Warning for New Owners

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Alex's death last weekend reminds all of us we should treat these cars with the respect they deserve. I am in charge of a large Trauma program and see lots of deaths first hand, but this accident on the other side of the world has bothered me more than I expected.

I'm don't know what happened in Moscow Saturday, but I know for a fact that these fine machines are not the easiest cars in the world to drive at the limit as they have no traction and stability control nannies and more horsepower, even fully stock, than a Nascar racing car.

I am like most of you, a middle aged car nut who thinks he can drive better than he really can. I've owned a 911 for 22 years and have gone to the Bondurant Driving school. But the 911 has 220 hp and that school was back in 91 before kids. Now my eyes are worse and my reflexes have slowed and I don't remember what they taught me...

I have taken the GT to a track day a couple of times. I was conservative but I still managed to spin out in one of the S curves. Nothing was hurt, but when I mentioned it on this site I got "but I think the GT is easy to drive at the limit". Really?

This prompted me to take the old 911 to Skip Barber for a Driver Education course. It was great and now I know what I can and can't do.

Most of all, I have new respect for the best car ever made in America. Know your limits, and no street racing!

OzarkGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 4, 2009
Well said.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
+1

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
That event disturbed me as well.

I try an keep a list of catastrophic but potential events in the back of my mind, anytime I cross 80 mph.

-tire blow out
-bad road design, broken drains, covers, etc.
-deer
-trees falling
-Other's reckless maneuver (cross yellow line, cut-off, clip)
-jealous/vindictive drivers
-crime

I drive on the Merritt Pkwy near CT which is well known for Deer, falling trees, and with only two lanes aggresive passing and clown-driving minivans.

Many here have had the tree limb fall, deer, and posted extreme stories of road rage. I try and keep in mind that the car can attract a lot of bad-news in a hurry. You have to manage your risk profile from night driving, to cold temp driving to even taking pics in deserted areas. You have to keep in mind the GT has a huge "$" sign above it and that can attract all sorts of reactions.

I keep the flat out maneuvers to truly deserted space with lack of fixed objects and options for exit/escape.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I am sure that most of us felt the loss of Alex more than we expected. He is part of our little family here. We watched him get his car two years and enjoy every second of his ownership. We all feel totally helpless when someone passes, as there is nothing we can do to bring that person back. What we can do is take the time to look around at the great lives and blessings that we have been given. I am more thankful of what I have today, then I have been pretty much any other time in my life. I have made several wonderful friends on this forum. I am happy to say that I knew Alex if only for a brief moment in his life. What really stands out to me in an event like this is how close I can feel to a person I have never physically met. A person in a totally different end of the world. In the end, we are not that far apart. Take care my friends.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I am sure that most of us felt the loss of Alex more than we expected. He is part of our little family here. We watched him get his car two years and enjoy every second of his ownership. We all feel totally helpless when someone passes, as there is nothing we can do to bring that person back. What we can do is take the time to look around at the great lives and blessings that we have been given. I am more thankful of what I have today, then I have been pretty much any other time in my life. I have made several wonderful friends on this forum. I am happy to say that I knew Alex if only for a brief moment in his life. What really stands out to me in an event like this is how close I can feel to a person I have never physically met. A person in a totally different end of the world. In the end, we are not that far apart. Take care my friends.

+1

smallblk400

May 17, 2009
Phoenix, AZ.
Very sad!!! I pray for all his family as well as loved ones

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I am very saddened by this news. Makes me really wonder about this life and to count our blessing's and cherish every moment. I never met up with Alex, but you could tell by those videos that he was a good egg, just a Tovarishch.

I hope I am not over stepping my bounds by asking, how did it happen?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
are you guys talking about Alex911???

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Joe, well said.

If I may add one thing. I have a love/hate relationship with the GT due to the attention that it brings. On several occasions this attention has almost resulted in collision with people so excited at seeing one that they seem to forget that they are driving in another vehicle! Also the times driving at night when all of a sudden one is assaulted with flashes of cameras that kill ones night vision. Long ago I was taught to drive looking for avenues of escape (bondurant executive protection course -- highly recommend it! http://www.bondurant.com/high_performance_driving_school/executive_protection.php) and to be honest that course has kept me from crashing a GT more than once.

Street racing is never a good idea as the variables are too great to overcome and the risk to bystanders is too great. IMHO. I think it is too much for us to assume things. Alex seemed to be a very good guy, full of life and in a bit of a spot light from the drag videos. But all in all ... he met his end driving a car he loved.... and in my book although his end was tragically early at least he met it doing something he enjoyed. RIP Alex.

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington

Yes

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
This is shocking. First I had heard of this. Alex sounded like a very passionate car guy. What a shame. RIP Alex, and prayers to your family.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Most of us tend to overestimate our talents behind the wheel. Being conservative is the best insurance we can have to remain safe.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I would never condone acting in a way that places others in danger but past that...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!

Life is meant to be lived!

RIP Alex from what I've seen I liked your style.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Originally Posted by Shadowman before the labor day weekend

It is a long weekend with many participating in automotive related events as well as simply driving; be safe out there and be defensive; assume the person along side of you in their vehicle is a problem thus insuring that all have a great time and return home with no issues.

Now add to this we have a large number of new Ford GT owners and I must share as always; take the time to get to know your gal. They will play harder than most are prepared to in the beginning.All the best and “Happy Holiday”

Takes care

Shadowman

I suggest to the powers to be on the Forum that a combination of what has been stated by Shadowman, Joehand 1 and Kayvan by posted somewhere on the Forum such in the in the F.A.Q section so that new owners can be apprised of what can be faced when driving our beloved GTs. Hopefully a new owner or an long time owner who reads the post will benefit from the knowledge and experience of others before them.

UFO

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Yes, sir. :frown

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Godspeed Alex

ford gt 1625

GT Owner
Sep 1, 2009
Atlanta GA
I am a new owner and have had fast cars , but not a mid engine fast car. A lot of people compare this car to a indy type car. How many times have you seen experience drivers spin on cold tires. I for one will take time to get to know her. Find a hugh parking lot and respect this car and know my limits. I have seen to many FGT's totaled . I didn't know Alex but this really hits home and makes you think. Maybe this will save another life . Really sorry to hear about this loss.

I will say a prayer for his family.

Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I will never forget a Ford rep telling me the record for a Ford GT. It went from the dealership to totalled in 7 miles.

I had my basic training with an SVT Terminator. Here is some of what I learned.

1. Never go into boost with the steering off center.
2. Look well ahead of your vehicle. Once you punch it you will be on that spot in seconds.
3. Cold weather adds 100HP and traction goes to crap.
4. This is a hard one. If someone challenges you to race on the street don't do it. I have gone full on on the street a few times, but no longer than a couple of seconds. Every year I do it less.