Warning McGard Wheel Locks

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Installed a set yesterday - PN 24130, size 1/2" x 20. Torqued to spec, heard a snap and found the keyed portion of the wheel lock had popped off. I kept my cool and used a hammer & chisel to gently rotate the remaining portion of the lock off. I was shocked by how quickly and painlessly I was able to resolve what at first appeared to be a disaster. I've used McGard products many times in the past and found them to be of the highest quality; they still are, read on.

I returned the alleged set and although reluctant, I purchased a second set figuring it was just a freak occurrence. I installed and torqued the new set to spec (100 lb. ft.) and all seems well. Drove the car briefly last night, checked it out this morning and found the same problem had prevailed, this time on two wheels. My girlfriend was able to remove the broken locks by hand! Bear in mind I torqued the locks to 100 lb. ft.

So here's the bottom line. The McGard Wheel Locks are too shallow for the GT's wheel studs so when tighening the locks pressure is applied to the keyed section of the cap as oppossed to the tapered seat. This is evidenced by the fact that after the cap snapped off the remaining portion of the lock was only hand tight. Circular scoring inside the broken keyed section substantiates this point.

So the problem does not relate to quality but rather the application.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The nuts are supposed to be torqued to 111 according to the Technical Service Manual. FYI

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
fjpikul said:
The nuts are supposed to be torqued to 111 according to the Technical Service Manual. FYI
2005 Owner's Manual reads 100 lb. ft.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
ACRJoe, yes, this could of been a serious situation since you were not actually torquing the wheel to spec, since the nut had bottomed out on the stud as you had mentioned.

I had seen blown head gaskets on an engine once because (it was a newly installed stud kit) the nuts were "running out of thread" and therefore not completely compressing the head against the engine block. This was supposed to be a "pro" engine builder, that's why I do my own work.

Nice find, I am glad that this was found without any disasters. Thanks for your update on this.

Jay
www.gtsaver.com
fjpikul said:

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
So which brand of wheel locks would work, anyone?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Your garage and and a big frigging Doberman! :cheers

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
HeritageBruce said:
So which brand of wheel locks would work, anyone?
Personally I use SMITH & WESSON.

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
McGuard

I had exactly the same thing occur. Torqued to proper level, but found all four of mine "popped the top" soon after installation. Very easily and scary too. In each case it appears the inside top of the nut hit the lug and caused the failure. :eek
I gave up and went back to the original lugs, whereas I never leave the Gt alone anyway.
StuM

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
StuM said:
..... whereas I never leave the Gt alone anyway.
StuM
Yea, me too. I just thought that given even a slight opportunity some knucklehead might try to do something stupid. With that said, I'll go with Spirit's S & W strategy.