WDC hit 1.3 Million people

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
The revenue hit 56 Million surpasing the recent Super Bowl and blowing away all other events in Michigan.

I saw a Red/white on my way to a quick morning crusie Saturday and while headin gup Woodward I noticed a Black and Silver stripe GTX1

Any idea who these men with great taste are?????

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
TP, sorry I missed meeting you yesterday. I did have the pleasure of meeting nthfinity. We had a great time taking in all the cars and people. What a pleasant guy! While we were having a couple cold ones, a Black w/Silver Stripe GT drove past us...we conjectured it might have been you...but the gentlemen was....aaahhhhh.....hustling along so we couldn't comfirm. :biggrin

Caught a glimps of a Red w/White Stripe GT, and another Black w/Silver stripe GT as well. Funny thing, the Black GT also had a slim piece of metal attached between two of the venturi strakes with 'Ford GT40' embossed on it.

Saw DBK cruising through Birmingham late Friday evening. I think he had a smile on his face!

I also did get a chance to meet the fellow with the Black w/Silver Stripe GTX1 - TGX1 on the Forum. We chatted about his car between several onlookers taking pics of his bad boy. He shared that he lives nearby in Rochester Hills. I tell you, that car is hot....and he is a cool dude too.

What a great weekend!

Caught the news report that Detroit realized a bump of $56M over the weekend compared to the $48M that the Super Bowl generates. Pretty nice deal for Detroit.

BTW - I hear that someone has a McLaren SLR squirreled away in Germany.:eek

Schweeeeeeeet!!

Last edited:

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
It was very nice meeting you Herb, I had a great time. There were a few GT's, but I missed the GTX-1 this year.

Thanks for the hospitality :)

SQUEAKER

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2006
Mount Joy Pa
Another great week end at WDC.I really think this was one of largest crowds ever. Spent most of my time around 9 mile (FoMoCo Site). Sat in the median watching for FGT's. Only saw the Red/White Stripe car.In the Ford (Mustang Alley) display they were giving away the big FGT posters. You know the one with the Red /White Stripe picture. If you ever thought you made a mistake buying your FGT, you should have hung around the poster stand and listened to all the great comments. It made me feel great to hear the comments, see all the people walking around with the posters and watching them take pictures and continue with their comments at Fords 3 FGT's at the entrance to Mustang Alley. Sorry I missed meeting you guys. Hope we can hook up next year.
Sq

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
We had a birthday party for my oldest daughter Saturday and we made a mad dash up woodward around 1 and yes I live on the out skirts of Rochester so maybe I can find our GTX1 in Black & Silver then get some photos of the two gals together.

Kingman, Take care next time we must hook up when your in town if just for a coffee that would be fine by me.

Tom

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Tom, I think it was about 1pm we saw a black and silver streak.......go by.

Let's grab that cup of coffee!

Well, unfortunately the day doesn't appear to be free from some black marks (plenty of skid marks).

I just heard that some guy from West Bloomfield was carjacked out of his Ferrari-- thanks goodness he has been updated from critical to serious but stable-- and then some clown stole a $80K special edition Vette right in down town Birmingham (I think it was a 66).

How the hell does this happen with all the cops and people around? :ack

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
USAToday has a few pics of the Cruise...that show some familiar rides. Slide #3 of Mustang Alley.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/gallery/autos/cars-news/flash.htm?gid=501&aid=3202

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I was on Woodward with my family Thurs, Friday and Saturday with my Blue/WhiteFGT. What a great weekend...!! I never let it out of my sight even when parked in front of Papa Joes...
It is the Dream Cruise....but it is also Detroit.
AJB

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
...........and another Black w/Silver stripe GT as well. Funny thing, the Black GT also had a slim piece of metal attached between two of the venturi strakes with 'Ford GT40' embossed on it........

Well, I got the color wrong on the GT (the mind, it's a terrible thing to waste), but here is a pic..

Attachments

• new_001.jpg
    new_001.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 91

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I cruised side-by-side with this car for a while in my Blue GT. He was an engineer from Ford and the car was from the group at 9 mile. Never did get his name.
AJB

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
How the hell does this happen with all the cops and people around? :ack

'No police in the area & 'carjacker's were armed...bystanders weren't?:shrug

TGX1

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2006
Metro Detroit
didn't notice this thread until now

I have lived in the Detroit area my whole life, but last year was the first WDC I have been to in many years. I took receipt of my GTX1 last year about two weeks after the cruise, so although it was fun, it was a little bitter sweet. This year, i was in heaven driving my Black GTX1 down Woodward and quite surprised quite frankly at the attention the car received. I would have thought that the primarily Hot Rod crowd (much like myself) would take a quick look and move on to the 1960's mod's, but if i could have charged $1 per picture i could add to my collection of one! I saw a few GT's and had the pleasure later on Saturday to meet Kingman, thanks for stopping by to say hello. I look forward to future conversations.

At the risk of sounding funny, the most pleasurable part of the event was seeing 1.3 million smiling faces on people in Michigan and even with the slowly moving parking lot, named Woodward, i have seen more unhappy drivers in my church parking lot after a sunday service than on the four laner on this given weekend.

Good times, good people, incredible cars.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I have lived in the Detroit area my whole life, but last year was the first WDC I have been to in many years. I took receipt of my GTX1 last year about two weeks after the cruise, so although it was fun, it was a little bitter sweet. This year, i was in heaven driving my Black GTX1 down Woodward and quite surprised quite frankly at the attention the car received. I would have thought that the primarily Hot Rod crowd (much like myself) would take a quick look and move on to the 1960's mod's, but if i could have charged $1 per picture i could add to my collection of one! I saw a few GT's and had the pleasure later on Saturday to meet Kingman, thanks for stopping by to say hello. I look forward to future conversations.

At the risk of sounding funny, the most pleasurable part of the event was seeing 1.3 million smiling faces on people in Michigan and even with the slowly moving parking lot, named Woodward, i have seen more unhappy drivers in my church parking lot after a sunday service than on the four laner on this given weekend.

Good times, good people, incredible cars.

If you heard a Black & Silver GT beeping in front of your GTX1 that would be me:thumbsup