Went to a drive-in ride-in fly-in at at Tillamook Air Museum last Saturday

Tillamook is really nice small (about 38 aircraft) museum near the Oregon coast, focusing on mostly WW II aircraft. It's in a huge wooden dirigible hangar from WW II. Every complete plane they have, they fly. The Museum photographers like the GT so well they moved this plane, which had just landed, to a better location and had me pose the car with it. Came out very nice - now I have new wallpaper ...

P1080145SmSm.jpg

Cheers
David
05 1638

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Great photo. I've been there a couple of times when we used to vacation at Lincoln City. Very interesting history.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Nice lines. Only thing that could have made the picture better is the lines of a hot, 1940s clad, babe.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I took these back in 2009 -

Tillamook was one of the coastal blimp bases during WWII, to defend the country from attacks.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Beautiful pictures Vincent and Ralphie. Interesting fact about the Tillamook air museum in Oregon. A former WWII blimp hanger, it is the largest wooden structure in the USA at 206 feet wide, 1,072 feet long and 192 feet high. It's huge and can be seen from miles away.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Another interesting fact is that after a hot dry summer day of looking at really cool WWII aircraft, WWII equipment/displays and old trains the Tillamook Ice Cream factory and sample bar tour ain't bad either. If you're traveling the North/West PC HWY Tillamook is a must stop, one of my favorite little towns. Good post

Hangar size

Just to give a better idea of how big that hangar is, here's another photo. Note the cars lined up inside the hangar! P1080133Sm.jpg

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
that Corsair is beautiful and that hangar is HUGE!!!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Another interesting fact is that after a hot dry summer day of looking at really cool WWII aircraft, WWII equipment/displays and old trains the Tillamook Ice Cream factory and sample bar tour ain't bad either. If you're traveling the North/West PC HWY Tillamook is a must stop, one of my favorite little towns. Good post

And you will receive a $140 ticket for driving from one parking lot directly into another without putting your seat-belt on. :bored

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Uh-oh, sounds like you made a contribution to the local municipality!:lol

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
exactly. :bored

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Boy, those RED cars look good. Other colors pale in comparison.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Been the Tillamook Air Museum, very cool, did not have my RED GT there, love the photos. The size of the doors and the basket ball goal above the doors (60+ feet high) was impressive. If I remember correctly the other hanger had hay stored in it and it caught on fire and burned. A lot of history, glad it is being kept up for all to see.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
You just KNEW there would be a red car comment from Dr. Frank! But, they sure do look good!

Great bit of historical preservation. Nice to see people doing that with such attention to detail and the inherent beauty of aircraft.

Can you imagine building that structure in the 1940's? At least they were in the right part of the country to get a lot of wood!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Great pictures thanks for posting

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Can you imagine building that structure in the 1940's? At least they were in the right part of the country to get a lot of wood!

After the end of WWII, a number of the blimp hangers in Oregon became indoor sawmills and plywood plants. They are still very impressive structures.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
that is incredible!! LOVE THE MUSTANG! :biggrin

on the list for one of my next places to go check out. place looks incredible!!!