What do you guys actually do for living?

Pipelion

Vince,

When did you start your business. I'm wondering the number of years start to retirement?

If you think it wise to post?

Allan

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Canada

Simple-

Leave Canada!!!!

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Anesthesiologist

4 years college, 4 years medical school, 4 years of residency

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
gwbartlett said:
Simple-

Leave Canada!!!!

I can only assume that this was intended to be humorous. I've lived and worked in both the US and Canada, and while there are a number of differences between the countries they both have great people and great opportunities for anyone who wants to work hard. I worked in Canada for most of my career and managed to retire by 50 and now have the pleasure of collecting, restoring and racing vintage cars, traveling and pursuing a number of other interests. I'm glad no one gave me the uninformed advice that in order to be successful I had to leave Canada.

My thoughts on being successful are to find something to work at that you are passionate about, and then work harder at it than you ever thought possible. My experience is that people who are driven only by the desire to be rich are rarely as successful as those who love the work they do.

This is a great forum, it is open, constructive and helpful. I hope we can keep it that way.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
CanuckGT said:
My thoughts on being successful are to find something to work at that you are passionate about, and then work harder at it than you ever thought possible. My experience is that people who are driven only by the desire to be rich are rarely as successful as those who love the work they do.

I would agree with this 100%! I would only add that your aptitude in your chosen field of work is well about average.

BlackICE

Pipelion

Dick,

Leave Canada, who would be up there to talk Canadian, eh.

You guys are our National brothers. We are all civil here on the forum, most of the time. :lol

A few nights ago they played an old movie with Ramond Massey, starring as Abe Lincoln. As I read your post I could hear him saying what you wrote. Just thought you sounded like a statesman.

Allan

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
Thanks for all the replies in this thread , really helped me. Oh yeah and theres no "Rich dad - Poor dad" at my school library. So i guess ill have to buy the book, is it worth buying?

thanks

Last edited:

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Just remember, this is a Ford GT forum-not a political one. And, I can afford one of these cars as I spent 7 years in college, paid for it myself and have worked my tail off for 30 years.

Pipelion

Quote by Mag.

"Thanks for all the replies in this thread , really healped me. Oh yeah and theres no "Rich dad - Poor dad" at my school library. So i guess ill have to buy the book, is it worth buying?"

Yes and yes,

Allan

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Matevarium,

I am a high school grad that never went to college. My friend and I started a business 10 years ago (I am 38) from his garage with 10K. Alot of hard work , dedication and focus later, we reached 200M in sales with 750 employees world wide . We have never had a cent of investment, the original 10K was it. I know it's not the norm but college is not the only answer. You can have college but if you don't have drive you won't make it. I remember banks laughing at our business idea, hell my mom even thought I was crazy quitting a steady 38K per year job. Just don't quit. If a business you start fails, always work on what the next one will be. Good luck :wink

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
Hi!

well thanks again guys! Ive finish reading "Rich Dad - Poor Dad" which was really awsome, made me realize alot of things. Im currently on the 2nd book " Rich dad - The CashFlow Quadrants", I hope it is going to be as good. Well, I think alot of people read this book and don't actually do anything after. They just simply say "OK, yeah great book..." But I was really touched by the book, im currently thinking of starting what is said in the book "don't get passives but get actives instead: investment" But
I really dont know where to start at, im only 17 and dont have alot of capital money to really start get good investments. Do any of you guys knows where to start. Im thinking about ebay business but this can be risky and it does not gives alot profit, as far as I tryed so far. Anyway thanks all!

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
When you decide what you want to do, go to work for someone already doing it. You will find this to be a shortcut to success both from a standpoint of time and money. Let someone else pay you to learn. Once you fully understand the business, you will be able to duplicate it with enhancements which will become obvious to you while you are going through this learning process. Be patient, you do have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run...but you can be running while you are still a teenager. If you are looking at ideas, try to position yourself in front of the baby boomers - those born between 1946 and 1964. The leading edge of the boomers are turning 60 this year. They have lots of money and are good at spending it. Good luck.

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
thanks! I totally forgot about that generation of baby boomers. Ill look into it :p

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Matavarium,
I've got something you might want. See your PM. MJ

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
I got a question for you guys. If I want to start to invest in real estates and have around 10 000$ cash in my bank account. But I am only 18 years old with no credit history. Is it possible to start? or people will just think I am too young for that type of investment and wont let me be able to buy real estates?

Thanks!

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
You have beat this thing to death. This is the Ford GT Forum. You need to find a real estate forum.

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
Kirby Vieira said:
You have beat this thing to death. This is the Ford GT Forum. You need to find a real estate forum.

its only one thread, so I personally dont see any problem with it. Besides with all due respect if you dont want to read about it simply refrain your self from clicking.

and as far as real estate investing, you may need a bit more than the $10,000 in your account given your age and lack of credit history. Your best bet for NOW maybe to try and get another like minded individual who you can trust and also has money to invest. Otherwise you'll have to wait some time until you build up enough credit, not to mention more money for investment. There is a general rule of you get what you invest. If you invest 10K dont expect to make 100K off of that(theres always exeptions to every rule). Whatever you do ask questions and inform your self before you jump into anything.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
work + good choices is the way to wealth

There have been some good tips about work, owning businesses, working hard, studying and going to school.... there is no one method for aquiring wealth. What has not been mentioned is need vs. want. At the ripe young age of 17 (or 30, or whatever...), choose wisely how you spend/invest your money. Many people get upside down; they spend as much money, if not more, than they make so they can 'keep up with the Jones's'. Don't fall into that trap. Save religiously; make choices between wants and needs. And have patience, Grasshopper.