What a SUSPRISE!!!

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Christmas has come & gone. I was really disappointed that my White & Blue was not in my drive way Christmas Eve. Today i rec'd my call from my dealer, here in Central PA. When the car was ordered back in October i ordered just the way i wanted. Both the GM & Sales agreed to sell me the GT500 at MSRP. I inspected the vehicle, boy those tires are small....Sat down started filling out the paper work, they added a 20K markup on the Mustang. Was i ever pi$$ed. i gently got up & walked out. Salesperson came ofter me, i explained that i purchased my GT from them, ordered the GT500 at MSRP, & now they wanted to put the screws to me. Let me know in a few months when the car does not sell, and by the way leave it in the wrapper.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I can feel your disappointment. Did you have the MSRP agreement written on the original purchase order? If you did I would think you could hold them to it. When it comes to stuff like this I find it hard to trust a gentleman's agreement. Hope things work out so you end up getting what you wanted and I would find it hard to ever do business with them again. Wish you the best in the new year.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Gentleman's agreement. This is really ok. I will most likely find another GT500 in a different state, & only pay the sales tax when i register vehicle in the spring.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That would piss me off too.

In fact it's bloody outrageous.

I assume this dealer cares not a jot for his reputation nor for the building of relationships?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Par for the course with car dealers. Unless you have a legally binding contract they will more often than not, weasel out if they think they can get a better deal. Now even with a binding contract they still try to weasel out! It happened to a fellow forum member on a GT!

BlackICE

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Par for the course with car dealers. Unless you have a legally binding contract they will more often than not, weasel out if they think they can get a better deal. Now even with a binding contract they still try to weasel out! It happened to a fellow forum member on a GT!

BlackICE

You should let the rumor leak back to them that you were so put off you bought a Z06 for less than the Shelby. I'm getting all of my transactions in writing if they are over 5K from now on.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The problem is they are selling for way over MSRP. This is the first Real shelby in 40 years. The price even with the mark-up is very attainable to most people. I have been trying to buy one for $12K over MSRP and no one will sell me one for less then $20K over.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The problem is they are selling for way over MSRP. This is the first Real shelby in 40 years. The price even with the mark-up is very attainable to most people. I have been trying to buy one for $12K over MSRP and no one will sell me one for less then $20K over.

Man, if you can stand the wait, give it 6 months and you'll save yourself the $12k. MSRP is just around the corner on this car. They are going to build too many of them to hold up prices above MSRP.

But once you get it....

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Man, if you can stand the wait, give it 6 months and you'll save yourself the $12k. MSRP is just around the corner on this car. They are going to build too many of them to hold up prices above MSRP.

But once you get it....

I waited on the GT and got a discount off of MSRP and I waited on the Z06 and bought it for MSRP. I really don't feel like waiting for this one. It may come down to MSRP when the 08's arrive hard to tell. My problem is I'm in California so the car has to be ordered with CA. Emission. California is the last place to lower prices. I bought my 07Z and my GT out of state because there 50 State Emission cars. I can't go out of state except to NJ NY and MA(They order CAE) to buy it, it really limits my market. Also keep in mind that alot more people can afford this car then the GT or Z06 so the prices may stay up.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Any dealer from any state can order a car with CA emissions for you. Also the dealer you order the car from can arrange to drop ship it to a state of your choice (CA). I would suggest trying ordering a car from any dealer in the US with CA emissions and have it shipped from Ford to a dealer near you in CA. Easier said than done, I know I tried to do this with a GT. Otherwise you have to pay the CA tariff, or wait until the prices fall.

BlackICE

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Any dealer from any state can order a car with CA emissions for you. Also the dealer you order the car from can arrange to drop ship it to a state of your choice (CA). I would suggest trying ordering a car from any dealer in the US with CA emissions and have it shipped from Ford to a dealer near you in CA. Easier said than done, I know I tried to do this with a GT. Otherwise you have to pay the CA tariff, or wait until the prices fall.

BlackICE

I've been trying this too. If its orderd in January its still a wait for a spring delivery. I would rather be driving sooner.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I've been trying this too. If its orderd in January its still a wait for a spring delivery. I would rather be driving sooner.

