What all would you upgrade when doing a TT on yoiur GT?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Just curious as the why people do 3.90s with turbo setup? It seems that 1st gear would be completely useless and even 2nd gear would make it tough to get traction. Maybe on an all out race cars that goes to the track, but scratching my head about the benefits on a street car.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Just curious as the why people do 3.90s with turbo setup? It seems that 1st gear would be completely useless and even 2nd gear would make it tough to get traction. Maybe on an all out race cars that goes to the track, but scratching my head about the benefits on a street car.

+1

i would not do 3.90's with a turbo or even a whipple. i would only do 3.90's with the stock blower or a pulley

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

exactly what I was thinking.

Aug 25, 2006

FYI I was not overly excited about the 3.90 gears when they were initially presented however after driving a gal with them I personally converted and have since converted a dozen or more gals and to a person they have been extremely happy with the results.

The 3.90 gears completely changes the feel of the gal through all of the gears and yes; 1st gear is still very usable for typical driving however if asked whether she will be able get traction in first should one elect to hammer down; not a chance in fact even as you move up through the gears if being very aggressive one needs to be careful.

Now as for the benefit of the 3.90 with a TT gal; IMO the benefit is huge as they will allow the gal to spool faster and as such return some the bottom end grunt that is lost as the result of going from a supercharger to a TT and for those that made this journey know to that which I speak.

Having shared this it close to being a non issue because I have one set of gears remaining and when I chatted with Stillen a couple days ago they only have a couple sets remaining and then there will be no more.

Takes care

Shadowman