VIN plate question

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
I, along with some of the local GT owners, had the opportunity to spend the morning at the Gainey Village Cars & Coffee. Towards the end of the event I was approached by someone who was employed by Ford for 35 years. He was curious why my ’06 VIN plate rivets were not the typical Rosette VIN rivets. I couldn’t really answer his question. The best I could do was to check out the last remaining GT at C&C for a comparison. Team Jeff’s ’05 had the Rosette VIN rivets. Is this another difference between the two model years or just a variable with the build?
John

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 4,849
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7,541

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
When we replaced a dash 2 years ago we noticed that the car didn't have the normal Ford rivets either. We took a poll of the cars we had at the time and some others that we have seen since and noticed for no reason some had Stainless Steel rivets and others had AL rivets. I don't know what the real reason is other than SSV wasn't supplied the correct rivets during assembly. We just put Stainless Steel back in the car so it was original to that car.
This would make a good survey though. Just another thing to make each car unique in its own way.

Rich

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
This is my mid production '05...?

Attachments

• DSC01261.JPG
    DSC01261.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 1,948
Aug 25, 2006
All four of the gals in my facility at this time have what appear to be a-typical stainless steel rivets

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Stainless rivets on '05 #1297

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if the variation in the rivets were year specific or random. At this point, it appears to be random.
John

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
We are in danger of becoming Aston Martin owners. This condition leads to a compulsion to check the minutia of our nuts and bolts. :wink

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I actually remember during our tour of SSV in 2005, it was mentioned that the rivets used for the VIN plate were selected and mandated by the feds....... No idea if really true.....

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
John's post is timely because it's good to get this settled while those who built the cars have the information fresh in their minds. These issues don't get easier as time passes.

Case in point: Twenty-some years ago I went through hell trying to get my '67 E-Type roadster titled in AZ - exactly because of the type of rivets in the data plate. I was almost treated as a criminal. I got bounced to the main DMV office in Phoenix for a final determination. The young bucks were ready to crucify me, but the final authority was a little old white-haired lady. She declared, "THAT'S the kind of rivet Jaguar used in the sixties." I often wonder what would have happened if I'd shown up after her retirement.

Perhaps it's not a bad idea for owners to photographically document for their own records (and that of future owners) what rivet they currently have. With digital photo date info, it's something that might come in handy in the future.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
John's post is timely because it's good to get this settled while those who built the cars have the information fresh in their minds. These issues don't get easier as time passes.

Case in point: Twenty-some years ago I went through hell trying to get my '67 E-Type roadster titled in AZ - exactly because of the type of rivets in the data plate. I was almost treated as a criminal. I got bounced to the main DMV office in Phoenix for a final determination. The young bucks were ready to crucify me, but the final authority was a little old white-haired lady. She declared, "THAT'S the kind of rivet Jaguar used in the sixties." I often wonder what would have happened if I'd shown up after her retirement.

Perhaps it's not a bad idea for owners to photographically document for their own records (and that of future owners) what rivet they currently have. With digital photo date info, it's something that might come in handy in the future.

Good idea. We've all been to the DMV with an exotic and experienced similar situations.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
When I moved back to California I had to reregister my cars from Illinois. I self imported my '85 Porsche 930, and had a local shop do the DOT mods, they documented everything and added the cat, even the buzzer for the key in ignition. When the DMV sent me to their own inspection station, they determined that when the mod shop had the vin plate made they missed one letter, at that time vin numbers where not installed in European cars. Also did not install the fuel pump restricter unit in the gas pipe that prevented the larger non lead nozzle from being inserted. I then had to bring the car to the CHP, who kept it for a day to determine that it was not 'hot' and buy the restricter pipe and install it. I think that part from Porsche was about $300 because they where not happy about gray market cars. The people at DMV where doing their job, but as Gulf states above, we have all been through it.

I have other stories to share, from bringing in my wife's 300STD and having to take it to the station to determine it was a diesel, since at the time many people where pulling out the diesels from their Olds and Caddy's to a couple of more complicated ones...

Happy New Year...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
"wife" and "STD" in back to back words...... Sorry could not resist..... as it is horrible to take things out of context.....

Well as for rivets, I think the only upside to the regulations that have made these stories possible, is that at least here in the US, seems once you actually have a title, makes things easier (CA might be the exception for now)......

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
"wife" and "STD" in back to back words...... Sorry could not resist..... as it is horrible to take things out of context.....

Well as for rivets, I think the only upside to the regulations that have made these stories possible, is that at least here in the US, seems once you actually have a title, makes things easier (CA might be the exception for now)......

My E-Type roadster noted above was on a California title when I bought it, and thus needed a physical inspection in AZ. If I ever sold the car to someone in AZ it would be a piece of cake - just a paper exercise. Likely a much different story if it went to another state.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
vin plate from #4's Rivits.

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
vin plate from #4's Rivits.

Nice pic. Please provide microscope.:biggrin

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I was unable to register a 1998 Diablo SV Monterey Edition here in California because they DMV said that the way the VIN plate was attached to the car and the location of the VIN plate was incorrect. I had to get documentation from the factory proving that the location and VIN plate were correct, and then have the supervisor at the local DMV sign off on it. A little bit of a pain, but not unreasonable.

Basically, the DMV from my experience on this car and others is that they err on the side of caution, and if there are any questions you will get declined. There is just no way to experct a DMV official to know how all the different manufacturers attach VIN plates, hell I sure don't know.

I seriously doubt anyone would have trouble with a Ford GT being that is a 50 state car, and that the VIN plate is in the normal position and attached in the usual way. Also, it's very easy to prove that it's a real car. 1 of 12 European cars, imported cars like Bony's 930, etc. is where you will run into problems, but they are not totally unreasonable people that with your help will get to the truth and allow the car to be registered.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yup, your spot on....
by the way, do you have a microscope so I can check out that avatar of yours again,,,
it has been to long!! :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
sorry :lol

Attachments

• Ford_Gt_003 large.jpg
    Ford_Gt_003 large.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 562

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I hear that the cars with the aluminum rivets are much faster than those with stainless.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I hear that the cars with the aluminum rivets are much faster than those with stainless.

Frank will say the ones that are anodized red are faster.