tend to the venture shield. less orange peel effect.
:cheers