Well, patience is a virtue and expedience costs. The choice is yours.

BlackICE

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
Gt 500

I have a GT 500 and it is an outstanding automobile once you accept it for what it is . . . and is intended to be.

Yes, the tires are too small
Yes, the interior is cheesey
Yes, the fit and finish is not up to a ZO6 standard
Yes, it needs independent rear suspension
and Yes, it needs to lose 500 lbs. . . .

But for the $$$ it is the best buy on the planet. It is VERY fast, smokes the tires at will, the traction control is a joke! It is a fantastic daily driver . . . no worries about rain, door dings, parking at the farthest reaches of the mall parking lot, etc, etc.

Ford (Shelby?) could have easily corrected these problems, all at high cost. That was not their intent and frankly, I think they got it right.

Clearly, Ford is not happy with the dealers and the absurd markups (early Ford GT prices come to mind?), but they will come down. I predict that they will be at MSRP as soon as the excess demand falls. Ford is going to build plenty of them, so it's only a matter of time.

If you can't wait, a Roush or Saleen may fit the bit (pun intended)

One last tidbit . . . the car is delivered 'de-tuned' from the factory. My dealer said they would re-tune to 500HP after 2500 breakin miles. Turns out it's all BS. . . The car IS de-tuned when it leaves the factory but it's done to keep the 'lot jockeys' at the rail heads and the dealerships from tearing them up.

To reprogram = disconnect the battery. . . reconnect after 5 minutes . . . when the computer reboots . . . the HP returns to 500.

And, if you are comfortable with the Ford GT's stable and controlable cornering power . . . beware of the Shelby . . . full power should only be applied with the front wheels straight!!

I ordered my car from a reputable dealer some time ago and paid MSRP. However, he is now charging the big premiums like everyone else.

My Ford garage . . . Ford GT, Shelby GT 500, Ford F150 and a '66 Mustang fastback.

:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

BlackICE

I thought all American cars where 5o states compliant, shows me how little I know. Even when you bring into California a brand new California compliant car you still have to do a smog check...

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
California Emmissions?

Can you elaboratre on the difference to a GT when it is certified to CA emmissions? I bought my GT from a dealer in Ohio and the MSO says it is Certified for sale in CA. What would the difference be if it were not Certified for CA?

Thanks for any info.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Can you elaboratre on the difference to a GT when it is certified to CA emmissions? I bought my GT from a dealer in Ohio and the MSO says it is Certified for sale in CA. What would the difference be if it were not Certified for CA?

Thanks for any info.

You couldn't register the car in CA, unless it was bought used and it had some miles on it. CA is the "toughest" emissions laws in the US and also leads the country in idiotic legislation. I don't think that CA emissions really changes anything, unless someone can tell me different. In the past CAE was an option that would cost about 100-150. My belief is that was to cover the longer warrantee period for emission related parts and labor in CA.

BlackICE

Okay if anyone wants a GT500 convertible contact the following guy:

Jace Grabouski
Internet Sales Manager
Danny Zeck Ford
913-727-1650

He said he will sell them at $10K over window sticker! These are the guys I bought my Shelby from.

shelby_4.jpg

Jack @ MMP Sales
Muscle Motors Performance, Inc.
jack@musclemotors.com
http://www.musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778
"Here to Make Racing Fun & Affordable for Everyone!"

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
C

Can you elaboratre on the difference to a GT when it is certified to CA emmissions? Thanks for any info.

I think the difference is that the CA cars speak spanish and are faster going across the border.

Chip

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005

Thanks for any info.

Its very simple the GT has 50 State Emission including California. The GT500 has to be ordered with California Emmission(Only CA.NJ.NY and MA. order Cali Emission) as it is a Federal car. You "Cannot" bring a Federal car into California unless it has 7,500 miles on the ODO.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think the difference is that the CA cars speak spanish and are faster going across the border.Chip

Texas cars are also renowned for their speed transversing the boarder. If you order the Texas Boarder Option, it comes with room for 48 people.