Viper in Hawaii

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
On my birthday, I rented a 2006 Dodge Viper "mamba" and drove around Oahu. First time driving this beast and came away with some definite impressions.
1) This is a "man's" car...no doubt about it. Heavy clutch but engages right at the top, making it relatively easy to drive in traffic.
2) Very comfortable seats...drove it virtually the entire day with the top down. However, I would think in this price range, lowering the top would be automated not manual...but overall no big deal.
3) Cabin gets hot. Console gets hot. The reviews had said this but I guess I had to experience it.
4) Sills get hot...not a problem because the wife and I are relatively limber. But if you're carrying a few extra pounds and have trouble swinging the legs around...this could be difficult (Jungle gym entry and exit).
5) At slow speeds the big "meat" tires tend to wander, finding all potholes and uneveness in the road...but with increasing throttle the Viper becomes very purposeful and actually easier to drive.

All in all, I really enjoyed it. So glad that I did not rent the alternative C6 convertible, which would have been more practical but no 6-speed manual and not near as special as the viper.:biggrin

On a different note, drove to Kailua bay and sea kayaked (probably near the Obama's) but we never saw any evidence of them or increased security. Had a "black out" on the whole island of Oahu on the evening of my birthday that lasted 12 hours (longer for other areas of the island outside of Waikiki). The black-out was never fully explained???:bored

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Did you stop at Buzz's for a coctail on the beach near Kailua?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
My 2008 Vipers run much cooler than my '96 and '06 with the change in the exhaust. They deleted the X pipe under the cabin which greatly reduced the heat. Also, the new revised gearbox and 600 HP motor add much more driveability and more "fun" to the equation. The car always was known for its "tramlining" over road imperfections, but some has been dialed out for 2008.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Did you stop at Buzz's for a coctail on the beach near Kailua?

I did not...wish I would have known about this!! Sounds good.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
My 2008 Vipers run much cooler than my '96 and '06 with the change in the exhaust. They deleted the X pipe under the cabin which greatly reduced the heat. Also, the new revised gearbox and 600 HP motor add much more driveability and more "fun" to the equation. The car always was known for its "tramlining" over road imperfections, but some has been dialed out for 2008.

Yes, I have heard that the 2008 version has really improved but maintained the viper essence. At some point, I really want to drive the new ACR!

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
On my birthday, I rented a 2006 Dodge Viper "mamba" and drove around Oahu. First time driving this beast and came away with some definite impressions.
1) This is a "man's" car...no doubt about it. Heavy clutch but engages right at the top, making it relatively easy to drive in traffic.
2) Very comfortable seats...drove it virtually the entire day with the top down. However, I would think in this price range, lowering the top would be automated not manual...but overall no big deal.
3) Cabin gets hot. Console gets hot. The reviews had said this but I guess I had to experience it.
4) Sills get hot...not a problem because the wife and I are relatively limber. But if you're carrying a few extra pounds and have trouble swinging the legs around...this could be difficult (Jungle gym entry and exit).
5) At slow speeds the big "meat" tires tend to wander, finding all potholes and uneveness in the road...but with increasing throttle the Viper becomes very purposeful and actually easier to drive.

I have 1200 miles now on an ACR and here're replies to your comment:
1)The '08's clutch (including the ACR) is about 4 to 6 pounds lighter (32-34 range) with even better engagement and my old lady found it easy enough for her.
2) Top should stay manual to keep weight down. Seat is too high and should have manul height adjustment though.
3) Like Tim indicated, the '08's run much cooler w/o the crossover right under your ass. I don't find the '08's cabin much hotter than my old C5 Z06 which had a very hot center trans tunnel to the touch. Footwell could get a little warm so I set the A/C to blow 2/3 down and 1/3 up.
4) Side sill are hot to the touch but not enough to burn any more.
5) This is so true and a good alignment can get most of it out. I'm about to put 305 tires in the front and will have to see if it will make things worse than w/ the 295's.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I have 1200 miles now on an ACR and here're replies to your comment:
1)The '08's clutch (including the ACR) is about 4 to 6 pounds lighter (32-34 range) with even better engagement and my old lady found it easy enough for her.
2) Top should stay manual to keep weight down. Seat is too high and should have manul height adjustment though.
3) Like Tim indicated, the '08's run much cooler w/o the crossover right under your ass. I don't find the '08's cabin much hotter than my old C5 Z06 which had a very hot center trans tunnel to the touch. Footwell could get a little warm so I set the A/C to blow 2/3 down and 1/3 up.
4) Side sill are hot to the touch but not enough to burn any more.
5) This is so true and a good alignment can get most of it out. I'm about to put 305 tires in the front and will have to see if it will make things worse than w/ the 295's.

Thanks. One of these days I will drive the 2008 viper which I hear from everyone is much improved. However, don't misunderstand me, I really enjoyed the 2006 car. As I mentioned it was much more special than a vette, and the seats were some of the best yet.