What Exhause ?

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
I'm confused, i have read almost all the treads regarding an Exhaust change.

I really want to get the best possible note out the back of my GT, could someone, who has been through the process of purchase or experience tell which system is favoured??

Living in the UK, we are limited on any access to go see some examples (non-exist here), so really need to rely on others, help please

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I really want to get the best possible note out the back of my GT, could someone, who has been through the process of purchase or experience tell which system is favoured??

Living in the UK, we are limited on any access to go see some examples (non-exist here), so really need to rely on others, help please

There are numerous posts/threads here on the Forum dealing with exactly that issue, but, rather than say "use the site's search engine", let me suggest that the generally accepted bottom line is: there's not really too much difference in the sound regardless of the cat back system. The complete FFRP system (not street legal) is hands down the loudest. 'Way TOO loud in the view of most.

If I remember correctly, the Accufab unit is the lowest priced. But, you really can't make a "wrong choice" regardless of which cat back manufacturer you pick.

"The best possible note" varies with each person anyway. So, the only way for you to know exactly what that is for you is to somehow arrange a "side by side" with cars having each system ...and, as you pointed out, that's pretty much not possible where you are.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I thought we all agreed that the Ford Racing (Borla) was that best? It says Ford on it. :lol

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Exhaust sound clips

Have you tried watching the sound comparison done at last year's rally? Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCvbsHAHDc

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The Heffner system comes with baffles if you want to use them.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
The complete FFRP system (not street legal) is hands down the loudest. 'Way TOO loud in the view of most.

I have heard the straight system, and IMO aside from loud, it DID NOT sound good. Don't get me wrong - loud is good and "good loud" is even better (had a car where you had to stick your head in the window to talk to someone in the car - and that was with the mufflers on :rofl ). The system, from the outside, had a bad tone to it. In technical terms, rather than VROOOM, it went BLAAAT. May be better from the inside.

I just put the Accufab on mine. Overall very nice sound, but I need to hear it from the outside (just haven't done it yet). The sound is louder and lower (which is good), but not "pure". I hear other stuff. I do like the way it pops when you back off the gas - was good with the stock muffler, better with the Accufab.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I do like the way it pops when you back off the gas - was good with the stock muffler, better with the Accufab.

The next time you are going under a bridge or thru a tunnel at nite, try backing off it. You'll feel like your on the red carpet for Oscar night. FLASH FLASH FLASH. It's great!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I agree with what has been already posted but would like to clarify one item. All cat back pipes are very similar in design, weight, quality, sound and more or less price except the Ford/Borla option. This unit is not a pipe per se but a lighter and smaller muffler. I bought one of these first and then sold it for a MMP pipe. I'm very happy with the fit finnish and sound of the pipe and the new owner of the Borla likes his Ford/Borla muffler. I thought the Borla didn't go far enough and the owner of the Borla thinks that pipes go too far.:cool
It's is truly all about personal opinion of what sounds best.
IMHO
1. Stock = The Government likes it.:rofl
2. Borla= The Governmnent and wife didn't even notice :confused
3. Ida
Accufab
MMP = >All very nice and simular in quality, fit, finnish, sound etc.:thumbsup
Stillen
Heffner
4. Ford racing headder system=:eek

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I'm using the full stainless works system. Probably too loud for most. Drew a large crowd at Fudruckers, they seemed to appreciate the effort. I'm going to try vortex cones to bring the 2000 rpm droan down a bit. If you use the car once or twice a week for 20 mile trips, not much of a problem.

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Cheers guys very helpful

sawb

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
I thought we all agreed that the Ford Racing (Borla) was that best? It says Ford on it. :lol

does it have deep rumble?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It sounds much more guttural than the stock exhaust. But all terms are subjective. You just have to hear it for yourself.

I bought the Ford Racing exhaust because I wanted to be a little louder and because it says Ford on the top of it.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
I have the Ford Racing exhaust and Ford Racing headers. When you hammer the throttle, it is very loud, and sounds great. But, one awesome feature of this exhaust is that at highway cruising rpm's, the sound is barely louder than stock. There is no droning at cruising rpm, which is inherent in many aftermarket exhaust systems. I have found that Tubi is notorious for the droning sound, having experienced it previously on my Murcielago and 360 Spider. All in all, I am very happy with the Ford Racing exhaust & header combo.

I am also impressed withe designs of the newer products like Accufab, Heffner, and Stainless Works. I am not sure about the presence of any droning on those products, so that is something to look into when comparing the different systems.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I'm going to try vortex cones to bring the 2000 rpm droan down a bit.

What are those?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
stainless cone shaped inserts. Usually placed as close to header outlet as possible. Doesn't cause a restriction but does cut down drone. Helped with my Bellanger headers and exhaust.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
STEVEA / CLAX :
Anything else done to your GTs ? (pulley, tune, etc...)
I might go with the Ford Racing Exhaust & Header combo myself this summer.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
What are those?

Are you getting drone from the Accufab, I had none, everything tight?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm using the full stainless works system. Probably too loud for most. Drew a large crowd at Fudruckers, they seemed to appreciate the effort. I'm going to try vortex cones to bring the 2000 rpm droan down a bit. If you use the car once or twice a week for 20 mile trips, not much of a problem.

I am running the same with mini cats, no drone, but does bark like dog who sees the mailman.:thumbsup

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
STEVEA / CLAX :
Anything else done to your GTs ? (pulley, tune, etc...)
I might go with the Ford Racing Exhaust & Header combo myself this summer.

I'm running a KB snout, 2.78 pulley, Accufab TB, and a MMP pipe and dyno tuned. Also the car is lowered, short shifter, custom shift "grip", bumper delete, trans cooler and the Mac sub has been relocated. All reversible in less than a day.:thumbsup
Waiting on a tire path to take.:confused

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Are you getting drone from the Accufab, I had none, everything tight?

Drone around the 2000 - 2500 area. But I am one that rather likes the drone, so OK. Love the sound when I back off. Probably more due to the still untouched original A/F ratio, but wonderful crackling.

Also like the sound when I am shifting at or before 3000. Nice, loud, DEEP. Really changes after that - in to the higher revs. My wife said it sounds like a NASCAR vehicle.

I still need to be outside and hear it.