What happens if you fail to prime after oil change?

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
I had my oil changed today but don't believe the tech did this procedure. Is my motor toast or what?

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Rong

With a Dry Sump System, you will have oil to the oil pump ALL the time; SO, primimg the oil pump is just a PLUS !!

AMB

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
With a Dry Sump System, you will have oil to the oil pump ALL the time; SO, primimg the oil pump is just a PLUS !!

This wasn't my experience. Following the factory recommendation for priming (crank for 20 seconds with no ignition), there was NO oil pressure for at least the first 10-15 seconds.

That said, Rong, I doubt if anything has really been hurt. If you think about, the starter motor spins the motor too during the priming procedure. The only thing I don't like about normal starting is that initial rpm surge. At least that is avoided (with no oil pressure) with the priming method.

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
That having been said . . .

nota4re said:
This wasn't my experience. Following the factory recommendation for priming (crank for 20 seconds with no ignition), there was NO oil pressure for at least the first 10-15 seconds.

That said, Rong, I doubt if anything has really been hurt. If you think about, the starter motor spins the motor too during the priming procedure. The only thing I don't like about normal starting is that initial rpm surge. At least that is avoided (with no oil pressure) with the priming method.

I've wondered about that initial RPM SURGE on initial start. Why does it do that & for what reason??

Also: Would it be a good idea to do the priming before *every* start, or at least prior to starting the car if it hasn't been started for a week or more??

----Rick

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
How do you crank for 20 seconds without ignition? Picking up a new car friday but it's been sitting for a long time. Wondering if the dealer fired it up once in a while without priming it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Pros of priming before every start:

Less engine wear on parts that need an oil film such as crank and rom bearings, wrist pins, pistion rings, valve guides, etc.

Cons:

Bad for battery and starter life.

BlackICE

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Also: Would it be a good idea to do the priming before *every* start, or at least prior to starting the car if it hasn't been started for a week or more??

Presumably, you will only lose the prime of the oil pump by following the oil/filter change procedure. Therefore, there would be no advantage to doing this at every start. Easy enough to verify, however. After the car sits for a day or two, try the priming method while watching the oil pressure gauge. I suspect that you will see oil pressure immediately which would indicate that the priming step was unnecessary.

How do you crank for 20 seconds without ignition?
Hold the accelerator pedal to the floor before you start cranking - and keep it there. The car will not fire.

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks guys!!

Whew!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Rong, was that you on I-5?

Rong said:
Rong,

Was that you going northbound I-5 late tonight (Monday, 7-3, about 10:30 PM)? I was in my Honda Insight hybrid car and I think you were taking Mission Ave off ramp.

I am designing a pre-oiler which I think all cars need. I also don't like the initial high-rev up on a cold start. I did my first oil change about ten weeks ago and it's a bit involved.

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
nota4re

If you fill the oil filter, you will have oil pressure, with-in 1 or 2 seconds; most people DON'T !!!

AMB

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

If you fill the oil filter, you will have oil pressure, with-in 1 or 2 seconds; most people DON'T !!!

Sorry AMB, I know you probably mean well but your last two posts in this thread are just completely off the mark.

To your first point, we have already established that the GT loses its prime after an oil change. This is the reason that the oil priming method is in the service procedure.

To your second point, while true in general, it has no applicability to the GT. The GT employs a catridge type of filter. Any oil poured into the filter assembly immediately drains out the bottom. In essence, it is impossible to "fill the oil filter" on a GT.

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Not I

Must have been another handsome GT owner, I was a couch potato at that time so if you felt a small earthquake it might have been me just sawing logs.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Rong said:
Must have been another handsome GT owner, I was a couch potato at that time so if you felt a small earthquake it might have been me just sawing logs.
Rong,

I thought that perhaps you testing out your oil change!

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
nota4re

Have you tried to fill the oil filter ?? How fast does it drain ?? All my experience has been with Race Cars with Canister Type Oil Filter !!!

AMB

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Have you tried to fill the oil filter ?? How fast does it drain ?? All my experience has been with Race Cars with Canister Type Oil Filter !!!

AMB,

The FIRST step in the oil change procedure for the GT is to change the filter. The reason is that the GT will retain the oil in the filter housing until the top is loosened. This will allow the old oil to drain down into the "pan". Ford advises to install the new filter and screw the top of the housing back down.

Regarding your question, I suppose you could replace the filter cartridge last. But, there's no way you could get the top threaded down to the o-ring seal before the oil would be out the bottom. (The threads will start by hand but quickly require a rubber strap wrench to make several turns before contact with the o-ring.)