What happens when warranty expires?

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
After a year on the road my only problem has been a front turn signal that works only intermittently. So far, excellent reliability. But wait. Dealer service reports that the signal bulb is part of the sealed headlight assembly – the whole thing has to be replaced. “It’s a $1,200 part – good thing you’re on warranty.” True, but what will happen a couple of years from now when we’re all off warranty? Does anyone know whether a new turn signal bulb is actually going to cost $1,200? Are there any other time bombs like this one? Has anyone heard about an extended warranty plan –is there such a thing for this car?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
No extended warranty available.

No idea what the lamp and labor costs. Paid more for one for Mrs Bony's Benz

Aug 25, 2006
After a year on the road my only problem has been a front turn signal that works only intermittently. So far, excellent reliability. But wait. Dealer service reports that the signal bulb is part of the sealed headlight assembly – the whole thing has to be replaced. “It’s a $1,200 part – good thing you’re on warranty.” True, but what will happen a couple of years from now when we’re all off warranty? Does anyone know whether a new turn signal bulb is actually going to cost $1,200? Are there any other time bombs like this one? Has anyone heard about an extended warranty plan –is there such a thing for this car?

Interesting question and comments

As for whether there are other "time bombs" awaiting us once the warranty expires; absolutely however I do not consider them time bombs but rather part of the "price of admission" when electing to own a limited production hand built exotic gal.

Having surrounded myself with a laundry list of cool gals over the years many of which fall into the above mentioned category I see the FGT as one of the least expensive exotic's to own; this being whether in or as will be seen by us all out of warranty

The heart and the associated driveline pieces are great pieces that I expect will remain easy to service for the remainder of my life time and as for the trim pieces such as headlights etc. they began life as an expensive item and will forever be.

If the idea of secondary cost (at times comparatively extreme) concerns you then as is understandably the case with many folks then I suggest that you run her until the warranty is near its end and them allow her to go to a new home. I say this with the highest degree of respect because I have seen far too many gals that are kept after the warranty expires however not kept up as such they quickly deteriorate until finally the ability to resurrect can be overwhelming whereas a pristine gal simply needing a financial backer aka one to tend to her non warranty service concerns are typically easy to find; particularly for a gal as stunning as the FGT

You take care

Shadowman

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI

We replaced Camillo's turn signal bulb last Wednesday under warranty with out having to replace the whole assembly.:confused

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
As you would expect, Shadowman is absolutely correct. Even a Mercedes is very expensive to properly maintain compared with mainstream cars, once it is out of warranty. Part of that is the price of exclusivity. The good news for GT owners is it appears maintenance costs will be more than offset by the future value of the GT. Unlike a twin turbo SL Mercedes (600/65) which will depreciate $50,000 or more in the first 2 years, the 2 year old GT's are typically selling at or more than their original msrp. In this comparison, or a comparison with a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, and Porsche Exotics, the cost of ownership of the Ford GT looks to be much lower than all of the above, and like the car itself, in a class of its own for potentially being the best exotic investment of the new millennium.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I married my wife 20+ years ago, BRAND NEW! Didnt expect 20 years later, new teeth, couple of operations,carple tunnel, glasses, ass doctor, back doctor,MOTHER IN LAW:biggrin , 5 mini vans, 3 wrecked through menopause, AT 5,000 THE TURNING SIGNAL IS A STEALLLLLLLLL BABY!!!!!!!!! AND LIKE JAY LENO SAYS , " ID RATHER HAVE 3OO CARS AND 1 WIFE INSTEAD OF THE OTHER WAY AROUND :biggrin gtjoey 1314 and still loving it:thumbsup

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
FYI

Just looked at a headlamp assembly out of the car.

Turn signal bulb and headlight bulb are replaceable.

What is not replaceable (so far) is the clear cover. It is part of the unit.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Bulbs aren't covered under an extended service plan anyway. They're considered wear items, like tires.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
I married my wife 20+ years ago, BRAND NEW! Didnt expect 20 years later, new teeth, couple of operations,carple tunnel, glasses, ass doctor, back doctor,MOTHER IN LAW:biggrin , 5 mini vans, 3 wrecked through menopause, AT 5,000 THE TURNING SIGNAL IS A STEALLLLLLLLL BABY!!!!!!!!! AND LIKE JAY LENO SAYS , " ID RATHER HAVE 3OO CARS AND 1 WIFE INSTEAD OF THE OTHER WAY AROUND :biggrin gtjoey 1314 and still loving it:thumbsup

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Jay Leno ever checks in on this forum? No real reason for asking other than celebrity worship!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
YES.:thumbsup GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
It would be nice if Mr. Leno could join us at the Petersen Museum after his taping in Burbank and visit with special guests. Tomy Hamon

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006

I maintained a Ferrari for 27 years, and it sounds like I had it easy compared to you. Looking at what you put up with, there is hope for all of us.