W50 oil?

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines
Wonder if anyone can help me here. I was gonna put the XL-4 Motorcraft supercharger oil but when I got in touch with the Kenne Bell customer support, they mentioned that I should fill up the supercharger with regular 50w engine oil. I was thinking if this is monograde oil or if I could use multigrade (5w50, 15w50) engine oil? its bluish-green in color. Any ideas?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What type of blower do you have on the car? A Kenny Bell? That would be a 1st. For a stock blower or a Whipple 50w motor oil would be completely WRONG!

H

HHGT

What type of blower do you have on the car? A Kenny Bell? That would be a 1st. For a stock blower or a Whipple 50w motor oil would be completely WRONG!

I'll bet he's got the KB snout.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I'll bet he's got the KB snout.

I don't know anything about the KB snout, other than some owners had leakage problems. Still 50w motor oil sound less than optimal, given motor oils have additives to combat combustion blowby that is absent in the supercharger.

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines
I have the Kenne Bell snout. Called Kenne Bell and they recommended using 50W engine oil, they say that's what they use and that is the bluish-green liquid. does this make sense? I'm hesitant to do this and wanted a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion from you guys at this forum. :)

I'm doing this because the oil seal of the snout was leaking. Changed the seal and have to top it up with oil.

H

HHGT

I have the Kenne Bell snout. Called Kenne Bell and they recommended using 50W engine oil, they say that's what they use and that is the bluish-green liquid. does this make sense? I'm hesitant to do this and wanted a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion from you guys at this forum. :)

I'm doing this because the oil seal of the snout was leaking. Changed the seal and have to top it up with oil.

I would you recommend calling them back and ask to speak with Jim Bell directly. He's my neighbor in Lake Havasu. If you're still having problems, PM me.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't know, but if the Kenny Bell snout replaces all of the stock gears and bearing on the front side of the blower and that is what the recommend it may be OK. Hopefully someone on the forum with a Kenny Bell will have a better answer. Try emailing Jack at Muscle Motors as I believe they have installed at least one of them.

http://www.musclemotors.com/index.asp?PageAction=Contactus

or Rich at the GTguys

http://www.thegtguy.com/

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
My somn has a KB on his 03 Terminator and it DOES NOT use 50W motor oil.

All SC oil's I have seen are clear, expensive and ~ somewhat heavy viscosity but in no means straight 50W :eek

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines
I don't know, but if the Kenny Bell snout replaces all of the stock gears and bearing on the front side of the blower and that is what the recommend it may be OK. Hopefully someone on the forum with a Kenny Bell will have a better answer. Try emailing Jack at Muscle Motors as I believe they have installed at least one of them.

http://www.musclemotors.com/index.asp?PageAction=Contactus

or Rich at the GTguys

http://www.thegtguy.com/
thanks....i just emailed them. :) ill post their response for future reference.

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines
I would you recommend calling them back and ask to speak with Jim Bell directly. He's my neighbor in Lake Havasu. If you're still having problems, PM me.
appreciate it...will give em a call tomorrow. :)

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines
My somn has a KB on his 03 Terminator and it DOES NOT use 50W motor oil.

All SC oil's I have seen are clear, expensive and ~ somewhat heavy viscosity but in no means straight 50W :eek
exactly what i was thinking. was wondering if i should just top it up with XL-4. to be on the safe side ill wait for the response of the people i emailed. thanks.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
S/C fluid

emails sent

We only use the Motorcraft XL-4 fluid.

Rich

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines
emails sent

We only use the Motorcraft XL-4 fluid.

Rich
got your email....thanks for the prompt response. :) im leaning towards Motorcraft XL-4 as well. Thanks Rich!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have installed the KB snout before and I currently run one on my car. The KB DOES NOT replace any of the gears. The bottom line, is that I would trust Ford's recommendation - after all it is their SC and their gears.

The only rationale that I can think of for KB's recommendation is that 50W *may* save you a couple of bucks - but it probably literally only a couple of bucks and not worth it, IMO.

I would advise that it is a VERY easy decision for you to make.