VIR Requirements

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Arai GP5W. Kelvin, check OGRacing.com, UPR.com, Winecountrymotorsports.com, Saferacer.com.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Arai GP5W. Kelvin, check OGRacing.com, UPR.com, Winecountrymotorsports.com, Saferacer.com.

That's what I have too. They seem to have the best head clearance. They don't come in red though.

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario

Thats the one!
Mike

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Ordered my Arai GP5W from Pole Position USA.

Magic

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
Hey Magic,

I see in your signature that your a fellow MG enthusiast, I have factory MGB GT V8 (Commission #101) 78 roadster and Injected TR8.
There seems to be quite a few British car fans on the forum here.
Mike

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Yes I've been a fan for many years. Sad to say both of my MG's are storage queens right now. 72 MGB GT was in a complete tear down rebuild stage when I got the nod to come to Indonesia so I hope I remember where all the parts go. Protecting my digital pictures of taking it apart like gold. Have been to several of John Twist's courses and had a blast learning about engines, carbs and transmissions. I have a friend in OKC who imported an MGB GT V8 into the US. His is a beautiful car and has won many awards. Don't see many true MG factory V8's in America.

While on assignment in London I owned a 1996 MGF VVC which was a great car and one that not many americans get to drive. Used to own a 78 B roadster, with 25K miles and sold to a friend when I made the London move. Earliest MG exposure was to a 71 Midget that my sister had while we both were in college. Couldn't believe my Dad would buy her that car to go to school with. She was always asking me to check and see why it was not running. One of my great MG memories was when I swapped cars with my sister one weekend and wife and I took a long weekend fall foliage trip in the Midget camping out along the way. Nice crisp fall air temp, colorfull foliage and sunny weahter with the top down on back roads in NE Oklahoma. MG Heaven!

Magic

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
At VIR, you will need long sleeves, pants, closed toe shoe and a helmet. I was at VIR this past weekend as the guest of a VIR club member...attached is there tech inspection form and the requirements...which are pretty much the same as I have seen at other club events there (e.g. Ferrari, Audi, Car Guys, etc.). I have not heard whether we will have our own form or not...but this should serve as a starting point. By the way, our 5-point harness is fine. Some car clubs have their own rules, which may be stricter than VIR, but not "looser" than those requirements. For example, the local Porsche club will not let me use our harness because the submarine belt does not pass through the seat...so I don't go to their events.

Attachments

• cc_techform_09 (1).pdf
    95.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
At VIR, you will need long sleeves, pants, closed toe shoe and a helmet. I was at VIR this past weekend as the guest of a VIR club member...attached is there tech inspection form and the requirements...

Interesting that they do not have a fire extinguisher requirement....

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
None of the local tracks (e.g. VIR, Roebling road, etc.) that I have been to require fire extinguishers. In fact, the only time I have personally seen this has been at 1 mile runs, like the Texas mile...even Texas World Speedway did not require it.

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
nsfkid - I really like your animated .gif avatar! All she needs is a "G" on the left side and a "T" on the right!

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
What about the statement on brake fluid being 3 months old or less? Is that something that will be required?

Magic

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Thank you all again for your most helpful suggestions. I ended up buying two helmets, driving suit, gloves, balaclava, etc., from SoloRacer. This not all for VIR but in anticipation of Mile events. Dealt directly with Brett who's the owner/founder and he was very responsive. All goodies being delivered today to the Umstead. Waldo, thanks for the tip. Andy, the Missus and I look forward to continuing our lessons. The Saferacer tip was great but Mrs. Aloha preferred one of the flame paint jobs at Solo.

Brian, we have much to catch up!

See you at VIR.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Any recommendations for those of us who don't see the track that often? I'm all about paying for quality when it comes to buying safety equipment, but as much as I see the track, I won't need anything fancy.

Best Regards,
Waldo[/QUOTE]

Waldo, here's a recent picture of me in my borrowed helmet. Like you, I don't like to spend alot, I need the money for the cigars.

Attachments

• Vintage helmet.jpg
    Vintage helmet.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Waldo, thanks for the tip... See you at VIR.

You're most welcome. I realize that 10% off of a couple of helmets isn't huge, but it's somehow easier on the wife when you tell her it was on sale. I'm looking forward to checking out your new turbos.

Waldo, here's a recent picture of me in my borrowed helmet. Like you, I don't like to spend alot, I need the money for the cigars.

I like it! Maybe I should just buy a Snell sticker and slap it on my old flight school helmet.

I ended up ordering a HJC AR-10 because it had the same name as one of my rifles...

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Good Call on on the AR-10 is it bulletproof?